PDA

View Full Version : Shaper cutters, 2 wing, 3 wing...pros and cons.

chris del
12-08-2006, 9:03 PM
I have a 1973 cast iron Canadian made Poitras shaper. It is a single speed 8500 rpm and leaves a fenomanal finish with my first and only cutter, a Freud 5" 2+2 raised panel cutter.
I am looking at buying a good quality rail and style set and have seen both 2 and 3 wing Freeborn cutters. Why should I buy one over the other?

Bob Dodge
12-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Chris,

I'm glad to hear you had good results with the Freud 2+2 cutter. I've heard many similar comments over the last while. Where did you buy it?

I'm presuming the 3-wing cutters would leave a smoother finish since you'd have 50% more cuts-per-rotation. Also, you could increase your feed-rate.

Still looking for a shaper here. Found a very nice 3 HP Delta, at a fairly reasonable price, but it'll have to wait a bit longer. Also went to see a 5 HP King Industrial. Very nice machine.

Bob

Stephen Morrison
12-09-2006, 1:34 PM
Chris,
I have a Delta 3 hp shaper with a 3/4" spindle and use the Freeborn 2 wing rail and stile set along with a Freeborn 2 wing raised panel cutter. I have been extremely pleased with the results of these cutters. Clean cuts with no burning what-so-ever. I do not have a power feeder yet, so everything has been pushed through by hand with great results.

The Freeborn cutters are the only cutters I have used to this point, so I can't compare to anything else, but I can't imagine anything better. The Freeborn tooling is quite an investment and you'll definately be able to find less expensive cutters, depending on your budget.

Good luck with decision.

Steve

Steve Clardy
12-09-2006, 7:05 PM
Three wing.
Smoother finish, less tearout

Phil Pritchard
12-10-2006, 2:20 PM
Three wing.
Smoother finish, less tearout
Only if the same feed rate is maintained , alternatively

Three wing.