PDA

View Full Version : Dado sets.

Gregg Feldstone
12-08-2006, 8:41 PM
Comments on the Freud Super Dado vs Freud Dial-a Width Dado set?
Whats the best Dado set out there?

Allen Bookout
12-08-2006, 9:35 PM
I don't know about the Freud Super Dado but I have the Freud 608 Dial-a Width and it is the cats meow. Cuts great and the adjustability is terrific.

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 9:40 PM
The SD508 an SD6008 are the bee's knees of the Freud line...(I wanted to type "cat's meow", but Allen beat me to it... :) )

Gregg Feldstone
12-08-2006, 9:47 PM
Are they basically the same except for the Dial-a-width fearure? If I don't care about accuracy beyone 1/32" do I really need the Dial?

David Duke
12-08-2006, 9:48 PM
Count me as a fan of the SD608, the adjustability is fantastic (no shims!!), the finish cut is clean and flat.

Jake Helmboldt
12-08-2006, 9:59 PM
The Infinity Dadonator has gotten rave reviews from several sources and also has a very competitive price (~$180). I'd like to hear some first-hand accounts though. The newer Dewalt can also be had for a nice price but I can't ever find feeback on it? Anyone using that?

The Forrest is just too much for me to justify.

JH

Allen Bookout
12-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Jake,

I don't have the Dadonator but I have two of Infinity's rip blades and they are first class. I have a number of their router bits and they are top notch also. I would not hesitate to buy any of Infinity's products. All they deal in are cutting accessories and for that reason they cannot afford to have sub par products. They ship out really fast also.

Walt Caza
12-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Good Day All,
I will chime in that I use the DW7670 with good results.
8inch, 24 teeth, -12 degree hook angle, nice kit box.

Features: http://www.dewalt.com/us/images/icons/icons_bullet.gifHeavy gauge, laser cut plates provide true, accurate cutshttp://www.dewalt.com/us/images/icons/icons_bullet.gifMicro-grain carbide teeth deliver clean cuts and reduce splinteringhttp://www.dewalt.com/us/images/icons/icons_bullet.gif4 tooth chippers give smooth, flat bottom cutshttp://www.dewalt.com/us/images/icons/icons_bullet.gifStainless steel shims allow for ultra-fine width adjustmentshttp://www.dewalt.com/us/images/icons/icons_bullet.gifHeavy duty storage case protects blades against chipped teeth and damage

I have been cutting dadoes (sp?) in plywood, which is slightly undersized,
within a few thousandths of an inch. Really getting good mileage out of
my digital caliper. The only hitch with making them so tight, is that
if and when the plywood thickness varies, you may have to coax them in
with a little sanding. (hammer fit is bad ... DAMHIKT)

No tearout on maple plywood or solid oak boxjoints, but in fairness
we would expect no less from fresh carbide.

A guy at the Orange Borg told me this set is disco'd, but it seems
you can get all-you-can-eat misinformation there, if you just shut your
filter off. This is completely unsubstantiated heresay,
not to mention... exactly how rumours get started!

Good luck with your tool shopping,
Walt
:)

Bob Johnson2
12-09-2006, 9:50 PM
The Infinity Dadonator has gotten rave reviews from several sources and also has a very competitive price (~$180). I'd like to hear some first-hand accounts though. The newer Dewalt can also be had for a nice price but I can't ever find feeback on it? Anyone using that?

The Forrest is just too much for me to justify.

JH

I've had the dadonator for about a year, it does cut a cleanly as they say. It leaves a nice edge on ply or hardwood, the bottoms are plenty flat although don't expect perfection. I own a very old 6" dado set (pre carbide) and an adjustable craftman, the new one runs circles around the old ones I have. Which may or may not mean anything. I do use a small shoulder plane and it only take 1 light pass to clean it up if the edge of the dado will show, my old blades took considerably more then that. That said I have a couple beefs about the set.
My original set was sent back to Infinity (at my expense) due to the chipper blades being rusted on the non performing surfaces. The 2nd set I got from them which is my current set, is a little better but still has the rust. They told me on the phone that it was due to the warehouse being in Florida where humidity is a problem. It's surface rust and in places that does not really matter, but it does tell one something about the QC on products they are sending out. The blades also fit pretty tightly on the arbor, which is good as there is no play, but it does make you work a bit when adjusting and removing them. My saw also being only a year old may have something to do with it too. The set comes with a plastic shim set which could use replacing as they get beat up pretty good if you use the set much. The set comes delivered in a cardboard box, they blades had pretty much chewed up the box in shipping, they are very sharp, and heavy, not a good match for cardboard.
If it wasn't for the surface rust, and the cheap box, the dadonator would get my nod for a great product for a good price. Instead I'd say I got a heavy duty, accurate, slightly rusted blade set for a good price, in a cheap box.
Infinity did offer to refund my $$$ for the money, I consider it getting my money's worth.

Allen Bookout
12-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Bob, Sorry to hear about the rust. I have not run into that problem with them. I live in Florida right on the water and my blades do not rust but I store them vertically. Sounds to me like that there is really excessirve mosisture wherever they are stored, enough so that the cardboard must have gotten damp. That should not happen. I have the Freud 608 with a Unisaw that is only about a year old and it is a bit of a small battle to get the blades on and off. I guess the tight fit contributes to the accuracy.

Charles McCracken
12-10-2006, 8:50 AM
Are they basically the same except for the Dial-a-width fearure? If I don't care about accuracy beyone 1/32" do I really need the Dial?

Gregg,

The cut quality of the SD608 and SD508 are virtually identical. The SD608 just eliminates the need to use shims.