PDA

View Full Version : Yellowheart Bowl

Robert McGowen
12-06-2006, 3:24 PM
I was reading threads about turning yellowheart wood and having never turned any, I was FORCED to obtain a piece and try it out.

Simple bowl, already stolen by the wife. It started out as an 8" x 8" x 2" square.

The last picture is for size comparison. It should easily hold a half gallon. :)

Mark Pruitt
12-06-2006, 3:54 PM
I'll take credit for helping "force" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46707) you to turn that! Nice job. What finish did you use other than ice cream?:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2006, 5:54 PM
The addition of the ice cream will make this bowl a hit with Andy. Now if there was just a container of Moxi near by...........

Nice bowl Robert! What did you think of turning yellowheart. I have limited experience but the stuff I've turned with it turned well!

David Fried
12-06-2006, 6:11 PM
Nice bowl, simple clean lines, I like it! (Can you tell?)

Andy is definately a goner.:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2006, 6:19 PM
Yep Andy will be a goner for sure. Nice bowl, simple lines. Great work.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-06-2006, 6:46 PM
Robert, now ya gone and done it!!!:eek: Ya gave away our best kept ice cream secret and now we'll never hear the end from Andy...wait maybe we're still safe. I'm sure he's never tasted it; so he can continue to think that artificial stuff they eat in the north east is ice cream. What he never tasts won't tempt him!:D By the way, great bowl!

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2006, 7:14 PM
I'm feeling elevated with notion towards high.

Robert McGowen
12-06-2006, 8:16 PM
Finish is just Danish oil at this point, wipe on poly in the future. It probably never will really see ice cream. :(

As Christopher alluded to, Blue Bell is THE ice cream in Texas. I had some today as a matter of fact - since it was in the mid 70's today - you know, it's winter in Texas ........... :)

Pat Doble
12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Nice bowl, I like the bottom detail. I may have to track down a piece of yellowheart and give it a try...

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Nice bowl! I like the bottom detail but noticed you forgot to sign your work!

John Hart
12-07-2006, 6:11 AM
Finish is just Danish oil at this point, wipe on poly in the future. It probably never will really see ice cream. :(..

Spray lacquer will help it hold ice cream.:) Otherwise...you're just teasing Andy. I don't know how he'll react..... Perhaps violently.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-07-2006, 9:32 AM
Finish is just Danish oil at this point, wipe on poly in the future. It probably never will really see ice cream. :(

As Christopher alluded to, Blue Bell is THE ice cream in Texas. I had some today as a matter of fact - since it was in the mid 70's today - you know, it's winter in Texas ........... :)That's what I like a Texas Boy who's not afraid to rub it in...:)

Jack Riley
12-07-2006, 9:57 AM
Nice bowl indeed! I particularly like your choice real ice cream. One of my long term goals is to make sure that I have tasted every flavor of Blue Bell Ice Cream. I don't think I've missed any to date. Your bowl is just the right size for my aforementioned responsibility.

Mark Pruitt
12-07-2006, 10:21 AM
One of my long term goals is to make sure that I have tasted every flavor of Blue Bell Ice Cream.
Do they still make the Tin Roof? I miss that stuff....wish we had it here.

Mark Cothren
12-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Nice bowl, Robert! Is that VANILLA????? :D