PDA

View Full Version : OT:Door chime that signals a door has been opened

Mike Mastin
11-07-2003, 11:22 AM
I am trying to find out where I can get a device that will ring a chime when someone opens a door. Any ideas where something like this can be found?

Todd Burch
11-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Radio Shack.

Jason Roehl
11-07-2003, 6:34 PM
Sorry, can't resist---

COWBELLS!!

(no batteries needed!!)

Mike Mastin
11-07-2003, 6:47 PM
Home Depot had exactly what I was looking for! Imagine that :-)
On another topic, we just our DSL up and working. I can not believe that I have been forced to use dial up for so long. We move the business to the metropolis of McKinney and wah lah, conveniences abound everywhere :-)

Jim Becker
11-07-2003, 6:48 PM
Steve has a nice one on his shop door...even jiggling it rings the bell!! But seriously Radio Shack is one good source and SmartHome.com has some options, too.

Mike Mastin
11-07-2003, 7:17 PM
Jim,

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to drive all the way upto McKinney and visiting with me. I really enjoyed our visit and hope that I can come up and vist you sometime soon!

mike malone
11-09-2003, 5:10 PM
Steve has a nice one on his shop door...even jiggling it rings the bell!! But seriously Radio Shack is one good source and SmartHome.com has some options, too.

OK
seriously....anyone know where to find an old fashioned mechanical bell that rings when the door is pushed open?... (once called a shop bell?)
or does this belong on neanderthal forum??
thanks
mike

Jim Becker
11-09-2003, 5:30 PM
OK
seriously....anyone know where to find an old fashioned mechanical bell that rings when the door is pushed open?... (once called a shop bell?)
or does this belong on neanderthal forum??
thanks
mike

Lehman's has at least one possibilty including a "shopkeeper's bell" at http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3328&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=bell

Todd Burch
11-09-2003, 5:41 PM
Two things.

1) Mike, what I would really like is 2 bells. One that rings when a time-wasting tire-kicker person comes in and one that rings differently when an educated, decision making person comes over. I wonder how much that would cost? ;)

2) Another good source for bells is Edwards Signal Solutions (http://www.edwards-signals.com/). Just about anything you would want. I learned about them after I bought an antique red 10" school bell. With some help from their technical staff, I got it working and use it as an alarm in the shop. It's hooked up to a motion sensor. It is VERY loud - it's a mechanical ringer on a big 'ol solenoid. All I need to complete the alarm system is an inductive motion sensor instead of a resistive motion sensor.

Todd.