PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Friday December 8th, 2006

16 Days until Christmas

Howdy all. It's been really cold up this way. Haven't seen much above the mid 20's in over a week. No snow though, so the frost level is gonna be deep this year I suspect. We are supposed to have a warm up over the weekend though. Supposed to get into the 40's. Gonna have to break out my shorts. :D

Not much going on here this weekend. Might try to get some more outside lights up if, indeed, the weather permits.

How's everyone doing with their Christmas presents? I go crazy every year cause LOML B-day is the 23rd, so I have to shop for two different things.

What's up with you for the weekend? Let us know.

Have a good weekend and more importantly a Safe Weekend.

Karl

Don Bullock
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, here it's been in the '70s all week. I've been able to get out in my "shop" (garage) several afternoons to get it ready for some upcoming projects. I'm still in the process of setting everything up. Today I pick up my new MS at the Post Office (the package was too heavy for them to deliver according to the note I got).

This weekend we may have some lower temperatures, somewhere in the 60s maybe, and perhaps some rain (one never knows in Southern california if it will actually rain). I won't be doing any woodworking, but I am showing two of my dogs at a dog show. it will be the first show for one of our puppies. I'm looking forward to it.

Laurie Brown
12-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm STILL trying to get those raised panel doors finished for my cabinet. I did get them shellaced and the first coat of poly put on before the te temp took a dip, but it's too cold to work in the unheated shop now. Considering buying a couple of small heaters so I can work out there. Seems a shame not to be able to work in the shop when it's so nice and sunny, even if it is only 20 degrees out. ;)

Hopefully when it warms back up into the 40's on Sunday I can get another coat of poly on the doors. As soon as I get them finished, all that's left is to assemble all the parts and the cabinet is done!

Don Dean
12-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Staying warm! Then I am going to try and finish a dado jig that I am building as the 23/32" router bit for 3/4" dado may or may not work for so called 3/4" plywood.

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 11:28 AM
More of the same...the usual Saturday rat-race and hopefully time working on the cherry vanity project.

David Duke
12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Gonna work 1/2 the day at the "real" job then when I get home we what the boss needs done. Hopefully be able to get some shop time in Sunday.

Chuck Wood
12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm trying to finish putting up OSB in the shop bathroom, but like Laurie my shop isn't heated (yet) and it is to cold to play in the shop. It's suppose to warm up next week. (I hope) :rolleyes:
Getting things together to go on a cruise first week in Jan. :D

By the way my birthday is the day after Christmas, so if anyone would like to get me a gift, I always have a list of tools I would like. Let me know and I will be happy to send you a copy!:D

Tyler Howell
12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey Karl,
Staying in town this weekend.

packing
shopping
installing
satellite TV
dismantling extra toyls for trip north.
2 Xmas parties.Play safe

David Wilson
12-08-2006, 3:36 PM
Hello Karl
Put up some more christmas lights and hopelully finish a present for LOML.

Earl Reid
12-08-2006, 3:40 PM
I,m hoping to finish a oak trunk for my Grandson today.
Earl

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2006, 3:40 PM
Hey Karl,
Staying in town this weekend.

packing
shopping
installing
satellite TV
dismantling extra toyls for trip north.
2 Xmas parties.Play safe

And you expect us to believe that you're going to get the rest of that stuff done. :confused: :D

Karl

Chip Olson
12-08-2006, 3:51 PM
Hoping to get these cabinet doors and drawers all sanded and ready for finish. Remind me that I really need to be wearing a dust mask for this work.

Cody Colston
12-08-2006, 3:54 PM
I got home for 14 days off Wednesday. Bad news is that I go back to work for 14 days on Dec. 20th. I also worked Thanksgiving. Oh well. :(

Saturday I plan on cutting bowl blanks out of some logs that are lying behind the shop; Elm, Persimmon, Willow, Oak, Cedar, Walnut, etc.

Sunday morning will be worship service followed by dinner out (that's the midday meal around here) and probably a nap. Around 7:00 p.m. I hope to watch the Cowboys put a whupping on the Aints. ;)

Jim O'Dell
12-08-2006, 7:37 PM
Saturday, I need to put up the insulation in the finishing room walls, then decide if I'm going to put up plastic as a moisture barrier, or buy a few rolls of tape to seal off the cuts I've made in the craft paper backing. :o Also Sat. we have 2 or 3 families coming to visit the rescue dogs. That will take some of my time, unless some of the other foster families from Dallas come over with the other dogs, then I'll stay out in the shop and hide, I mean work.
Have a garage door to rebuild at a friends house. Rebuild is not the word, add on to to stabilize and hopefully make usuable is more like what will happen. That's for Sunday afternoon. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Jim.

Fred Voorhees
12-08-2006, 8:15 PM
Well, had plans to cut up some firewood, but the darned chainsaw is on the fritz. Really, it just needs a basic going over and it's in the shop. Went to fire it up yesterday after work and it won't stay running. That knocked out the firewood detail for this weekend.

Have some 4X4 oak, hickory and poplar lumber from work that I want to resaw this weekend for some future projects. Need to finish up some Christmas shopping for the "little lady" and try to move along with some small Christmas gifts that I have been making from some random scraps in the shop. Will be helping the LOML around the house with Christmas related duties since her back has been giving her trouble now for almost a year. Clean up the garage, put a new latch on the firewood door in the house, possibly clean and mop the bar room floor and a few other small details makes it seem as though the weekend will make me want to get back to work!:mad:

Steve Clardy
12-09-2006, 7:15 PM
I'm working ON the shop instead of in it this weekend.;)

Kristian Wild
12-09-2006, 7:38 PM
Just about finished up a coffee table for my folks made from a 32 x 50 x 4" slab of pine that used to be a table in a local restaurant back in the 1980's and 90's. It originally had a welded metal base and a quarter inch of that clear epoxy finish that they put on bar tops.

Well now it looks like some sort of bizarre fusion between windsor chair seat and 1970's turned oak-leg furniture. I haven't yet decided if I actually like it... It's rare that I get a chance to simply take an idea and run with it with no repercussions. The materials were free, my folks will say they love anything I make for them, and it only set me back the cost of the enormous auger bit that I had to buy to drill clear through the top.

Amusing pictures will follow soon!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Kris

Jack Dickey
12-09-2006, 9:45 PM
Been trying to finish up the cupboard , pix in the LOML's lateste commission thread ..
Who'da thunk 90 degree angles and such cud be so aggarvatin' ..
Good therapy tho' ..

Al Willits
12-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Got to spend time in the garage sat, and got all but the waxing done on the second attempt to make a smaller TS sled, this ones gonna be a keeper, not perfect, but not to bad either.
Also made 3 of the 4 clamp racks I need, and found about 20 CD's I didn't know I had, so had a great day listening to music and making sawdust.

Sunday is making the one last rack and starting on the sideboard project, this will be my first serious project and am a bit nervous about it, also excited..:D

Al

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Howdy Karl,

Still working on that computer desk. Fortunately I'm in the desktop finishing part of the project and as soon as that's done, it will be FINISHED!!!!! :D

Sunday is playing bass at church for the Christmas program and time with the family.

Besides trying to figure out how to best lay down a nice black lacquer finish on this desktop.....well, let's just say that that's about ALL I've been doing for several days now. :o

Best of weekends to you and everyone.