PDA

View Full Version : New Variable speed Jet Mini-lathe?

Dale Thompson
11-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm considering the new VS Jet mini for use up at my cabin. The PM 3520 is getting a bit heavy to carry back and forth for an old guy like me. :)

Has anyone had any experience with this lathe. I've seen its predecessor and have been impressed. What is the Morse taper on the unit? I've seen both #1 and #2 in different catalogs. Do you think that the bearings can support an adapted (from 1 1/8" 8 tpi) Nova Chuck? Does it have reverse for sanding. I'm such a terrific turner that I usually get an 800 grit finish right off the tool :D -- but -- sometimes I get a 20 grit or a 40 grit. :eek: :o

Any comments will be appreciated. I'm really close to buying the thing.

Dale T.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-07-2003, 7:31 AM
Dale, I recently received my VS Jet Mini, and I think it is an awesome machine. It is built very solidly, and I have used my Talon Chuck on it several times, and it works fine. I would think that it will support a decent sized chuck with no problem. My Mini uses #2 Morse Taper, so I don't know about the #1 taper, I have not seen one with the #1. Although I haven't turn extensively with the Mini yet, I have turned some good sized bowls, and it had all the power I have needed, and then some. IMO, it is a excellent machine for the Dollar. You are correct, the Mini is portable enough to take along to your cabin, without breaking your back getting it there. :)