PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Removable Table Saw Splitter

Brian Knop
12-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Anyone own or ever use? Thinking about buying one.

Brian

Ted Baca
12-08-2006, 11:41 PM
I was considering one recently when shoping for a new TS. I looked at General (who now owns Excalibur that makes the Merlin) and not all thier saws accept the Merlin. There are some models that they make it for. Look at Generals website www.general.ca (http://www.general.ca) . I also looked at the biesemeyer pop in splitter and think it is easier and better. I wound up buying a SawStop with a Riving knife. But having a Merlin application was a strong consideration when I was looking at other saws.

Hoa Dinh
12-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I've never used one, but wonder how much better it is compared to a stock splitter.

One drawback of the stock splitter that is still in the Merlin design is that it sticks out from the back of the saw. This doesn't seem like a drawback until you design an outfeed table. You'll need to cut an opening in the outfeed table to accommodate the splitter. The opening has to be large enough so that the splitter can tilt with the blade in bevel cutting.

I read that with some saws, the Merlin prevents the blade from tilting all the way to 45 degrees. Make sure you check this out.

If you own a Delta (not the non-Unisaw cabinet saw), or a Grizzly/ShopFox cabinet saw, the Delta Removable Splitter may be a better choice.

Mike Null
12-09-2006, 8:06 AM
I have a Delta contractors saw with the Merlin and find it to be satisfactory. I've had to bolt the anti-kickback pawls out of the way on a couple of jobs but on the whole I like the tool.

The comment about the out feed table is accurate but not a show stopper.

Glen Blanchard
12-09-2006, 9:56 AM
I purchased one (a Merlin) a few years back and, although I cannot remember what about it I did not like, I returned it. I do remember not liking it AT ALL. IMHO, if Biesemeyer makes a version of their snap-in splitter for your saw, that is the way to go - no question. I had one of these on my Jet cabinet saw (just sold it last week to make room for the SawStop) and absolutely loved it.