PDA

View Full Version : "Scraps"

Dan Drager
12-08-2006, 12:47 AM
I am one of those guys who can never throw anything out. No Matter how small or oddly shaped the cut off is, I think "I can use that for (insert never to happen future project here)". My collection is growing as I write this.

So I am asking 2 things.

1. Anyone have some small projects other than cutting boards to use some of this scrap on? I have enough cutting boards to be Christmas gifts for decades.

2. Who has a clever way of keeping these small peices organized? I have scraps from about 8 different species that range from 3" x 4" x 3/4" to 3" x 3" x 3'.

Thanks for the help

glenn bradley
12-08-2006, 12:56 AM
I built a half a dozen stackable bins out of . . . scrap. These 12" x 20" x 9" open top bins hold my small scrap by catagory; composite, softwoods, ply and good stuff. I put a couple skids on the bottom of each one that keep them aligned when they are stacked. I kept them small so it's not a big job to lift three of them off the top to get to bin number four.

Don Stanley
12-08-2006, 2:30 AM
You're certainly not the only one to save all those scraps! I find it hard to toss out hardwood scraps that can be used for small projects. All I see is $$.$$ per Board/Foot! Just having a project to work on is important to me! Here's a link to some of my small fun stuff; made from scraps for the most part.

http://members.ai5.net/~kc7cn@ai5.net/main/funstuff/

-Don

Bill Kay
12-08-2006, 8:13 AM
Hi Dan,

I use scrap wood for most of the projects i come up with. The amount, size and type of wood dictates the direction I go. Small toys, tops and models are excellent uses. Here are links photos.

The large prop is about 4 feet in diameter and was done for the local aviation museum. The engine is about 2 feet in diameter and made use of a ton of small scraps. The whirligig was a fun project to design and build. All used small pieces of wood found in the trash.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50261&d=1163771750
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47994&d=1160054740
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27636&d=1134748215

Regards,

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 8:35 AM
There are many smaller projects that can be fun...boxes, clocks, desk accessories, small turnings, etc. After some point in time, however, one needs to set a "minimum size" standard for what is kept and what is put in the burn bin. (There may be different parameters for exotics in that respect due to cost)

Larry Fox
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Another option is to hook up with someone who does small turnings (like pens etc) and arrange for them to get your good scraps that you think you might use but know you never will. I have a guy in CA that I hooked up with here in the creek who takes them. Anything nice in the 6" - 11" range goes in his pile, everything else goes in the burn bin. His pile gets big enough for a USPS flat rate shipping box and out it goes and he returns me actual shipping when he gets around to it. Works out really nicely - he gets essentially free wood and I get the satisfaction of knowing that good quality hardwoods are not wasted in my fireplace.

Ted Shrader
12-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Dan -

I don't keep ones as small as yours, unless they are of some exotic wood. The domestics need to be 12" to make it to the scrap bin.

Alternates uses - Since you have enough cutting boards, how about housing those knives? I made the "mother" of all knife blocks during a recent scrap bin clean out. Holds 23 knives - and it is almost full.

Regards,
Ted

John Headley
12-08-2006, 10:23 AM
One project I'm currently working on using only scraps are small clipboards. They are made to fit a half size piece of paper (9 x 6) I just rip my scraps into random width strips, arrange them how I like, and glue them into boards. Run them through the planer until they are 1/2" thick and install the small clipboard hardware with a couple of screws. The hardware cost less than $2 each. They make good small gifts for people to use around the house. You can also use your larger scraps to make full size clipboards.

Roger Wilson
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
-Bookmarks (6" x 1" x 1/20" thick, shellac or varnish finish),
-spatulas, spoons,
-tongs for taking bread out of toaster (2 sides 3/32", 2 inch back with sides glued to back. Round inner end of back before gluing on sides, other end after glue up. Finish with mineral oil),
-coasters with cork center
-letter opener
-small letter box
-wood blocks for kids
-small figure/animal carvings
-use scraps for inlays into other projects
-intarsia
-marquetry

Lee Schierer
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
You can make sets of blocks for kids out of those scraps. http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/blocks.jpg

Kids love blocks. If you don't have some of your own or grandkids, find a local church or day care, I bet they would love to have a set or two of blocks.

Dan Drager
12-08-2006, 9:20 PM
Hi Dan,

I use scrap wood for most of the projects i come up with. The amount, size and type of wood dictates the direction I go. Small toys, tops and models are excellent uses. Here are links photos.

The large prop is about 4 feet in diameter and was done for the local aviation museum. The engine is about 2 feet in diameter and made use of a ton of small scraps. The whirligig was a fun project to design and build. All used small pieces of wood found in the trash.

Regards,

Really impressive work Bill, Thanks for sharing the pics.

Jerry Olexa
12-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Clocks...Simply order the "innards" mail order or net and build a small mantel clock around. Quick and uses up those scraps. Make nice gift too,,

John Buzzurro
12-09-2006, 9:03 AM
I second the clock idea. Here's a real quickie project idea:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejbuzzurr/pics/clocks.jpg

Dan Drager
12-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Clocks for everyone I know for Christmas! Thanks.

Philip Duffy
12-11-2006, 5:04 AM
Dan, Why not donate a bunch of these small pieces to The Freedom Pen effort so popular with many folks. It would be a way of contributing to the troops overseas and the pens that are shipped would be put to good use. See the Sawmill Creek.org home page. Phil

Gary Herrmann
12-11-2006, 8:29 AM
Dan, if you don't turn now, you might in the future. I keep scraps down to 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" for pens and I just got a lathe this year - so I have plenty of pen stock.

Phil also had a good idea about the Freedom Pen project (which I need to contribute to myself come to think of it).