PDA

View Full Version : Need a new lathe

Jason Hallowell
12-06-2006, 7:22 PM
My POS Harbor Freight lathe finally died today. Even turning pens was just too much for the little 1/2 hp motor. I guess I am torn between the dissapointment in not being able to turn anything for a while, and the excitement of the prospect of getting a "real lathe". I will have a little time to shop as I save up some money, but I am wanting to get an idea of what I am saving up for. I will be turning mostly bowls, pens, and other smaller items. I have heard some good things about both the Rikon and Jet mini's, but I am open to anything with a normal spindle thread and a morse taper in the headstock (both of which will be new to me). What kind of suggestions do you guys have for me?

Bob Noles
12-06-2006, 8:12 PM
Not a suggestion, just a statement.

I love my Jet 1014VS

Nancy Laird
12-06-2006, 8:22 PM
Not a suggestion, just a statement.

I love my Jet 1014VS

And I love my little Woodtek!

Nancy

Mark Pruitt
12-06-2006, 8:36 PM
I have a Harbor Freight 34706; the motor quit on me. To take care of my turning needs while saving up for The Big Lathe, I purchased a Rikon Mini, which turned out to be a lemon. Won't bore you with details but there was a bad tailstock and a problem with the spindle lock. I returned the Rikon and now own a Delta Midi which is doing fine so far. Either the Jet Mini or the Delta Midi are good choices.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Jason.................since it's your bill.....May I take the liberty of recommending Mayo or Mustard?........(Oneway or PM)

Reed Gray
12-06-2006, 10:46 PM
You could just replace the motor with a bigger one and a link belt. Or get another lathe.
robo hippy

Adam Bauer
12-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I have a Jet Mini and couldn't be happier. I've also turned on a Delta mini and it was a nice little machine as well.

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Jason I have the Rikon and love it. It will do a 12" bowl or platter and anything down from their. I turned 2 platters out of maple that were actually 11 7/8" and could still put a quarter under it on the bed.

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Nah - don't listen to that Bernie guy.

Go get yourself a big ol' Oneway.

You can put a gold ingot underneath just about anything and still have room to spare.

Fred Floyd
12-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I have a Jet 1642-2hp. It has done everything I have asked. Plenty of power, normal #2 morse taper head and tailstock. I also picked up a Jet 1014vs at Rockler's sale. That has been great for small stuff -- and it's portable.

Jason Hallowell
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
You could just replace the motor with a bigger one and a link belt. Or get another lathe.
robo hippy

The tailstock, bedways, spindle, and toolrest holder are all barely functional, so I think I will go with a whole new lathe. I might salvage the centers, and the tool rest, but the rest is destined for the scrap-yard.

Jonathon Spafford
12-07-2006, 2:14 AM
Go for a jet mini (manual speed)... they are a really great lathe and I love mine. I have never heard anything bad about one!
Condolences on your dearly departed harbor freight and congratulations on your lathe to come! :D

Randy Meijer
12-07-2006, 3:54 AM
My POS Harbor Freight lathe finally died today. Even turning pens was just too much for the little 1/2 hp motor. I guess I am torn between the dissapointment in not being able to turn anything for a while, and the excitement of the prospect of getting a "real lathe". I will have a little time to shop as I save up some money, but I am wanting to get an idea of what I am saving up for. I will be turning mostly bowls, pens, and other smaller items. I have heard some good things about both the Rikon and Jet mini's, but I am open to anything with a normal spindle thread and a morse taper in the headstock (both of which will be new to me). What kind of suggestions do you guys have for me?

If you can't even turn a pen with a 1/2HP lathe, there is some other problem here??? Exactly what is the problems with your lathe?? Bearings shot, motor burned out, something else? Even if you want a better lathe, the old one may have some utility remaining and be restoreable at minimal expense. Many folks use their old lathe as a buffing station, for instance.

Assuming for the moment that the motor isn't working, 9 times out of ten,it is a $10 capacitor that is bad rather than the motor, itself. Also possible that it is something as simple as a bad switch.....about a $5 fix.

