PDA

View Full Version : Inlace and similar fillers?

Joe Pack
12-06-2006, 9:56 PM
I WILL finish the harp by Christmas!!!!!! A project I started two years ago is next up on the "must finish" list. I need to figure out how to fix a goof, though.

I glued in a loose tenon on a curved surface using Gorilla glue, held in place with the heaviest rubber bands I could find. Never having used Gorilla glue before, I didn't realize the power of the expanding foam. The end result is a slightly less than 1/8" gap where it should not be. I can't remove the gap, so I need to highlight it. I am familiar with the concept of Inlace type products, but have never used them. I don't want to make the mistake I made with Gorilla glue - using a product for the first time on an important piece - so I am looking for some hints. Is this product as "foolproof" as the blurbs make it sound? I will definitely practice on scrap first, but sure could use some guidance as to favored products, tips on use, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie Plesums
12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
I have used inlace on turnings, works very well for that. Never used it on flat work.

The only joint I have had fail (other than the ones where I said "I wonder if glue will fix it") was with Gorilla glue. The foam has almost no strength, so if it has filled an area in the joint, the joint will fall apart. The first thing I would recommend you do it clean out the gorilla glue and fix the joint, even if you have to enlarge things and fill with new wood. After my bad experience, I won't have Gorilla glue in my shop.

Joe Pack
12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Fortunately, the joint strength is not affected. I was actually gluing a loose tenon (2"x4"x5/8") into two mortises to connect two pieces of thick walnut. The slight foaming was where the Gorilla glue pushed the pieces apart by about 1/8" because I didn't have it clamped, just heavy rubber bands.

My mistake was that this was the first time using this glue...something I know better than to do without doing practice pieces. I had no idea it would foam apart the pieces. The glue was not at fault, the craftsman was. :-(

John Headley
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I've used the inlace on a small box project before. The inlace was a gift, and didn't have any projects in planing that I could use it on. My 11 yr old son decided to make a box for Mothers Day last year, and used some of it on it as an accent. I followed the instructions and worked pretty much as advertised. I would like to add a few suggestions though.

First of all, make sure the shop is well ventilated. This stuff stinks and the smell doesn't dissipate until it has completely dried. Fill your gap, making sure the inlace is thick enough to fill it, there is very little shrinkage during curing. After drying, it sands very well and takes a finish with no problems. After sanding, you may end up with a few exposed air holes. Just mix up a small amount and fill the holes with a toothpick, allow to dry and then sand, it blends in nicely.

If you plan to use a solid color, you can make your own inlace. The most recent Woodsmith had an article on how to make it with a two part epoxy and some dyes.

This is the box my son made with the inlace.

http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/pp/data/500/medium/P5150040_edited-1.jpg