PDA

View Full Version : Tips on lazing a guitar needed~!

Luke Phillips
12-08-2006, 7:40 PM
I have had a request to laze a photo image onto the front of an acoustic guitar. I used an old broken guitar to test settings but find the varnish difficult to etch through without bubbling. If anyone has had good experience doing a guitar, I would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks!

Shaddy Dedmore
12-09-2006, 3:00 AM
Maybe try multiple lower powered passes to keep the heat from building too much.

Not sure though. Let us know if you stumble on something.

Shaddy

Gary Gilbert
12-09-2006, 9:21 AM
This is of interest to me, too.

Note: Different guitars have diffrerent finishes. Also, the wood might be Spruce or Mahoganey.

Different folks use different finishes, such as Acrylic Urethane, Clear Coat (hard and protective - same as on cars, but affects sound adversley), or Nitro Cellulose - best for sound, but a bear over time as it cracks and is somewhat soft - and might be flamable!

Let us know how you do!

David Epperson
12-09-2006, 9:28 AM
or Nitro Cellulose - best for sound, but a bear over time as it cracks and is somewhat soft - and might be flamable!

Since the other name for a form of Nitro cellulose is "Gun cotton" and was used as a firearms propellent, I'd say it MIGHT indeed be just a bit flamable.

Joe Pelonio
12-09-2006, 10:50 AM
No experience on that but a few suggestions. I'd apply transfer tape, mist it with water and use lower power than you normally would the first pass. If needed run it a second/third time. You won't want to go very deep and affect the sound or the strength. The wet transfer tape will help keep it cooler to avoid any bubbling. if you don't know the customer you might have him sign a disclaimer ahead of time so you don't have to buy a new guitar.