PDA

View Full Version : Inspecting user laser

Howard Garner
12-07-2006, 6:45 AM
Just purchased a used Versa Laser VL-300 30 watt unit from a reprosesion company. Comes with the air compresssor and filter cabinet.

What should I be looking at when I pick this up and before I power it up for the first time?

Lee DeRaud
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Does it come with the software and manuals? There's a section on 'maintenance' (such as there is) in the manual. Just run through that for starters.

Mostly you're just checking that the carraige is free to move and the optics are all present, clean, and solidly installed. There's very little else you can do without power.

One other thing to be aware of: don't panic if you hit the power switch and nothing happens. This machine will not power up until the computer is booted and the USB connected. (I'm not sure, but the driver may have to be installed first also.)

Rob Bosworth
12-07-2006, 10:49 AM
The first thing I do when a new machine arives at my shop is a visual inspection. Look over the mechanics of the system to make sure everything looks right. Then try moving the indivual components to make sure nothing is binding or broken. Then I remove all of the optics and clean them. (Best to start out with clean optics, because they are quite expensive to replace.) Then I ACCESS all of the electronics, and vacuum or blow off any dirt dust, debris. Make sure it looks like everything is in the right place or seated correctly. (I know you do not know where everything should be, but visually if something is sitting in an enclosure and is hanging by some wires, you know that something is amiss.)

Install the systems drivers into your computer.

Hook up the power to your machine. Use a dedicated circuit. Do not hook it up to a power strip.

Hook up your exhaust bower. Attach it to your machine and run the exhaust hose to the outside.

Turn the machine on and pray the first thing you don't see is smoke.

Remember, the machine does not run correctly until you have all of the doors closed.

Good Luck!

Mike Mackenzie
12-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Howard,

If you are anywhere in southern Ca you are welcome to bring it here and we will completely go through it and even show you how to work with it.

If you are not near here then you are welcome to call or PM us we have all of the latest software and manuals and can assist you in setting it up.

Howard Garner
12-09-2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.
Mike, I am all the way across the country from you. Northwestern South Carolina, Pickens, near Greenville and Clemson.
Still a week before I can go get my new play topy.