PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Blades

Julie Wright
11-07-2003, 7:33 AM
I have been using my table saw for a couple of years now, changing blades, dado, cross cut etc... The other night I cut some 3/4" maple in to 4 pieces when I laid them next to each other, it looked like a little mouse have chewed on them. (Kinda like zig zag bits missing)

What happened? I have never notice this before. I dont see any teeth/carbide tips missing. I laid the blade on a flat surface and it is flat.
Any Ideas? :confused:

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-07-2003, 7:45 AM
Julie, were these Cross Cuts or Rip Cuts in the Maple? It sounds as if your blade is not square to the Fence and/or Miter Gauge. If your blade is not running parallel to your Miter Gauge/Fence you will get some chipping/tearout, especially on harder woods such as Maple. It could also be the blade, but I would check the Table Saw and make sure you have it tuned good. Just a thought for ya. ;)

John Miliunas
11-07-2003, 7:49 AM
Julie, my first inclination is a dull blade. Second thought is, feeding stock in too quickly. Oh, and then what Kevin said....

Couple questions, while I'm at it: What flavor saw and tooth count are you using? Were these rips or crosscuts? Do you use a zero clearance insert? :cool:

Julie Wright
11-07-2003, 10:44 AM
It was rip cuts, 60 TPI
maybe its dull or needs cleaning.
thanks

John Miliunas
11-07-2003, 10:53 AM
It was rip cuts, 60 TPI
maybe its dull or needs cleaning.
thanks

Either, cleaning and/or sharpening may help. IMHO (and I'm no expert), 60 TPI is a bit much for ripping. If that's all you have, then I would seriously consider making (or buying) a zero-clearance insert for the table. It's also safer if you end up doing any narrow rips. Good luck and hope you can determine the cause and find a resolution. :cool:

Dave Avery
11-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Julie,

You definitely need a ripping or combination blade for ripping hardwoods. A 60T might be OK for crosscuts in hardwoods, but not for ripping. I use a 40T Forrest Woodworker II for most cuts, a 30T Leitz ripping blade for serious ripping in > 4/4 hardwoods. The WWII is expensive, but the Leitz can be had for $40-50 @ carbide.com. Dave.