PDA

View Full Version : The wife called me cheap!!!

Robert Mickley
12-06-2006, 4:39 PM
AS a few of my visitors can testify too I am frugal. Went and looked at a couple vehichles today. A 1988 Caprice classic with only 33,000 origioanl miles and an 82 3/4 ton suburban with 78,000 miles. Neither one have been plated in 7 years, unfortunatly neither one have been started in 3 years :eek: The gentleman that owned them is gettting some guff from the village about them and they had to be gone.

Suburban has some rust around the fenders, interior is prettty good worst thing being the headliner is falling. Under side is just starting to rust.

The Caprice. Outside the hood and roof have surface rust from just sitting around. Inside its spotless. The underside is perfect.

Both have 350 engines and 4 speed automatic overdrives. AC tilt wheels, cruise control.

Bought em both for $200. Worst case scenario is the both end up going to the bailer and I'll make money on them. Best case is The caprice gets new paint and we drive it for 5 years or so, the Sububan gets the minamul and drive it till I get my truck rebuilt then junk it.

Waiting on my neighbor to get home so we can take his roll off and go get them.

Mike Armstrong
12-06-2006, 4:49 PM
Here's your chance to score some major brownie points with the wife. Buy her something nice for Christmas that she really wants [not tools!] and tell her you bought the cars cheap so you'd have extra money for Christmas. Otherwise, you'll hear about it every time she get in one of those cars. DAMHIKT
:D

Mike

Bob Childress
12-06-2006, 5:04 PM
Robert,

Your wife is correct. :D

Robert Mickley
12-06-2006, 6:18 PM
Mike, you haven't mastered selective hearing yet? Isn't that one of the basic courses you have to pass when you get married? :D

Joe Pelonio
12-06-2006, 6:42 PM
Robert,

You actually scored on that. Caprices are very popular with the professional athletes. I do some laser work for several custom car shops, and in fact did the Caprice logo for some upholstery work on a '73 for one of the Seattle Sonics. For what you paid, since they'd be repainting it anyway, you might just be able to get some good money for it.

Down a ways in this article under "It's in the details" it mentions the Caprice.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002186408_sonicars22.html

Jim DeLaney
12-06-2006, 7:05 PM
...the Sububan gets the minamul and drive it till I get my truck rebuilt then junk it...

Robert,
I've seen your truck. The Suburban may have to last for quite a while...

Bruce Page
12-06-2006, 7:09 PM
I'd have to agree with your wife. :D

Robert Mickley
12-06-2006, 7:58 PM
Robert,
I've seen your truck. The Suburban may have to last for quite a while...

Oh yea of little faith :D:D

Joe
now you have me on the hunt

Paul Greathouse
12-06-2006, 8:56 PM
From one frugal guy to another, you made a great deal. I'm jealous. Even if they don't run, you could part them out for way more than $200...Paul

Charles McKinley
12-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Great score Robert!

What are you looking for for your truck? My brother probably has it or knows someone that does.

Way more in either of those in parts than $200. Plus the scrap of the shell.

Oil the undersides well the stuff they put on the roads now eats cars far faster than salt ever did.

Robert Mickley
12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Chuck
I need a 5 speed manual tranny to fit a 7.3 liter ford diesel, plus a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and all the related goodies to convert from an automatic to a standard. Clutch pedal, master and slave cylanders pretty much the whole shooting match Trucks a 93 F-250

Mike Armstrong
12-07-2006, 1:03 AM
Mike, you haven't mastered selective hearing yet? . . . :D
Yeah, but my "hardware" is worn out from overuse!:(

Robert Mickley
12-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Well the suburban need a dist cap and a rotor plus fresh gas. It ran rough for about 10 minutes. Backfiring out the left exhaust. After about 15 minutes it smoothed up some. 20 minutes later I finally reved it up a bit crap came out the exhaust and it settled down and runs smooth as silk.

On the plus side everything worked but the radio. ;)
It's going to need brake work rears are not working at all. Did drive it around the farm some.

The Caprice on the other hand Gave it fresh gas, a squirt in the carb, and it would start run for a few seconds and quit. Fussed with it all day saturday. This morning I walked past it on my way to get a tractor, Out of the corner of my eye I notice something amiss. Seems when we unloaded it the exhaust pipe got in the mud and plugged it up. :rolleyes:

Cleaned it out hit the gas twice and cranked. Fired right up. :D It runs like swiss watch.

John Schreiber
12-11-2006, 1:39 PM
Now I know who's got all my luck.

I'll bet you could sell that Caprice for a pretty penny. I see highly customized ones around here pretty often.

Art Mulder
12-11-2006, 4:00 PM
Well the suburban ... settled down and runs smooth as silk.
The Caprice on the other hand ... Cleaned it out hit the gas twice and cranked. Fired right up. :D It runs like swiss watch.

Robert,

You've certainly earned the jealous "You Suck!" label here at SMC.

Way to score some cheap transportation! Now, just wait until your wife realizes that what you just saved in car payments should nicely cover that Caribbean cruise that she's been wanting... ;)

Robert Mickley
12-11-2006, 6:00 PM
Robert,

You've certainly earned the jealous "You Suck!" label here at SMC.

Way to score some cheap transportation! Now, just wait until your wife realizes that what you just saved in car payments should nicely cover that Caribbean cruise that she's been wanting... ;)

Ahhh but heres the nice part, things like that don't intrest her :D

I do manage to find some cheap rides. Some of them aren't so pretty. The Astro van she is driving now we bought 3 years ago for $300
I had to put rear brakes on it when we got it and two tires. Had it three days and took it to Va to my sisters. To date it has had a water pump and thermostat. Fuel pump and tank And I just put front brakes on it and 4 new tires. The tires will fit the caprice :D Going tomorrow to get plates should be driving it by afternoon

And yes I do Suck, I'm not going to tell you about the pickup I'm going to look at tomorrow

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2006, 6:03 PM
Robert............I've never seen anyone work so hard to prove that their wife was right!..........And she is .......You're cheap! But it leaves more money for toys...er.....tools......oops....:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Robert Mickley
12-11-2006, 7:29 PM
Awww shucks Ken,,your making me blush :o

Chris Barton
12-11-2006, 9:15 PM
Your wife calls you cheap? That's not even near what my wife calls me sometimes:D . Nice gloat!

John Hart
12-12-2006, 6:09 AM
.....20 minutes later I finally reved it up a bit crap came out the exhaust and it settled down and runs smooth as silk.....

It just needed to cough up a hairball.;) :)