PDA

View Full Version : Language problems

Alfred Clem
12-08-2006, 6:18 PM
I am sure everyone who contributes to this marvelous service wants to communicate his thoughts clearly with his or her fellow woodworkers. For one, I am most grateful to you. But I must confess I do not understand many of the terms and abbreviations used by many who post here.

Just as examples -- what is BLO? What is "borg"? Evidence of my ignorance and puzzlement could go on and on. Help!;)

Suggestion: when using an acronym -- initials or nickname -- spell it out completely the first time, and then use the acronym from then on. Otherwise, I suspect there are others who use this forum who are just as puzzled, misled, or in the dark as I am. Thank you!

Frank Snyder
12-08-2006, 6:32 PM
BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil. Borg is any big box store, be it Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc...

At least I think thats is what those two terms mean...

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 6:35 PM
Most of these terms have been explained any number of times. There are even a few threads in the OT forum within the last year with long lists of acronyms. Do an "advanced seach" on the term "acronym" in that forum.

BLO stands for "Boiled Linseed Oil"...which is not "boiled", but contains metalic dryers. It's generally used as one of the first steps in finishing certain species.

'Borg is a term that folks generally apply to refer to the "box stores" like Home Depot and Lowes. It was also the word used to name a civilization in the old Star Trek series where no one had independent thought from their society.

Dick Bringhurst
12-08-2006, 6:38 PM
You may want to download "Acronym Finder". It will have many of the acronyms you see here. However some here are spedific to woodworking. Dick B.

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2006, 6:39 PM
BLO - Boiled Linseed Oil
TO - Tung Oil
BS - Bandsaw
TS - Tablesaw
DP - Drillpress
SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed
LOML - Love Of My Life
LOYL - Love Of Your Life
BTW - By The Way
TTFN - Ta-Ta For Now
TIA - Thanks In Advance
DAMHIKT - Don't Ask Me How I Know This
and the list goes on from there. :)

Charlie Velasquez
12-08-2006, 6:40 PM
Check the Off topic forum..Bumped one of the threads of acronyms.

Allen Bookout
12-08-2006, 6:46 PM
Alfred,

I agree with you. This whole county has gone crazy with this sort of thing. And depending on what you are talking about the same group of letters can mean different things. Nationwide I think that it started out as a thing that made the people that were using the "shorthand" feel more important than they really were and it just kept on going. I have picked up most of them over time but there are still some that I do not know. I try never to use shortcuts out of respect for the reader. Good luck trying to get it changed because the floodgates are open now.

Larry James
12-08-2006, 6:47 PM
From List Of Acronyms - Updated 12/1/05 and posted by Joseph N. Myers.
Perhaps Joe would like to update it.;)

BLO - Boiled Linseed Oil

BORG - Buying ORGanization, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc
- "A group of different races on the Star Trek Next Generation series that ..." _____
- Big Old (Orange) Retail Giant

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27040&highlight=Acronyms

Larry

John Bailey
12-08-2006, 6:49 PM
There are even a few threads in the OT forum within the last year with long lists of acronyms.

"OT" - Off Topic. (gotcha!!):D

John

Robert E Lee
12-08-2006, 7:44 PM
"OT" - Off Topic. (gotcha!!):D

John

Good one John. LOL
Bob

Michael Fross
12-08-2006, 7:52 PM
BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant (home depot) in my book, but it could refer to any of the big home centers.

glenn bradley
12-08-2006, 8:15 PM
So far, I've learned:
BLO - boiled linseed oil
BORG - Big Orange Retail Giant, but not particularly Home Depot
DAMHIKT - don't ask me how I know this
IMHO - In my humble opinion
FWIR - from what I recall
IIRC - if I recall correctly
BTW - by the way

Oh yeah, Go Here:

Bill Grumbine
12-08-2006, 8:36 PM
I occasaionally have language problems in the shop, but usually when something comes flying off the lathe. :D ;)

Bill

Dave Lehnert
12-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I occasaionally have language problems in the shop, but usually when something comes flying off the lathe. :D ;)

Bill

And Thats no BS.

Oh forgot BS is for Bandsaw around here. LOL!!!

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 1:18 AM

Bill

ROFL!!!! Bill, Bill, Bill..........Been there, done that, broke several pieces that way. :o :rolleyes:

Bob Reeve
12-09-2006, 10:25 AM
How about LOL = Lots of Laughs

Rick de Roque
12-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Alfred,

I agree with you. This whole county has gone crazy with this sort of thing. And depending on what you are talking about the same group of letters can mean different things. Nationwide I think that it started out as a thing that made the people that were using the "shorthand" feel more important than they really were and it just kept on going. I have picked up most of them over time but there are still some that I do not know. I try never to use shortcuts out of respect for the reader. Good luck trying to get it changed because the floodgates are open now.

I think it started with email amd IM (instant messaging) because it takes less time to type and after awhile everyone understands. I don't think its about importance but about saving time. just my .02 (two cents worth);)

Rick

John Bush
12-09-2006, 10:57 AM
What does "bump" mean BTW?

Andy Hoyt
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
John - you bumped this thread (up to the top) by asking the question. And I'm bumping it by answering.

Doug Gilluley
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
LOL usually means Laughing Out Loud
On another forum I haunt we don't use LOML which is common among many forums. We use SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed);)

Doug

Joseph N. Myers
12-09-2006, 10:25 PM
From List Of Acronyms - Updated 12/1/05 and posted by Joseph N. Myers.
Perhaps Joe would like to update it.;)

BLO - Boiled Linseed Oil

BORG - Buying ORGanization, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc
- "A group of different races on the Star Trek Next Generation series that ..." _____
- Big Old (Orange) Retail Giant

Larry

Larry,

It has been a year since the last "acronym" update so maybe it time for another. So if anyone has anything they would like added/updated, now is the time to get it in. (And remenber the old TOS thing about language and the likes).

And as Larry noted, the link to "List Of Acronyms" can be found at: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...light=Acronyms

Regards, Joe

Dave Falkenstein
12-10-2006, 9:27 AM
Hi Al,

As an alternative try this site:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Both of the terms you mentioned are defined at the site, but the site is so thorough that there are other meanings for the same acronyms. You have to sort through until you see one that makes sense in the context used here.

jeremy levine
12-11-2006, 8:54 AM
What about HF NE . ?

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 9:00 AM
What about HF NE . ?

Hollow Form
Natural Edge

Both turning terms...

Chuck Wood
12-11-2006, 9:19 AM
How about LOL = Lots of Laughs

I thought that meant Laughing out loud ?

I think it is all CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) code talk ! We are being overtaken by WWA (Wood working aliens) :D LOL!