PDA

View Full Version : Toolus Gloatus Blackus

Glen Blanchard
12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
The order was placed with SawStop by our local Woodcraft store on Monday of last week. The saw was delivered to the store on Monday of this week and was in my garage a few hours thereafter. 2 friends, my wife, and I moved it from its pallet onto the mobile base. Just finished getting it all set up this evening. Had to modify the extension table to acommodate the Excalibur guard.

Think I'm really gonna like this big boy. The owners manual in incredible - spiral bound, something like 100 pages, color images, great detail. I have NEVER seen an owners manual for a stationary tool like this one. Sure beats the heck out of those 5 page photocopied black and white manuals I have seen in the past.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking5/IMG_3372_processed.jpg

John Miliunas
12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Well now, Glen, that thar SS looks quite comfy in the confines of your shop! Congrats and be sure to give us updates once you're run some real work through it! :) :cool:

Ted Baca
12-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Glen I share your excitement. I received mine last friday. It's achore to move but it is worth it. I haven't made any cuts yet as I want get must dustcollection hooked up to it. My previous saw didn't have dust collection, hence the motive to upgrade. But the first time that motor kicks on is a "woodworkers orgasm of the heart" isn't it? I too plan to add the Excalibur Over Arm Guard. I already had the fence, and transferred it to the SS. Modifications were needed there as well. What mods did you need to install the OAG? Is that new or have you had for a while? If previously mounted on a saw, how do you like it? Pro's - Cons?

Ted
PS Congrats on the new addition to your shop!

lou sansone
12-07-2006, 4:47 AM
congrats on the new saw. folks really like the sawstop, not only for the safety features but for the general quality of the saw. best wishes
lou

Mike Cutler
12-07-2006, 5:08 AM
Nice, very nice. Those are sweet cabinet saws. There is only one problem with owning them. You never get to blame a mistake on the machinery again.;) That ShopFox mobile base is nice also. I use the same one.

Nice Gloat Glen. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ron Blaise
12-07-2006, 5:08 AM
Congratulations Glen on your latest boy-toy. I know you will enjoy that saw.

Peter Stahl
12-07-2006, 7:19 AM
Congrats on your new saw! That black is gonna show a lot of dust though.:)

Lars Thomas
12-07-2006, 7:26 AM
Looks like a nice one. Good luck with it. Lars

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Nice!! Congratulations on your new saw...and like John said, (the good looking fellow he is...) the saw looks "comfy" in its new home!

Glen Blanchard
12-07-2006, 11:49 AM
I too plan to add the Excalibur Over Arm Guard. I already had the fence, and transferred it to the SS. Modifications were needed there as well. What mods did you need to install the OAG? Is that new or have you had for a while? If previously mounted on a saw, how do you like it? Pro's - Cons?

Ted -

I had the Excalibur OAG on my previous saw (Jet cabinet). I only have the SawStop 36" fence as I don't have the room for the 50". That will change when I retire - gonna have a house built with a 24' x 36' shop. Then I'll upgrade to the longer fence. But I digress. My Jet had a 30" fence and that was at the upper end of what my shop can handle. However, I added the OAG to the end of the Jet extension table, which really pushed it. I just don't have room to add the OAG to the end of a 36" fence - I would not be able to walk around the table saw if I did. There was no need, however, for me to shorten the rails on the SS to make room for the OAG. I decided to shorten the extension table only so it is shy of the full length of the rails, thus creating a "chase" into which my OAG fits. I attached the OAG to the extension table, but the table was not fit for the added weight of the OAG, so I beefed it up considerably and capped the end with a 1.5" of oak into which the OAG is bolted. I left a "lip" at that end of the extension table so the 1.5" of oak is hidden under that beautiful black glossy table top.

The Excalibur OAG is nice, but is the only one I have used so cannot really compare to anything else. I like being able to swing the thing out of the way quickly and easily. My biggest gripe with it is that I wish there was more blade visibility. There is a bit too much metal frame around the plexiglass for my tastes.

Congratulations on the new saw. Use it in good health!!

glenn bradley
12-07-2006, 1:56 PM
Single 'N' Glen,

That is sweet! I thought I was looking at a Grizzly at first but then realized I was so green with envy it was up to my eyeballs! Enjoy your new saw.

Glenn

Tom Ruflin
12-07-2006, 5:57 PM
Glen, nice setup! It looks just like mine except I have the older version of the Excaliber. You are going to love that saw!

Jim Murphy
12-07-2006, 7:39 PM
Nice looking saw. All dolled up in the little black party dress!

Jerry White
12-07-2006, 8:10 PM
Great addition to your shop, Glen. Enjoy! :D

Ted Baca
12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Glen
Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have heard both ways on the Excalibur but have not used one or seen one on display except at shows.
You mention the visability is poor, that causes me concern. How is the dust collection and what do you think of the eaase of swinging the arm out of the way any comments there?

Glen Blanchard
12-08-2006, 1:27 PM
You mention the visability is poor, that causes me concern. How is the dust collection and what do you think of the eaase of swinging the arm out of the way any comments there?
I would not go so far as to say that the visibility is poor. My point is that with less frame and more plexiglass, it could be better. I can't really comment on the dust collection, as I don't curretnlty have it connected. The ease of swinging this thing and getting it out of the way is awesome.

BTW, is it just me or does the SawStop (with its enhanced dust collection engineering) do a FANTASTIC job even with the zero clearance insert? I have limited experience with this saw, but it seems that there is much less stuff flying across the table.

Jim Becker
12-08-2006, 2:27 PM
Relative to the Excalibur guard, yes, when you are doing work close to the fence, it can be visually "discomforting"...unless you trust your setups. I tend to not use mine when the cuts are narrow, but do bring it out when there is a reasonable amount of space between the fence and the cut. I'm specifically not watching the blade anyway...I'm watching where my hands are relative to the blade and how the material is staying on the fence properly. And on those cuts, it's the dust collection that I'm most concerned with...which it is very good at.

Brian Elfert
12-08-2006, 2:47 PM
How much does the Sawstop sell for at Woodcraft? Woodcraft's web site only lists which stores sell the Sawstop.

I looked at www.sawstop.com (http://www.sawstop.com) and it appears the saw, fence, and shipping are over $4,000. I could maybe see $3,000 as this is a nice saw, but I could never justify $4,000 for it.

Brian Elfert

Glen Blanchard
12-08-2006, 4:00 PM
How much does the Sawstop sell for at Woodcraft? Woodcraft's web site only lists which stores sell the Sawstop.

I looked at www.sawstop.com (http://www.sawstop.com) and it appears the saw, fence, and shipping are over $4,000. I could maybe see $3,000 as this is a nice saw, but I could never justify $4,000 for it.

Brian Elfert

The saw with 32" fence, extra insert, extra 10" brake cartridge, 8" dado brake cartridge, sales tax and shipping ran me in the neighborhood of $4.1K.

Brian Elfert
12-08-2006, 7:18 PM
The saw with 32" fence, extra insert, extra 10" brake cartridge, 8" dado brake cartridge, sales tax and shipping ran me in the neighborhood of $4.1K.

Great saw and great technology, but not worth it for me. Maybe they will do a hybrid saw that is more affordable.

It seems pretty steep for Chinese/Taiwanese saw. The closest comparision is probably the PM 2000, but the PM 2000 is only 2/3 of the cost or less.

Brian Elfert