PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Problems

Keel McDonald
12-07-2006, 6:53 AM
Last night I bought the Porter Cable 19.2V Cordless Drill/Driver (http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2691). I couldn't wait to charge it up and test it out. When I plugged it up, all was fine for a few minutes. But then it began making this soft high-pitched humming noise. It seemed to take longer that the manual recommended to charge. I thought maybe I didn't have it sitting just right in the charger, but that wasn't it. After charging the first battery, I put the 2nd battery on charge, and it did the same thing. I suppose it wouldn't bother me so much if it was a constant thing, but it's not. Like I said, at first, it's silent. After messing with it for a few minutes, it went silent again.

Is this normal? Both batteries did charge finally, but I want to know if this is the norm, or do I need to return it for another one?

patrick anderson
12-07-2006, 9:57 AM
as you just bought it take it back and exchange it....see if it happens again mate

Hoa Dinh
12-07-2006, 10:14 AM
My two DW chargers hum.

The chargers for my emergency lights hum.

My two Ryobi chargers don't hum.

I don't know if my Ridgid dual charger hums. Its fan is very noisy. I have to turn it off when I'm in the shop (I use a timer that will turn the charger on after several hours).

I think humming chargers are normal. If they sing, that'll be another story :p

Keel McDonald
12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
The humming doesn't bother me, it's that it's not a consistent thing. It comes and goes. And if it just hummed, I'd be okay, but it makes the type of noise that you hear just befor the "Emergency Broadcast System" message. I think I may exchange it.

Ralph Steffey
12-07-2006, 5:05 PM
I bought 2 of those yesterday at lowe's 99 dollar sale and neither make any noise I already had two more and they are silent also TAKE IT BACK

Jerry Olexa
12-07-2006, 5:39 PM
IMHO return it!! They should stand behind it and resolve the issue w a new one or credit,,,

Jeff Weight
12-07-2006, 8:56 PM
My PC charger makes the same sound, but I don't have any problems with it charging the batteries.

Wayne Ashing
12-07-2006, 9:12 PM
I have 3 of them and don't recall any strange noises? Also, I have a spare(new) 19.2 v 6" pc saw to go with one of those new drills ! $75 + Shipping if you never used one of these man are you in for a treat! Will slice through a 2x on a 45 like butter and according to PC make a 100+ 2x4 cuts on a fresh battery plus has dust collection.

Keel McDonald
12-08-2006, 7:30 AM
Well, after much debate, I returned it. They were very helpful and I had no problems returning it. I brought home another one, plugged it up, same noise. I also e-mailed the PC company and they claim it's "normal". The batteries charged fine. I guess some do and some don't. All I'm interested in is does it work. Seems to work fine. Thanks for the replies.

Jason Abel
12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
It is normal. Never seen one that didn't hum. Most people don't notice it but just like you I did as well. I had about 10-15 of them over the past two years. Never had any luck with them lasting but they all hummed til the end...

Jason

Keel McDonald
12-12-2006, 9:29 AM
It is normal. Never seen one that didn't hum. Most people don't notice it but just like you I did as well. I had about 10-15 of them over the past two years. Never had any luck with them lasting but they all hummed til the end...

Jason

You never had any luck with the drill lasting? I've always had good luck with PC tools.

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Some of mine hum, some don't. One is pretty loud, but has always worked

Jason Abel
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Never had any luck with the chargers lasting. They are even kept in a clean, dust free, termperature controlled environment...