PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Stand Skirt

Thomas Canfield
12-07-2006, 9:37 PM
A floor drill press is great for the extra quill travel and depth of throat, but the full height is seldom used. The instructions that come with the floor drills say to either bolt to the floor or add a larger base for stability. I went a step further and made a "skirt" that canb be removed fairly easy, and the top just lifts off to provide some additonal height before the skirt needs to be removed. The space inside the skirt is used for storage and the sides allow hanging different tools and accessories. Storage for Forstner bits and router bits based on the design in Wood magazine are on one side. The weight also helps give the drill press additonal stability even more that the larger base. Material was from computer desk found on the street with a little additional scrap.

Joe Trotter
12-07-2006, 9:55 PM
That's a great idea! I have a large drill press and it does waste space below it. I thought I would need the ability to drop the table lower. I have used the drill press allot but never lowered the table much.

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 9:56 PM
That's a really nice setup, Thomas! One of the better ones of this ilk I've seen. Hmmm...'just might have to do something like that!

Mike Armstrong
12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the photos! I've built a number of base cabinets for the shop and this is one I've been thinking about doing next. There is a lot of wasted space there that's prefect for all those small drill/router bits, etc. You've got a great design there.

Mike

jonathan snyder
12-09-2006, 1:17 AM
Tom,

Nice job. I have been thinking about something similar. I might put some drawers in and perhaps some casters. Thanks for the pics.

Jonathan

J D Thomas
12-09-2006, 9:44 AM
Great idea Thomas. It also looks like you have the table from Woodpeckers. I have the same one. How do you like yours?

Thomas Canfield
12-10-2006, 8:13 AM
J. D.,

The table is a Woodpecker and about 10 years old. It started out on a 12" benchtop drillpress and was oversize, but not fits the 16" much bette. A table for the drill press should be the first thind]g added because of the many helpful uses. I do not have any extensions added, but have rigged up some additional supports/fences for longer work when making repetitive drill patterns or need additonal support. I still have to work on the incra adjustment part of the fence, but use it some. It is a good investment, and well thought out.

I made a table to add to the 12" benchtop press when I gave it to my son but it did not have the track on the fence. He will have to add that (or else I will have to make him a new fence later).

Peter Stahl
12-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Thomas, Neat idea. There are so many talented & creative people here on SMC, well worth the price of admission.

Allen Bookout
12-10-2006, 10:37 AM
OK Thomas, I can only stay quite for so long. If you will notice mine, in addition to bit holders (small cardboard boxes on base), has a broom storage rack, glue and ruler holder plus space for other often used tools. Nice try though.

Walt Caza
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks Allen,
I am using your drill press storage solution with great success.
Have you considered marketing it? If so, I will owe you...
My only concern is twisting an ankle while trying to drill!
Thanks for a helpful pic,
Walt

ps mine is too shameful to photograph
:)

jonathan snyder
12-11-2006, 1:59 AM
Allan,

You get an A in the humor department, But Thomas has you beat, as far as organization goes!

Thanks for the laugh
Jonathan

Robert Mahon
12-11-2006, 6:55 AM
A terrrific idea and great pics.
I'm downsizing my shop against the day we move and I have to share the garage with a car. I have 2 drill presses; a 10" benchtop on a cabinet I scrounged from the neighbor doing a kitchen makeover and a JET 20" floor model I got free when I closed down 1 of my factories.
The footprint of the 10" press/cabinet unit is almost as big as that for the 20" model.
If I use your idea and make the skirt big enough, I can place the small unit back-to-back with the larger on a wide mobile base. Resulting size will be about 22" wide by 55" deep, which, when stored sideways, will fit nicely against the shop wall when not in use.

Thank you for sparking a good concept.

Chuck Wood
12-11-2006, 8:33 AM
Thomas,

Very nice idea... I like it! I get so many ideas from Creekers pic's it hard to remember them all! I love it when someone shows a pic of there shop and or tools. I'm always looking in the back ground to see what idea I can steal.
How do you like your Delta drill press? I'm looking at the 17-950L !
Thanks again!:)

Thomas Canfield
12-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Chuck,

I think mine is the 17-965 model and I have enjoyed it. The spindle lock was different from the previous benchtop 12" Delta anf floor model Shopmaster Delta and also the depth stop. Changing the speeds on the 16 speed unit does require more belt swapping than I care for, and therefore do not change speeds as often as I should. The longer spindle travel is great to allow drilling with differnt size bits without requiring raising and lowering the table for bit lenght too often. The drill also does not have a light, but a modification to use a magnetic light is in progress and should address that problem. The switch also appears to be a heavier duty switch than on the previous units, but that may be because of the 3/4 HP motor. I did have to replace the switch on the shopmaster unit - of course it happen when the drill was really needed. I have not seen the 17-950L except in a catalog, but it looks like it has some added features and table improvements. I try to not change my table but use some other means (shims, etc.) to drill at angles. Lasers may be helpful also, but I don't know any better at this time. A laser on my miter saw has been helpful, but I don't use it for accurate cuts. Try to get your hands and eyes on both units and make a good comparision for what you require. There does no appear to be a lot of $$ difference, and the drill press is a major piece in the workshop and there for a long time. New is not always the improvement expected.

Robert Mahon
12-12-2006, 6:03 AM
Good morning all,

It may be my ignorance or incomplete understanding of how this site works, but I have a question.

There are so many wonderful ideas and exhibitions of Craftsmanship here and it would be great if there was specific a place to show them.

Am I missing something?
If so, please point me in the right direstion.
If not, can a category be created just for that purpose?

Robert Mahon
12-12-2006, 6:11 AM
I'd suggest you look at the Wixey Digital Angle Gage. It really works well and I use it quite often on my TS, Jointer, CMS and Drill Press.
On the Drill Press, use the Quill as the Zero reference and set the table at the angle needed.
Changing angles is a snap.
At $40.00, it is perhaps 1 of the most useful tools I've got.

Dick Bringhurst
12-12-2006, 6:27 AM
Thomas - I'll join the rest in saying that is a great idea. I'll start on mine today. Dick B.