PDA

View Full Version : Working with Hickory

David Less
12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Creekers,

My I'm going to make a large bathroom vanity and I'm considering Hickory for the construction. I've never used hickory before and am afraid of it's hardness, like buring from routing and cutting. My chioce was quarter sawn oak, but I can't find a good supplier. Can someone give me some insight on Hickery's machinabiltiy??

David

Jody Malinich
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Use sharp tools!!!! Hickory tends to splinter if your tooling is dull. It does tend to burn if your feed rate is too slow. It does take a stain well, I've done some transition strips for a friend and stained them with ZAR to match his new hardwood floor. Turned out really nice. Sanding is about the same as white oak because of it's hardness. All in all hickory is an excellant wood for things that will take some punishment and still look good.

Keel McDonald
12-07-2006, 12:14 PM
David,

Don't know much about the machinability, but I do know one thing. It makes a darn good switch!!!

Brian Triplett
12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
david,

I used hickory for my workbench, "hurricane delivered". I will agree with Jody, it dulled blades quick and I have the dewalk 735 planer which has the quickest dulling baldes made so I was switching those a few times. As for the QWS, you might try the internet and pay. I've used a few and they usually come in 5'0" lengths to be shipped by UPS or the price for shipping really goes up for longer pieces.

James Carmichael
12-07-2006, 1:09 PM
I've used pecan, which is close (hickory/pecan are usually sold as the same wood).

No problems, but as mentioned, it will dull your tools. It was easier-working than the purpleheart I've used, if that tells you anything.

Ralph Barhorst
12-07-2006, 1:15 PM
David,

I get all of my quarter-sawn white oak from http://www.frankmiller.com/

They specialize in quarter sawn wood and their prices are reasonable. I happen to live close so it is easy for me, but they are a major supplier of both retail and wholesale lumber and they do ship.

jonathan snyder
12-07-2006, 4:19 PM
I recently completed a Murphy bed, and used solid hickory for the headboard, as well as plywood edging and trim/molding. The lumber I worked with had an enormous amount of internal stress. It was hard to rip, kept pinching the kerf and thin rips would look like a snake within seconds of ripping. This was the only time I have ever used hickory, so I don't know if it was just the particular boards I used or if all hickory moves a-lot. Cutting, routing, and hand planing was not an issue, but it was hard on planer blades. It finished to a very nice color with BLO and orange shellac.

Jonathan

Larry Fox
12-07-2006, 4:32 PM
David,

Don't know much about the machinability, but I do know one thing. It makes a darn good switch!!!

I also don't know much about the machinability but it also flavors up a pork shoulder real nice - yummmm, pulled pork samiches!

Darl Bundren
12-07-2006, 9:31 PM
I also don't know much about the machinability but it also flavors up a pork shoulder real nice - yummmm, pulled pork samiches!

Amen to that.

lou sansone
12-08-2006, 4:57 AM
I have used it quite a bit ( true shag-bark hickory ) . very hard and will need to predrill. It is a mottled wood in terms of overall tone and that might bother some folks. I found once it was dry that it stayed put, but don't try to use any wood that is twisted or warped. you really can't force it into submission as some think. it is not going to give you the same look as quartered white oak though.

Lou

David Less
12-08-2006, 5:16 AM
Thanks for all the help Creekers, I've desided to go with Q S oak. I really appreciate everyones input.

David