PDA

View Full Version : DW 735 planer vs 15"'s

Gregg Feldstone
12-08-2006, 8:36 PM
I have been looking at buying the DeWalt Dw 735 13" Planer for two years and now the price is $100-$150 higher. At $550 it is getting close to the price of a cheaper brand (grizzly, woodtek) 15" floor standing model. I don't currently need a 15" planer but am wondering if it might make more sense to go for one because I might need it in the future. Any opinions on the quality of the lower priced 15"s vs the DW 735?

Tyler Howell
12-08-2006, 8:48 PM
I've had the 735 for 2 years and never needed anything bigger. That's not to say I never will. My sainted mother use to say "never buy the cheapest just because you can afford it".
Words to live bye:cool:

CPeter James
12-08-2006, 8:57 PM
I have a 15" Jet and had a Delta 12" before that. The bigger floor mounted machine is a giant step up and if you can possible afford it and have the space and do not need it to be portable, the way to go, IMHO.

If you do go the bigger one, there are a number of things to consider, one being the motor location. If the motor is on top as the Delta and new lower priced Jet, it makes changing the knives a pain. If the knives are easy to change, you can do if often before they get so dull that you can't force the boards through.

The Grizzly G0453 looks like a good deal and has gotten some good writeups in recent reviews.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0453

CPeter

Al Willits
12-08-2006, 9:10 PM
Back at $500, and considering adding the accesories, I ended up with the York 15" planer for not all that much more.
I also won a 735 so I can compare side by side, while the 735 gets great reviews for a bench top, it definetly doesn't compare to the 15" York is build and size...imho

Al

Jesse Thornton
12-08-2006, 9:27 PM
I have the DW735, and for the most part I've been pretty happy with it. It's a screamingly loud machine - ear protection is 'deaf'inately :p required. Also, blade life has been an issue. I was very dismayed at how quickly the quality of cuts diminished. I'm not sure if the latest crop has better blades, but I know other have had the same problem. I read a post here a while ago asserting that the blades dulling must be the fault of the operators, but I have seen firsthand that theory debunked. I watched the cuts go from glass smooth to having several (very small) ridges in the course of about 120 bf of extremely clear, clean, knot-free hard maple. In fact, I had already planed both sides right before flipping the blades (they're double sided as you probably know), so I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that there was no grit or dirt on the boards.
There are a few companies (like Infinity Tools) that make blades to fit the 735. Hopefully they are more durable - I'll be looking into that very soon.
When I finally move into a house that I'm not planning to just fix up and sell, I think I'll sell the Dewalt and go for a stationary 15" model.
Happy planing, whichever you go for!

Gregg Feldstone
12-08-2006, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is that the Yorkcraft YC 15p?
Wilke has it for $699. Is that where you got yours?
Any opinions on the quality and performance of the Yorkcraft vs the Grizzly G0453 for $775?

Bruce Gray
12-08-2006, 11:16 PM
There's a downside to the 15" planers. I have the Yorkcraft YC-15, and I'm happy with it. It's a good rugged machine, that handles heavy cuts quite well. There is an issue, though, which I believe is common with most of the larger planers. The drive rollers in the Yorkcraft are of serrated steel. If I am planing one of the softer hardwoods (ie. poplar), I find that the rollers dig into the wood somewhat. The damaged surface is then normally planed off, and I never see it. However, if I try to remove a very thin finishing layer (less than about .015"), the drive roller marks will not be removed, and show on the new surface. The lunchbox planers have rubber drive rollers, and do not have this problem. So this is justification for owning both types of planers.

Bruce Wrenn
12-08-2006, 11:35 PM
When it comes to planers, or tablesaws, most of us wish our second had been our first. This past year I upgraded from a Delta 12 (the original one) to a Delta 15". The 15 " (model 380 was bought from a friend) is a Mack truck and the Delta is a Volkswagon bug. I spent two hours surfacing some cypress on lunch box and only 15 minutes on the Delta a couple of weeks later for same amount of wood. If you look carefully at the 15" planers, you will see that the brands are more alike, than different. As for changing knives, I wouldn't let the motor being on top be a factor. You probably will change blades only once a year, so just remove motor and mounting bracket. Reinstall when finnished. Only adds ten minutes to an hour job. In the next ten years, this is 100 minutes, or less than two hours over ten years.

Al Willits
12-09-2006, 9:33 AM
If that was directed at me, yes, that's the one I have and I did get it though Wilke, they were very nice to deal with, wasn't overly impressed with part of their set up instructions, but that's probably just me.
I also have noted a bit of indentations when doing very thin cuts, but I went though the set up again and now I only get it if the cutter isn't taking any off, like when I'm working the cutter closer to begin planing and the wood is rough sawn.

All in all I'd get it again, I have the York 8" jointer also, and it seems to work very well too....least when I use it correctly...:)

Al

Thanks for the replies. Is that the Yorkcraft YC 15p?
Wilke has it for $699. Is that where you got yours?
Any opinions on the quality and performance of the Yorkcraft vs the Grizzly G0453 for $775?

James Biddle
12-09-2006, 11:09 AM
There's a downside to the 15" planers. I have the Yorkcraft YC-15, and I'm happy with it. It's a good rugged machine, that handles heavy cuts quite well. There is an issue, though, which I believe is common with most of the larger planers. The drive rollers in the Yorkcraft are of serrated steel. If I am planing one of the softer hardwoods (ie. poplar), I find that the rollers dig into the wood somewhat. The damaged surface is then normally planed off, and I never see it. However, if I try to remove a very thin finishing layer (less than about .015"), the drive roller marks will not be removed, and show on the new surface. The lunchbox planers have rubber drive rollers, and do not have this problem. So this is justification for owning both types of planers.
Yep, the two are definitely better at different tasks. I ended up with this. http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/planers1.JPG

scott spencer
12-09-2006, 12:49 PM
That's like comparing a contractor saw to a full cabinet saw. Completely different classes...favoring the 15". I don't view any portable planer as a lifetime tool, but I do the stationary planers with induction motors. Once you get anywhere near that price range, I think it's prudent to take the step up.

Gregg Feldstone
12-26-2006, 9:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advise. What do you guys think the best 15" er is for under $1000?

JayStPeter
12-26-2006, 9:29 PM
With the sale of a motorcycle pending, I was set to use the proceeds to buy the Yorkcraft with a byrd cutterhead. Even without the cutterhead, that would be my choice in a 15" planer. Grizzly's new 12" jointer/planer combo is giving me second thoughts though.

Jeff Heil
12-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I have the 735, I made the same debate when I replaced an older 733 DeWalt (the 2 knife taller style) I bought the 735 and would have went with a 15" floor unit in hindsight. The finish speed is slow and the disposable knives are disapointing. The built in blower is nicer and dust collection is very good. It is a good unit, but still portable. Factor in the cost of the in and outfeed tables to reduce snipe. They are a necessisity IMHO.

Jim Becker
12-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Yep, the two are definitely better at different tasks. I ended up with this.

Oh, my...that's a precious "couple"!! LOL! I can see it now. You leave the shop for a few days or weeks and when you come back there are a bunch of little hand planes running around... :eek: :D

(Seriously...good idea for those who can do this. You are correct that each does a few things better than the other)