PDA

View Full Version : Adding inlay to a engraved turning.

Mike Jory
12-08-2006, 4:57 PM
I was hoping the title would grab someone's attention.:o
Here's the deal. I've had a few pens laser engraved with names and company logos. On some pens, depending on the woods, they're difficult to read. So I'd like to try filling the engraving with something such as a ground colored stone, such as turquoise, or maybe in some gold leaf.

Maybe then I'd have to add some sort of finish over the inlay, like lacquer? Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Is this possible after the pen is finished. Does someone have an idea how/where I could get started with this?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 4:59 PM
Is the laser engraving even deep enough to fill with something?

John Terefenko
12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Why not use some sort of marker like a sharpie then top coat it. Not sure if lacquer is the answer because it might run. I know a marker of this type was talked about here but it slips my mind.

Wes Bischel
12-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Mike,
You could try something like lacquer stiks which are used to color the markings on radio dials etc. They come in black, red, white, gold and a few more that are harder to find.
http://www.tubesandmore.com/ is one source.

Wes

Christopher Hunter
12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I work for a furniture company and I help on repairs ,,,
on that note- from time to time we run into small cracks that we use crayon -- yep, that's right, crayon...
anyways we will "fill" these cracks with the right colored crayon and then put the same kind of finish over the top of it ..
In your case use a marker or crayon to fill the areas and then put a rock hard finish on it... be careful not to get the finish on the rest of the pen, it may cause it to go to a higher sheen .. in that case cover the entire pen with that finish ---
I have used this many times and have had great success
--
have fun,
--Chris