PDA

View Full Version : Teak Sofa with leather

Mark Singer
12-06-2006, 9:21 PM
The sofa i made for my friend , Architect, Ed Lohrbach is now upolstered with leather and down cushions...I expected something a little thinner in depth , but it looks and feels great!

Jim Becker
12-06-2006, 9:23 PM
Nice! That's a real beauty and I bet those cushions are comfy!

Dan Larson
12-06-2006, 9:38 PM
Mark, of all the work you've posted here... I think I like this one the best. Design... joinery... wood... they're all in a sublime harmony here. I now aspire to one day make beautiful mitered dovetails like these.

Dan

Gary Keedwell
12-06-2006, 9:39 PM
Hey Jim.....about your picture....are you on the Post Office wall, lately? LOL

Gary K. (just kidding)

Jim Becker
12-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Jim.....about your picture....are you on the Post Office wall, lately?
Blame Andy Hoyt...it's one of his masterpieces...

Edit...ok, I changed it...that avatar was a little too much like the flying nun. And I'll have none of that!

Gary Keedwell
12-06-2006, 10:45 PM
LOL They'll never find you now!!!

Gary K.

Mark Singer
12-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Jim,
your hat is stealing my thread and its making me laugh:rolleyes: which right now is not a good thing ....tommorows my colonoscopy and today I drank the wonderful tasting liquid and I am vistitng the little woodworkers room....often....very often....wops got to go........

Cecil Arnold
12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Mark, really like the sofa, hope the wife doesn't as I know how much work you put in on it. As to the scope, been there, done that. Fortunately if everything is good you have 10 years to look forward to the next one.

I think Pac Man is eating Jim's head.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Mark....Fantastic sofa! I really appreciate that tight joinery!

John Michaels
12-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Really beautiful piece Mark!! When I was a kid my dad made some teak furniture that he got from a salvaged ship, we also had several Dansk pieces around the house. Teak is one of my favorite woods and always brings back childhood memories.

Mark Singer
12-06-2006, 11:55 PM
I hated the teak when I was doing the sofa....it thrashed my planer knives, day one.....now I am back with shedua and it is so hard it is impossible...just deepening one hinge mortise dulled a fine Japanese chisel and a LN chisel....next time it is walnut or mahogany....I am exoticed out:rolleyes: The wood is pretty....I am tired of filling the cracks in paduak...wenge has the splinters and the weight....zebra tears out like crazy...ooooh! Walnut and mahogany maybe cherry....not jatoba...no zercote...merbau oh...the smell of santos mahogany....it can kill ya...maybe maple or oak..

Neil Lamens
12-07-2006, 6:41 AM
I hated the teak when I was doing the sofa....it thrashed my planer knives, day one.....now I am back with shedua and it is so hard it is impossible...just deepening one hinge mortise dulled a fine Japanese chisel and a LN chisel....next time it is walnut or mahogany....I am exoticed out:rolleyes: The wood is pretty....I am tired of filling the cracks in paduak...wenge has the splinters and the weight....zebra tears out like crazy...ooooh! Walnut and mahogany maybe cherry....not jatoba...no zercote...merbau oh...the smell of santos mahogany....it can kill ya...maybe maple or oak..

Hi Mark..............that's a nice sofa, all of us often overlook this design style, even though in some form we've all been influenced by it.

As for your being "exoticed"........I love the veneers, but JEEZ...the solids, I rationalize my preference for domestics because to find a real good domestic local board for me is like an exotic. Local suppliers do not carry wenge, etc. so if needed I have to order and have it shipped, people never discuss the dropped damage in shipping. Learned the hard way (many times) how brittle 8/4 wenge is. Not all UPS/FedEx carriers are prepared for the "exotic wood deadlift".

You'll probably slide back every once in a while but welcome back to the good domestic side Master Luke.....I mean Mark.

Neil

Nate Rogers
12-07-2006, 8:02 AM
Mark,
That looks great, I always enjoy reading your posts. I was wondering where you got your cushions, did you use a upholstery (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=upholstery&spell=1) shop? or did you purchase them premade?

Nate

Mike Cutler
12-07-2006, 8:08 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed. I like it. I'm not normally a big fan of exposed joinery, but the exposed joinery in this is an integral part of the design element, and really adds to the overall presence of the sofa.

Don't swear off the exotics just yet bro'. I've used a lot of your suggestions and photo tutorials to help me out when working with the exotics. The micro splinters from wenge might be a bit much though.;)

Once again Mark. Very well done.

John Miliunas
12-07-2006, 8:16 AM
Mark, as always, wonderful work. Love the design, the general execution and those joints are killer!!! Fantastic, my friend! :) It's a guaranteed pleasure to see the results from a Master at work! Well done, man. :) :cool:

Eric Commarato
12-07-2006, 8:27 AM
It is wonderful Mark, clean, and modern.

Eric

Martin Shupe
12-07-2006, 8:49 AM
Beautiful sofa, Mark, I really admire the perfect joinery.

