PDA

View Full Version : Tonights hollow form

Sparky Paessler
12-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I turned this hollow form tonight for a friend to give to his sister for Christmas. Ambrosia maple with a little curl and some spalting up near the rim. I just have a coat of oil on it now still need to put some finish and buff it.

Mark Cothren
12-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Lookin' good, Sparky!

Jim Ketron
12-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Beautiful Piece Sparky!
Glad to see you back at it:D
We are going to have to do some turning sometime soon;)

Travis Stinson
12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Beautiful form Sparky! It's always a pleasure to see your work. Good to see you around. :cool:

Joash Boyton
12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Very nice present, can we have some dimensions?

Joash:)

Ron Sardo
12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Real Nice!

Sparky Paessler
12-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks Guy's. I'm glad to be turning again. It is very relaxing and I surely need that about now. I hope to join the Musterd club soon!

Josh

Its down in the shop and I didn't measure it but my best guess would be that it is about 11" across and 5 to 6" tall.

Oh I also finally got my bowl steady welded up. Here are some pictures of it in action.

Mark Cothren
12-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I hope to join the Musterd club soon!

Come on with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Sparky good to see ya back. That is a mighty fine looking HF. Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Beautiful hollow form! It's going to make one fabulous gift!

Your bowl steady is interesting. I've never seen one in person or talked with any one who uses one - so, does it really make that much of a difference?

Andy Hoyt
12-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Well there ya go. Good one Sparky. I like it lots.

Glad to see your smiling face again.

Ed Scolforo
12-08-2006, 6:12 AM
Sparky, you have a beauty there, great wood and form. Someone's gonna be very happy!

Keith Burns
12-08-2006, 8:08 AM
Great HF Sparky. Great form and finish. I like the rim treatment as well:) :)

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2006, 8:26 AM
Beautiful hollow form! It's going to make one fabulous gift!

Your bowl steady is interesting. I've never seen one in person or talked with any one who uses one - so, does it really make that much of a difference?

Steve

I haven't used it yet so I don't really know how well it works. I made it to use on tall vessels that need support out near the end while you are hollowing. My design is a little different than some of the ones that Jim and Travis and others have made because my lathe only swings 12" and I wanted to be able to use it on forms that were near that size. I also use a laser guided hollowing rig so I wanted the top front area clear for the arm that the laser is mounted on to move thru. This design also gets the front wheel centered where the hollowing rig is cutting giving it good support at that area. If I had a 20" lathe like theirs I would have gone with the standard octagon since I could afford to give a few inches in turn capacity. Funny thing is I may very well get a 20" powermatic in the next few weeks and sell my current lathe so I may never get to use it but I had it already cut out and wanted to practice my welding.:D

Frank Kobilsek
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Sparky
With the stock of big blanks you have in the background of that picture I suspect you could have both the Jet and a new Powermatic running pretty steady. Welcome back, relax, life is good.

Frank

Ted Calver
12-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Sparky,
Excellent HF--I hope you take a pic to share after it's polished....and super job on the bowl steady. It looks well made and you were very creative on the design side. Well done!!

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 2:35 PM
Very "sparky", Sparky! Nice!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2006, 3:39 PM
Well done Sparky! Please post a photo after it's finished! Nice to see you turning and posting again!

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2006, 3:51 PM
Looks great as usual Sparky!!! Very nice piece.

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2006, 5:49 PM
Thanks for the nice remarks everyone! It is a colorful piece of wood. I will post pictures of the finished piece. I still have several blanks from that tree. I have also gotten some walnut and have roughed out several bowl from it. Very nice to turn green. Will see how it turns when they dry. I'm going to try to turn a tall form this weekend and use the steady rest. Enjoy your weeend!:D