PDA

View Full Version : reconditioned PC tools

chris fox
12-08-2006, 6:14 PM
I am looking at saving some bucks on buying 2 1/4 HP PC router combo kit(893). Tool King and other online stores offer "reconditioned", anyone buy these reconditioned models that retain full warranty? Is it worth the savings or hit or miss?

I think of a good quality tool to last 20-30+ yrs if taken care of is this not possible in today's hand power tools? Other than Festool brand.

thanks for the input...
Chris

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 6:30 PM
IMHO, they are good deals. Warranty is new. Tools are often new...just open box returns which cannot be sold as "new" and get the reconditioned label.

Allen Bookout
12-08-2006, 6:57 PM
I have had great luck with buying reconditioned tools. Just make sure that they are listed a being reconditioned by the manufacturer. Toolking has a lot of reconditioned tools at times. I have purchased two nailers, one planner, and one router than were reconditioned from them and all but the router I could not tell from new. I could tell that the router had, in fact, belonged to someone because his initials were engraved with small letters on the housing but it is still going strong. I got the very last one that they had out of that batch and I think that is why. No complaints though.

A couple of times I just about bought reconditioned but found it new for the same price on an Amazon special.

Robert Mickley
12-08-2006, 7:00 PM
I've got a 690 that was recon. works like a new one

Joseph O'Leary
12-08-2006, 7:09 PM
I have one of PC's reconditioned ROS. No problems in 4 years of use.

Dave Sweeney
12-08-2006, 7:14 PM
I've purchased a reconditioned PC 333 ROS and a reconditioned PC DA250B 15ga angle finish nailer. Both arrived in like new conditioned and neither has given me a lick of trouble. I wouldn't hesitate to buy reconditioned PC tools in the future.

glenn bradley
12-08-2006, 8:18 PM
I have a 55 yr old TS, 35 year old jigsaw and drill, etc. I also have new but try to buy quality, maintain them and hope to pass them along to others eventually. Many folks here have had success with recon's. I'll let them speak to that ;-)

Paul Douglass
12-08-2006, 9:05 PM
Just purchased a reconditioned DeWalt DW788 scroll saw from Tool King, through E-Bay bid. Looks new. Was missing one screw needed to hold the table on. That cost me $.50. This is the third recon tool I have bought from Tool King. All have been like new and good service from Tool King.

chris fox
12-08-2006, 10:23 PM
thanks everyone for your input...

Chris

Eldon Berg
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I have several recon tools and find them well worth the price. My thought is that someone personally checked it out hand maybe had to make it work vs just going through a production line

Steve Clardy
12-09-2006, 7:11 PM
I've bought several recons. Very happy with them

John Bailey
12-09-2006, 7:40 PM
Not bought any PC, but I've got 3 Bosch recon's and love 'em.

John

George Leicht
12-09-2006, 7:52 PM
I'll put in my two cents on this one. At different times in the past, I worked in factory service centers for Chicago Pneumatic and Makita. In both of these companies, tools replaced under warranty came back to the service centers and were completely gone through. They often ran better than the "new" tools afterwards. I think most tool companies are the same. If given the option, I always buy reconditioned.
George

Allen Bookout
12-09-2006, 9:44 PM
Good information George.

Quanah Christ
12-09-2006, 10:07 PM
-Thanks george.