12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm seriously considering the Vega 2600 Bowl lathe but want to
use a captured rig Hollowing system also and was wanting to
pick the Vega owner's brains to see if they're using a captured
rig system and if so, what's their setup?....a detached floor standing
tool rest???

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Not an owner, but you'd probably want to "build" upon the tailstock extension option for the Vega to accomodate a captured system. This would not be that dissimilar to what I do with my Stubby which is a short-bed system...the mount for the rear support extends back from the end of the ways.

Jeff Myers
12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks Jim, You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your setup
you could post do you?

Bill Grumbine
12-07-2006, 4:37 PM
Jeff, I have a Vega, and I have a captured rig for hollowing. The bad news is, I have not yet gotten around to adding the part I need for my captured rig to work properly, as the rear support is not quite long enough to make it up to center. But to answer your question, it should all go together very easily if you buy the bed extension from Vega. To the best of my knowlege, the bed extension was designed specifically for captured hollowing rigs. I think it was also designed for use with some coring systems, but my Kel MucNaughton works great without it.

Hollowing on the Vega is real comfortable, captured rig or not. Being able to get right in front of what you are doing is a real plus. Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Jeff Myers
12-08-2006, 8:45 AM
I emailed Randy at Vega and he suggested the bed extension as being
exactly what was needed for a captured rig system also.
I think I'm just about there,,,had two back to back craft shows that were
big successes each on their own, unfortunately, procceeds from one will
need to pay for Christmas and some vehicle work so I've got another
good show to do yet before i have the funds. I'm trying not to dip into
personal savings and see if i can purchase what i want strictly from craft
show income,,,but it seems i keep getting hit with bad timing and/or something comes up that dips into the craft show dollars. I've only done
4 shows so far and have made some pretty substantial $$$ but i keep
buying tools/gadgets out of my lathe fund and that pushes out the lathe purchase.:mad: ..but then again,,,it's paid for last year's and this year's Christmas's completely AND gotten a few neat tools in the shop and I haven't had to use personal funds for anything in the shop in the past year i've done these craft shows....so it's all good.:D
What a great hobby that can easily pay for itself while you learn new
techniques.

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 9:23 AM
Jeff, that sounds like a good way to go...but even if you have a temporary short-fall, if you feel having the machine will kick up your chances for additional income from future shows, make that part of the decision. In a sense, this is about "business", per se. Also, if you do claim the income on your taxes, having the equipment cost before the end of the year is a tax advantage.

Frank Kobilsek
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Jeff,
I have no experience with captured hollowing but on the Central Illinois Woodturners site one of my fellow members has posted picts of his set-up which may be another alternative for you. Check out http://centralillinoiswoodturners.com/dlee/Hollowing.pdf

Frank

Rick Anderson
12-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Jeff,
I have the Vega 2600 and love it. For hollowing I am using a setup made by Don Derry which mounts to the tool post and eliminates the need to buy the Vega bed extension. This is a fairly new tool and not yet shown on his website www.donaldderry.com (http://donaldderry.com) but I'm sure if you email Don he will send you information. His email is donald@donaldderry.com (http://sawmillcreek.org/donald@donaldderry.com) I really love that to use this rig doesn't take much more setup than changing tool rests. It also includes a laser pointer for gauging wall thickness.

John Miliunas
12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Jeff,
I have the Vega 2600 and love it. For hollowing I am using a setup made by Don Derry which mounts to the tool post and eliminates the need to buy the Vega bed extension. This is a fairly new tool and not yet shown on his website www.donaldderry.com (http://donaldderry.com) but I'm sure if you email Don he will send you information. His email is donald@donaldderry.com (http://sawmillcreek.org/donald@donaldderry.com) I really love that to use this rig doesn't take much more setup than changing tool rests. It also includes a laser pointer for gauging wall thickness.

Hey Rick, first of all, welcome to the Creek! :) Great to have you here! Secondly, would you happen to have or be able to take a shot or your setup on the Vega? I had just about resolved myself to build some sort of extension for that same reason on my 2400 and this may be a better solution. Thanks! :) :cool:

Rick Anderson
12-21-2006, 1:22 AM
Hey Rick, first of all, welcome to the Creek! :) Great to have you here! Secondly, would you happen to have or be able to take a shot or your setup on the Vega? I had just about resolved myself to build some sort of extension for that same reason on my 2400 and this may be a better solution. Thanks! :) :cool:

John,
Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to get things set up sometime soon and take a photo......with the holidays here and getting ready to move my shop I'm kinda up to my ears. Hopefully Don Derry will provide some good pics too.
Rick