PDA

View Full Version : Wood finish, production tips for big order?

Linda Forte
12-07-2006, 8:34 PM
We may have gotten an order for 650 6" x 6" calendar trivets.

Yipes. Any tips on how to efficiently process this big of an order would be appreciated.

I'd really like to know the thoughts of Sawmill Creek's seasoned woodworkers about the best finishes to put on pre-lasered wood plaques. We usually use spray on Deft, but don't seem to get the nice, thick finish that the store bought stuff has. Maybe it is just a matter of putting on a bunch more coats?

Would make for a sore trigger finger for this job,though.

Thanks a bunch,
Linda

Mike Null
12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Linda:

You may want to take this question to the finishing forum.

As for me, if I had a spray booth I would use lacquer and I think two coats would do nicely. It's good for production as it dries very fast. There is a water based lacquer which doesn't have all the odor of the nitrocellulose lacquers.

Jim A. Walters
12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
For an efficient process, I would design a rack to consistently locate the trivets. If they are not close to the same size each, you shouldn't line them up in the laser and make a large print of 6 pieces. If they are 1/16" off, the error would multiply across the table to have a possible 3/16" offset of the graphic on the outside tile. I have attached a file that is close to the rack I would use. (I have a 25x18 table. I could possible do 8 or 12 each load depending on the graphic placement)

Joe Pelonio
12-08-2006, 9:28 AM
While it's more expensive I'd suggest using Chromatic Waterborne Clear made by One Shot. It's a user friendly formula that gives a good smooth level deep finish. Then I'd invest in a spray gun, even a $40 touch-up gun to apply it and borow or rent a small compressor if you don't have one.
Line them all up on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and spray as many as will fit
at once. It dries pretty quickly.

Dennis Shenk
12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Linda,

I'm also in Lancaster and I have a custom kitchen shop.

If you are in a time crunch I could spray your pieces.
Send me a PM or give me a call, I'm in your white pages.

Dennis Shenk

Linda Forte
12-11-2006, 9:56 PM
I am still waiting on the decision of the client. He has previously printed calendars on tile, so this would be a significant step up for him.

Jim, I never thought of a rack - I can definitely see it would eliminate the guessing game of lining the pieces up.

Great idea. Thanks!

Linda Forte
12-11-2006, 9:59 PM
I am going to do a test run on template and finish--trying out the One Shot product. Any suggestions on where to purchase it, Joe? Online?

Joe Pelonio
12-12-2006, 8:23 AM
I buy it locally at Northwest Sign Supply 1-800-654-0194 but it's no doubt available online at sign supplies and perhaps art supplies. The clear gloss has this on label: Chromatic G4331010 Gloss Clear WDTI-COTE
Code 3M 805287 NL. On the front of the can it's called Waterborne Primer.
It's actually made as a primer, Tie Coat, and Top coat all in one. We use it also to apply to vinyl beofre airbrushing, then over the airbrushed paint.