The thing may really be ready for the junk heap; but you haven't told us enough to be sure???

John Hart
12-07-2006, 6:22 AM
I want one with a gold ingot underneath it.:)

Jeff Myers
12-07-2006, 8:49 AM
I agree with Randy, may just be a capacitor. Not long ago, i thought my Jet mini was heading to the dump, it would spin up and then slow down to a crawl,,,would still spin, just didn't have any torque,,,i could stop it's spinning with the slightest pressure. Jet tech thought the motor was shot but i ordered their capacitor first for $17 to the door pricing just to make sure and sure enough, that's all it was. Been running like a champ again ever since.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-07-2006, 9:28 AM
Hey Jason, have you thought about a VB-36 Master Bowlturner? Pens might be a bit tough but bowls or anything else, not a problem. Saving will take a bit more time.:D Just thought the Mayo and Mustard idea needed a little lettuce.

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Jason...what is your budget? That definitely affects which condiments will be on your lazy susan to choose from... ;) :) :D

Lee DeRaud
12-07-2006, 11:51 AM
I want one with a gold ingot underneath it.:)Forget it: the gold ingot was used to pay for the Oneway. :eek:

Jon Shively
12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Jason, I am really new to lathes and turning, but bought a 15" Craftsman, and it is doing everything I could ask of it. Bought a duplicator for it to turn some baseball bats. It is a #2 MT, and haven't felt like I bought a lemon. Plus, more affordable for me.

Paul Engle
12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
What John said.:eek: :D I sure like my 1236 Jet VS. keep forgetting I can rotate the head stock as lathe is mounted on work bench against the wall...duh me , thats why I bought it in the first place ......:rolleyes:

Jason Hallowell
12-07-2006, 10:39 PM
If you can't even turn a pen with a 1/2HP lathe, there is some other problem here??? Exactly what is the problems with your lathe?? Bearings shot, motor burned out, something else? Even if you want a better lathe, the old one may have some utility remaining and be restoreable at minimal expense. Many folks use their old lathe as a buffing station, for instance.

Assuming for the moment that the motor isn't working, 9 times out of ten,it is a $10 capacitor that is bad rather than the motor, itself. Also possible that it is something as simple as a bad switch.....about a $5 fix.

The thing may really be ready for the junk heap; but you haven't told us enough to be sure???

I'm positive the motor is fried. I spent half the day rulling out the switch and capacitor. The lathe only costs $135 new, which might explain why the tail stock and tool rest holder are so difficult to use for their intended purposes. Trying to secure the tailstock without twisting it away from center is near impossible. If a new motor is reasonably cheap, I might take your suggestion and turn it into a dedicated bufing machine. I appreciate the help.

Steven Wilson
12-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Too bad about your lathe. I upgraded from a Delta Midi lathe to a Oneway 2436 (3hp) a few years back and have been very satisfied although I do find that I'm mainly turning fishing rod handles (cork) these days. It really depends what your budget is and what things you want to turn. The variable speed Jet mini would be a good choice.

Fred Loeffler
12-08-2006, 4:46 AM
Hi where are you located

Jason Hallowell
12-08-2006, 6:15 PM
Hi where are you located

I'm in Tucson Az, how about you?

Jason Hallowell
12-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Jason...what is your budget? That definitely affects which condiments will be on your lazy susan to choose from... ;) :) :D

After talking with the LOML, it looks like I need to keep it under $1,000. Unless I find a good deal on something used, it looks like many of the suggestions are over my budget. Does anybody know anything about the Grizzly G0462? It looks like it may be too good to be true.

John Shuk
12-09-2006, 9:41 AM
I was lucky enough to find a 16 inch Delta refurbed for under $1k. If you keep a close eye out they can be found. Contact Delta for a list of refurb sellers. I'm very happy with it......especially at that price! Thank goodness for fellow Creekers!

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-46-755X-Horsepower-Variable-Woodworking/dp/B0006GVNRM/sr=1-2/qid=1165675156/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4834832-9203300?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Mine is the 2hp version.