John Schreiber
12-07-2006, 8:51 AM
I love the look, the wood and the joinery, but I confess to being confused by the "flying arms."

First, they look like the comfortable place for armrests, but of course, you couldn't get your arm over there, so I'm not quite sure what function they serve. Maybe like an attached side table?

Second, I can't make out how they are joined to the rest of the piece at the front of the arm. It looks like they meet corner to corner with the front vertical support. That wouldn't allow for any joinery, so I must not be seeing it right.

Thanks for educating me.

Mike Wilkins
12-07-2006, 9:06 AM
Fine work. I love the modernist twist with the shape & styling.
About the colonoscopy: been there, done that last year. I feel your pain.
I pray that you have great results.

Mark Singer
12-07-2006, 9:09 AM
I love the look, the wood and the joinery, but I confess to being confused by the "flying arms."

First, they look like the comfortable place for armrests, but of course, you couldn't get your arm over there, so I'm not quite sure what function they serve. Maybe like an attached side table?

Second, I can't make out how they are joined to the rest of the piece at the front of the arm. It looks like they meet corner to corner with the front vertical support. That wouldn't allow for any joinery, so I must not be seeing it right.

Thanks for educating me.

John, the original design of this sofa was by Rudolf Schindler and was what my friend requested....I changed it considerably and added the exposed joinery , but the arm component remained. It can be used as a side table would for holding a drink....or someting...even a person (I sat on them) It is joined by using screws that are plugged and gluing with a couple of dowels in each joint..here are some pics...it doesn't show that well

Mark Singer
12-07-2006, 9:18 AM
Thanks for your comments...my best work is often for friends...especially designers that know the difference in quality.....you try to do your best and it takes a lot of self inquiry and patence to stay at that high level through a large project like this.. You got to hang in there:rolleyes: My slam on exotics is a temporary thing, I am sure...the shedua I am working on is tough ..Drill bits break...it eats even steel screws ...I am drilling in softer dowel inserts to accept the hinge screws ...a bit frustrating..

Jason Tuinstra
12-07-2006, 9:44 AM
It turned out great Mark. Looks very inviting.

Charles McKinley
12-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Another stunning piece Mark!

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Very nice!! Danish modern and some old fashioned joinery. It's a sweet couch.

John Timberlake
12-07-2006, 1:22 PM
Great job, Mark. Love the look of the teak and the contrast with the black leather. Looks like a great place to sit and read a book (woodworking of course).

Art Mulder
12-07-2006, 1:27 PM
now upolstered with leather and down cushions

Mark, it is really neat to see the end result. Usually I am really good with 3d visualization, but with this plan I really had a hard time seeing what the project was going to end up looking like.

And about the cushions... surely it isn't completely down filled, is it? Is there a foam core?

I made a mission love seat a couple years back, and put in some fairly stiff cushions, and I sometimes regret it. I wish it was a bit more smooshy.
(I used to have a friend who worked for a furniture company doing repairs and the like in their factory. His advice was always to get the firmest cushion possible, since it'll just get flat with age, and the firmer one will last longer. I think I may have gone too far though... )

best,
...art

Blaine Harrison
12-07-2006, 2:08 PM
The sofa is gorgeous. And I bet it's heavy!

Tyler Howell
12-07-2006, 2:37 PM
Ever think about a career in art and design:confused:
You could do pretty good :rolleyes: .
Well done as always

Calvin Hobbs
12-07-2006, 3:08 PM
Nice clean work, Mark. Excellent joinery. The wood has a great warmth to it.

Bill White
12-07-2006, 5:16 PM
Mark, If ya keep practicing ya might get it right sometime (HE HE HE). All kiddin'aside, its great (not the colonoscopy). Hope all is well with the test. Good on you for having it done.
Bill

Dan McGuire
12-07-2006, 5:34 PM
Mark,

Great stuff!! Did I miss the tutorial on the joinery for the side seat/drink holder?? I have looked at all the pictures a couple of times and I love the detail. True craftsmanship

Dan

Mark Singer
12-07-2006, 6:17 PM
Mark,

Great stuff!! Did I miss the tutorial on the joinery for the side seat/drink holder?? I have looked at all the pictures a couple of times and I love the detail. True craftsmanship

Dan

There is a section of my work that includses the joinery at....http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/index.asp

and the sofa tutorial at SMC is

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40078&highlight=teak+sofa

t=39783&highlight=teak+sofa

Dan Mages
12-07-2006, 8:51 PM
As usual, you make it look too easy. Is there anything you can't do?

Dan

BTW LOML still wants your house. Has it sold yet? ;)

Dan

Mark Singer
12-08-2006, 1:30 AM
As usual, you make it look too easy. Is there anything you can't do?

Dan

BTW LOML still wants your house. Has it sold yet? ;)

Dan

Dan, not sold I am waiting y for you! ....Thanks about my work...I learn by doing and there is plent for me to learn.....every project I pick up something new..