PDA

View Full Version : grizzley G1073 bandsaw

George Morris
12-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Looking at a used G1073 bandsaw any comments on saw, asking price is $400 .Any comments welcome. George

glenn bradley
12-08-2006, 3:56 PM
Don't have one. The same saw has been made for well over a decade and Grizzly is just now moving them to their outlet store section online. They must have done something right to sell the same model that long. Compare specs to their newer saws and some competitors. If it hasn't been left behind feature-wise, the price seems OK. The one thing that would stall me is that there appears to be no quick tension release; something I will never do without on a BS again. But, that's just me.

Rich Bay
12-11-2006, 8:47 AM
I have had a 1073 for a couple of years. Generally I like the saw and - unless it had been abused - I would think the $400 is a good price.

The tension adjustment is not a quick release but it is easily accessible on top. The all cast iron construction is solid and maintenance on the saw is pretty easy.

I believe Grizzly still has roller guide block available for this saw and the Grizzly 113" blades do a pretty good job.

Jon Bonham
07-28-2010, 6:19 PM
Sorry to rehash a super old thread, but is this considered a decent saw? I have the opportunity to pick up one that is LIKE NEW for $250 locally. Thanks!

Harold Burrell
07-28-2010, 6:29 PM
Sorry to rehash a super old thread, but is this considered a decent saw? I have the opportunity to pick up one that is LIKE NEW for $250 locally. Thanks!

I am not familiar with that particular saw, but...

I would think that if it were worth $400 used in 2006, it would certainly be worth $250 "like new" today. Remember the bottomline...Does it cut wood well and does it meet your needs.

My take anyhow...

Harold Burrell
07-28-2010, 6:33 PM
You might find this helpful...

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Grizzly_G1073_16_Bandsaw

Jon Bonham
07-28-2010, 6:38 PM
Thanks. That was actually the first thing I looked at before I picked up the phone to call the guy. It looks pretty solid, like old school construction cast iron. 450+ lbs. I think I'm going to do it. Now I just have to figure out how to get it off the trailer when I get home. :D

Jon Bonham
07-28-2010, 8:28 PM
Well, I went and took a look at it. The guy barely used, said he bought it from a friend of his that sold him the saw, a drill press and some other tool. He didn't use it much, said he cut a little aluminum with it. It appeared to be in good shape, although I noticed a few problems. He had the throat plate removed and he had the blade riding on the outside of the support bearing instead of up against it. Of course, this made the blade operate outside it's intended line and it was riding on the guide block holder. It also needed tires. It was missing a few thumb screws here and there, probably from vibration. I saw one laying inside the lower pulley housing. But it sure ran smooth and true, even improperly setup. I plugged it in and turned it on and the blade had zero movement off track. I ended up offering him $220, which he accepted, so I'll be back to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Van Huskey
07-28-2010, 11:21 PM
When you get picks up I think a "you suck" will be in order. That is a great price on a solid saw, even if it needs a little TLC to be perfect. Good thing about it is parts are usually available.

Jon Bonham
07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
When you get picks up I think a "you suck" will be in order. That is a great price on a solid saw, even if it needs a little TLC to be perfect. Good thing about it is parts are usually available.

I'm picking it up tomorrow about 2. I didn't have time to go rent a trailer today, nor did I have anybody that could come help me move it on such short notice. So, I drove up and paid for it and told him I'd see him tomorrow. I'm super stoked. I picked up a bunch of 6/4 and 8/4 maple off the classifieds this weekend and I'm excited to get the saw set up and use it. I think next thing is a nice Kreg bandsaw fence.