PDA

View Full Version : lathe chucks

Bud Duffy
11-06-2003, 9:01 PM
whats the diffrent between the talon and nova chucks ?

John Miliunas
11-06-2003, 11:27 PM
whats the diffrent between the talon and nova chucks ?

About $10.00 to $25.00 bucks, depending on which package of the Nova you decide on. :D I was lucky and caught mine on a super sale at our local Woodcraft last Spring and it came out to about $160.00 w/thread insert.

Seriously, I think they are both almost exactly on par with one another. You'll get "It's the best!" responses from both camps of die-hard users. I went with the Nova, primarily because of the super price, plus the fact that I envision myself going to a bigger/better lathe at some point. The interchangeable thread inserts, therefore, made more sense to me. :cool:

Tom Sweeney
11-07-2003, 12:15 AM
;) Actually I've only used it once & I primarily went with it because several people I trust said they thought it was slightly better. I really didn't look closely at the nova.

I just wanted to point out that the talon I just bought has an interchangeable thread insert. I don't know if it's something new but mine has it. I do think it works very well.

John Miliunas
11-07-2003, 7:51 AM
;)
I just wanted to point out that the talon I just bought has an interchangeable thread insert. I don't know if it's something new but mine has it. I do think it works very well.

Hmmmm...Wasn't aware of the interchangeable thread inserts! That *really* makes it a toss-up! :cool:

Rick Allen
11-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Hi Bud

There are several differences between the two chucks you mention.

But the difference between either of these chucks and a faceplate is H U G E!

This is to say that either chuck will work great for you.

The Nova chuck is a tommy bar chuck. This means that you use two tommy bars to push in opposite direction to open and close the jaws.

The Super Nova uses a key to tighten as does the Talon.

The jaws on the Super Nova are dovetail shaped and to get the best grip the tenon or recess on the wood should match that size and profile.

The Super Nova key turns anti clockwise to tighten on a tenon.

The threaded insert on the Super Nova threads into the chuck body.

The Talon has the key turn clockwise to tighten the jaws on a tenon.

The profile of the jaws used on the talon in compression are such that the profile and size of the tenon for the work piece are less critical for a good grip than the Super Nova. Please not that the jaws which Oneway uses for the Talon can be used on the Super Nova if you remove the "safety" pin.

The Talon has a pin in one of the jaws to prevent opening the jaws to wide.

The insert for the talon is a taper lock that is Additionaly secured with two Allen bolts.

The talon insert has 2 set screws near the headstock end which can be used to prevent the talon chuck from accidently coming lose.

There are some differences between the two chucks. I think those differences makes the Talon a slightly better chuck. If someone gave me a Super Nova chuck I wouldn't go to the trouble of trading it in to get a Talon chuck.

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
11-07-2003, 1:37 PM
I have the Super Nova chuck with all the accessories...include the Cole Jaw set.......Nothing like it in my book. I like the chuck and will keep it even when I upgrade to a larger lathe.

Bud Duffy
11-07-2003, 10:30 PM
thanx for the info guys i am going to the local woodcraft store today to look (local 75 miles)everything out here in the desert is a little drive away.