PDA

View Full Version : Air fliter test from Wood magazine?

Charles McKinley
12-07-2006, 6:14 PM
Hi All,

Can you tell me the top 3 filters from their test. If they left someone out you think is worthlooking at please mention them. I'm heating with wood and want something to help keep the dust down and help move the air around.

Thanks,

Tom Andersen
12-09-2006, 6:15 PM
I don't know of an article in Wood Magazine (which is hard to get here in Scandinavia). I am heating our house with a wood stove and it does give some burned dust in the air and makes it hot under the cealing, so I have been speculating whether one could make a small ventilation duct with a fan that takes the air from above, filters it for allergenes, and expells it near the floor. Is this what the article is about? Any more info?

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 6:52 PM
The JDS system came out on top but, what they found was that most units set to their high setting mostly blew the dust around and that's why the JDS took top honors. Any of them do well but, use their lowest settings.

Charles McKinley
12-09-2006, 7:15 PM
Thank you Chris. Did they rate them on noise by chance? If so who was quietest

Hi Tom, I think making your own would be the way to go after reading Chris's reply. I was thinking about buying one because it is already all togeather and hoped that they filtered better.

Jeremy Gibson
12-09-2006, 7:22 PM
Good thread! I was just about to post a question to any Jet AFS-1000B owners. I read the Wood article (October 2006 issue) but now I don't have it - but I did remember JDS coming out on top.

So, are there any Jet AFS-1000B owners here who would like to comment on the performance? It's probably within my budget area and LOML came into the garage this afternoon and had to wave the dust out of the air to see me. If I get an email coupon from Rockler soon I'll drive up and pick one up (assuming they have one in stock).

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 7:59 PM
I have two Jet AFS-1000b's in my basement workshop and they are good machines. But, the caveat is to run them on low speed. One of my units is noticeable louder than the other. If you think these machines will make a difference in dust around the shop then, you may be expecting too much. They are really made to keep dust out of your lungs. All that said, it is a great addition to your shop. All of the units sold are of good quality.

Robert Mahon
12-11-2006, 7:25 AM
I have the AFS 1000 with the remote installed over the tablesaw and am quite pleased with it. To better the dust removal performance and make for easier cleaning I stacked the Charcoal element, the standard electrostatic element and a furnace element (the Charcoal element being closest to the bag element). This hasn't hurt the circulation and removes a LOT of airborne dust.

As Chris stated, it does not do much for the heavier particles but obviously removes the smaller that float around.

Cleaning is relatively simple as I use a vacuum wand to remove the dust from the outermost element daily. The others, from upstream to downstream, are weekly and the bag element monthly.

After 3 years the unit has performed very well.

Byron Trantham
12-11-2006, 8:41 AM
I own the JDS Air Tech 2000. It's about 10 years old and still running strong. When it dies, I will be replacing it with a another JDS unit.

Charles McKinley
12-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the replys.

glenn bradley
12-11-2006, 11:13 PM
From the article - airflow best to worst of the top 3: Jet AFSB 1000, Shop Fox W1690, JDS 750-ER. Dust collection on HIGH best to worst of the top 3: Delta 50-875, Grizzly G0572, Shop Fox W1690. Wood Mags top tool choice for overall features and performance: JDS 750-ER. I made one out of a 1150 CFM gable fan and some quality filters for about $40 (no remote, reachable switch :rolleyes: ). All units did better with an 'on tool' DC running. They also recommended replacing the JDS washable filter with a bag style filter.