PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to me Gloat?

David Tiell
12-07-2006, 5:08 PM
I got an email from Bridge City Tools today announcing a special I couldn't resist. I bought the 8 piece set. Normal price on this set was $749. I'm very happy to get it at $360. Does that count as a gloat?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/dtnq90yr/Woodworking/chisel7.jpg

Anyway, that's the end of Christmas for me!

Doug Shepard
12-07-2006, 6:45 PM
They ought to be ashamed of themselves for emailing you that offer. That's sort of like setting an open bottle in front of a recovering alcoholic.:D You've got a serious BCT problem friend. I got the same email but think I'm going to have to let this one go. I'm still recovering from the Festool bug I came down with last month. Looks like a good price though. I'd be interested to read a review once you put some miles on them. One of these days upgrading to better chisels is on my wish list. Don't think I've ever read anything about BCT's chisels. One thing about the list had me wondering - I noticed they have a 1/2" Crank LH Skew but not a 1/2" Crank RH Skew in the set. Do you know what the logic is behind that? If you had a need for the LH version, might you not also need a RH one? Or would this be something obvious had I just done more handcut sliding DT's?

David Tiell
12-07-2006, 11:43 PM
They ought to be ashamed of themselves for emailing you that offer. That's sort of like setting an open bottle in front of a recovering alcoholic.:D You've got a serious BCT problem friend. I got the same email but think I'm going to have to let this one go. I'm still recovering from the Festool bug I came down with last month. Looks like a good price though. I'd be interested to read a review once you put some miles on them. One of these days upgrading to better chisels is on my wish list. Don't think I've ever read anything about BCT's chisels. One thing about the list had me wondering - I noticed they have a 1/2" Crank LH Skew but not a 1/2" Crank RH Skew in the set. Do you know what the logic is behind that? If you had a need for the LH version, might you not also need a RH one? Or would this be something obvious had I just done more handcut sliding DT's?Doug,
For some reason she didn't explainwhen I ordered, or maybe I just didn't hear, the RH crankneck skew is included in the 8-pc set, but not available separately. So they do make one. Maybe it's just not available separately as a blem, because they had fewer blems of that model. Not really sure, but there is a RH crankneck skew in the set.

Bob Marino
12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
David,

On a friend's recommendation, I bought the Barr chisels and love em'. But the most comfortable chisels (just fit my hands better) were the LN's.
I'd be curious as to your impressions.

Bob

Allen Bookout
12-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Those things are really beautiful but what are they? Dosen't look like that they will bolt onto a cabinet saw anywhere. I guess that there is a definite distinction between a real craftsman and a power tool pusher.

David Tiell
12-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Those things are really beautiful but what are they? Dosen't look like that they will bolt onto a cabinet saw anywhere. I guess that there is a definite distinction between a real craftsman and a power tool pusher.Trust me, I'm far from what you would call a "real craftsman", leaning heavily toward the power tool pusher. But I have become a BCT addict over the years. To date, I haven't bought a tool of theirs that didn't feel as if it were custom made just for my hand. I held a long and heated debate with myself ( how do they say it? Talking to yourself doesn't mean you're crazy, it's when you answer yourself back?) and finally decided that this would be my Christmas present to myself. I have long wanted a pair of skew chisels, and ALMOST ordered them only. You only live once, right?

And Bob, once I receive them and play with them a little, I will let you know my thoughts on them.

Allen Bookout
12-08-2006, 12:33 AM
You are right David,

Just in case you only live once you might as well enjoy it. Merry Christmas!!!!

Allen