PDA

View Full Version : Need Scanner help.

Joe Tonich
11-06-2003, 7:39 PM
I have a Mustek 600 III EP Plus (Twain) and have Win/XP. I downloaded the drivers I found (supposed to be XP compatable) and it worked once. Now every time I try to scan anything I get a "Fail Load" window. When I go to "Control Panel" - "Scanners" it shows no scanner installed. I used the CD it came with to install it, no go. I also tried shutting off the comp., removed the scanner, started the comp., shut it back down, reconnected the scanner and restarted the comp. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks,

Joe

Mike Evertsen
11-07-2003, 12:48 AM
IMHO I found it better to replace it with compatable unit than upgrade the drivers,,,my lexmark works great on windows 98 on windows ME even with the drives installed from lexmark never worked right,,,I went back to windows 98
it works great again,,,,

John Miliunas
11-07-2003, 8:35 AM
I typically don't like to upgrade hardware for the sake of the operating system, unless I really have to. That said, I try to work with whatever I have, but sometimes you just reach a point.... On this one, I have to agree with Mike. I checked out the Mustek site and it shows the drivers for XP to be "compatible". I have a hunch what they mean by this is that you may need to use and configure it to run in XP's "compatibility mode", which can be a PITA. I recently retired a working scanner for the same reason. With no disrespect to Mike, I'd much sooner do that than go back to Win 9X. Plus, the newer scanners are typically much faster, use the USB interface (which is also faster) and are not expensive. I picked up a Visioneer about 1/2-yr. ago for under a C-note and it works great. :cool:

Joe Tonich
11-07-2003, 9:55 PM
Thanks. I ended up getting another scanner that works with XP.

Joe