PDA

View Full Version : Silver Poplar NE Bowl

Jim Ketron
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
This is the piece of Silver Poplar that Dennis Peacock gave me. Thanks Dennis;)
It had some major ring shake as it was drying the gaps was quite wide in some spots (1/4") and almost went around the bowl. I let it set for at least 5 months or longer drying, and believe it or not the gaps closed up to about (1/8") so I filled them with coffee grounds and CA, it finished of quite nice for the shape it was in. It has some awesome colors and some curl aslo, finish is watco and gel poly.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/SPNE2sm.jpg

Ed Scolforo
12-08-2006, 6:17 AM
SWEEET, Jim! I like the contrasting colors. Good work.

Keith Burns
12-08-2006, 8:06 AM
I really like this one Jim, the colors are great as well as the form.:) :)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-08-2006, 8:23 AM
Great job as usual Jim. This does look like it has some neat coloring. Thanks for sharing.:)

Ron Sardo
12-08-2006, 8:51 AM
Real Sweat!

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2006, 8:54 AM
That look great Jim! Love the colors in it.

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2006, 9:20 AM
The color in that piece is outstanding Jim. Great form and finish on it. Very pretty.

Now.....Heeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!!!!! I want my wood back!! :p :p :D
(jest kiddin)

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2006, 9:30 AM
Once again you have an outstanding piece of work! I never thought of filling ring shake with anything in order to save the bowl. I have a small pile of bowls with checks and ring shake problems that I set aside until I gained more experience in the hopes that I could save them. Will have to go through that collection again and see if I can salvage something.

Again - great work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Jim that is beautiful. The wood just talks to you. Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Well done Jim! AS ALWAYS!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Once again you have an outstanding piece of work! I never thought of filling ring shake with anything in order to save the bowl. I have a small pile of bowls with checks and ring shake problems that I set aside until I gained more experience in the hopes that I could save them. Will have to go through that collection again and see if I can salvage something.

Again - great work!

Steve........I have limited experience turning NEs but the 2nd I attempted was from a pretty little piece of peach sent to me by a Creeker Raymond Overman.......it developed wind shake/ring shake really badly. I mixed epoxy with coffee grounds and filled the gap. A day later I finished it. Probably turned out to be my best so far. My MIL was visiting at the time. She snagged it and it resides in Illinois now!

Jim Ketron
12-08-2006, 7:08 PM
Thanks Men!
here is a poor shot of the inside where you can see all the shake this one had. most of it is to the right side, and you can see 3 layers of it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/SPNE3sm.jpg

Tom Sherman
12-08-2006, 7:36 PM
Jim looks like that one could have been a cheek squeezer. But you were up to the task for sure.

Travis Stinson
12-08-2006, 7:40 PM
That's a beauty Jim! Love the colors. :cool:

Jonathon Spafford
12-09-2006, 2:47 AM
That is one awesome piece of wood... I love the color and and the contrasts and the natural edge (oh and the turning is nice too) :D Actually you did a beautiful job and did the wood justice!!! Good work!

John Hart
12-09-2006, 6:42 AM
Now.....Heeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!!!!! I want my wood back!!

I think Dennis wants his wood back Jim. Now, you've had it long enough...it's his turn.:)

Dazzling piece Jim!!! I don't see no ringshake. Congratulations on its survival.

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 6:54 AM
Great job, congrats on keeping the bark:D Nice finish, and I love the clour contrast:)

Joash

Pat Doble
12-09-2006, 8:07 PM
Great job with a piece of wood that some of us either wouldn't tackle or would have given up on. It turned out to be a beautiful piece with the NE and all of the color.

Mark Cothren
12-09-2006, 8:57 PM
Never dreamed there was that kind of color/action in that wood when we cut the tree... This is not the easiest wood to work with, but you sure made it look fantastic!

Mark Pruitt
12-09-2006, 9:08 PM
Very interesting colors in that wood. Nice work Jim!