PDA

View Full Version : Old Saw Help

John Bailey
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
OK Neanderthals, I need a little help with these saws. My dad passed away 3 yrs. ago. I got a call from my sister telling me she found some saws while going through some of my dad's stuff she had not gone through before. My dad was not a carpenter or woodworker, but he was a pack-rat. No telling how long these have been around. Although there's some rust, they look in pretty good shape and seem to cut nicely. Because they were my dad's, I'm not going to get rid of them, but, if they are any good, I'll clean them up and use them. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first picture is of all three of them.

the next picture is a closeup of the backsaw blade.

The next two are the two longer saws. They are both 26"s long. All the blades, including the backsaw, have "Superior Warranted" on the medalion. On one of the long saws I can make out the word "Cyclone" on the etching, and on the other saw I can make out the word "Atkin."

52077 52078

Along with any advice as to whether these may be good saws, or wall hangers, do you have any advice on cleaning them up.

Thanks,

John

David Stonner
12-08-2006, 4:25 PM
the saws look like decent users to me. i have a few "warranted superior" saws that look very similar to those. you could clean them up with a little WD40 and some #0000 steel wool, sharpen the teeth and put 'em to work. but enough about the saws...i wanna know about the boat in the background!

dave

John Bailey
12-08-2006, 6:59 PM
the saws look like decent users to me. i have a few "warranted superior" saws that look very similar to those. you could clean them up with a little WD40 and some #0000 steel wool, sharpen the teeth and put 'em to work. but enough about the saws...i wanna know about the boat in the background!

dave

Thanks Dave,

The boat's an Ian Oughtred designed Whilly Boat. Somewhere in the last week I started a post "Boatbuilding for Idiots" chronicling my progress.

About the saws, any idea what the "Atkins" or "Cyclone" etchings mean?

John

Mark Stutz
12-08-2006, 7:45 PM
John,
I suspect the Atkin s refers to The E. C. Atkins Saw Companyhttp://www.geocities.com/~mvr1/atkinssaws.html I have no idea what cyclone refers to.
You might be able to get rid of most of the surface rust with some MS and a razor blade, followed by 400 sandpaper on a block. Just be careful not to be too aggressive and remove the etch.
These look like they will clean up nicely.

Mark

Bill Houghton
12-09-2006, 6:44 PM
Atkins are very good saws - not as well known as Disston, but I believe just about as good. I know my little Atkins backsaw has a heavier back (steel, black-lacquered or otherwise toned black) than my comparably-sized Disston and Sons saw.

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 6:57 PM
Hi John,

The saw with the wheat cut handle appears to be a cross cut while the other appears to be a rip. Pretty standard configuration. One cross cut, one rip and one back saw with a cross cut set. Likely purchased all at once. This would have been a basic "set" of saws.

John Bailey
12-09-2006, 7:18 PM
Mark, Bill, Chris,

Thanks, it looks like I've got some users here. I'll started put 'em to wood and see how they do. They seem to be sharpe, at least they cut well, much quicker than I had expected.

John

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 7:49 PM
I would de-rust these using the orange oil solution (I think it's citric acid) and then a good rub down with some steel wool and some wax as a follow up. All I know about are "users" since all my tools are expected to earn their keep...

Tom Hamilton
12-09-2006, 8:51 PM
John, you might post on the Old Tools List to get an idea about restoration without damaging the etching and about the markings. Also a professional sharpening will surely help bring them to user status.

I've got a couple of my Dad's saws and use them regularly.

Enjoy, Tom