PDA

View Full Version : Meet Local Woodworkers?

Mark Vaughn
12-06-2006, 3:20 PM
Does anyone know of any way to meet local woodworkers? It seems that most of us are kind of reclusive so its kinda hard to find others. thanks
I'm in Memphis

Bob Childress
12-06-2006, 3:48 PM
Mark,

You have a few options:

1. Look to see if you have a woodworking guild or club in your area (bet you do, we even have one in Greenville). Go to Woodcraft or a similar place (NOT the BORG) and ask the employees, they will likely know.

2. Take a woodworking class at your local community college. You'll meet other woodworkers there.

3. Walk around with your Sawmill Creek cap on until someone taps you on the shoulder and says "Are you a Creeker too"? :)

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Joe Meazle
12-06-2006, 3:55 PM
I used to live in Midtown. Seems every one is goig to make it by Colco sometime. They used to have classes out at the Woodworking Shop at Wolfchase.

There are a few creekers from the Memphis area too.

Barry Johnson
12-06-2006, 3:59 PM
In Caglary, we have a couple of great clubs, SAWS (Southern Alberta Woodworking Society) and a woodturners group called
CALGARY WOODTURNERS GUILD. The woodturner's group is affilated with the Amercian Association of Woodturners. If you go to their website you may find a local chapter. Also try asking at some of the local equipment and wood supplies as they might know a local club. Our clubs in Calgary have some very very talented woodworkers and turners who are willing toshare their experience. A great place for novice and professinal to meet. Good luck.

George Summers
12-06-2006, 5:01 PM
This store shows a WW Cloub meeting the second Saturday of the month at 9:30AM

http://www.thewoodworkshopinc.com/

George

Dave Falkenstein
12-06-2006, 5:15 PM
I started building an email list several years ago from local woodworking friends and people I met through forums like this one. Once or twice a year I send out an email and we get together over lunch. We always meet before the Woodworking Show and then head to the Show. I now have close to 50 people on my list, and we typically get 6 to 12 people at a "meeting". Everything is totally informal - no club, no dues - just friends getting together to lie and brag. A couple of small splinter groups have formed and those meet whenever they make their own arrangements. Works for us.

Randal Stevenson
12-07-2006, 12:13 AM
A couple of small splinter groups have formed and those meet whenever they make their own arrangements. Works for us.

Cute pun, where's the tweezers?

How about a bulliten board where you buy your lumber?

Chris Barton
12-07-2006, 5:16 AM
Hi Mark,

You'er down around the delta but, here is a link to a list of local woodworker clubs in the middle TN area:

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=552&nav=clubs

Larry Crim
12-07-2006, 9:24 AM
Mark I'm in memphis and not sure but there use to be a WW club but I think it went by the wayside, I have met alot at the WW store near wolfchase during the classes they have, PM me and we can get together sometime if you want, Gregg Hariston is also on the forum and from the memphis area.
Larry

John Bailey
12-07-2006, 9:33 AM
In Caglary, we have a couple of great clubs, SAWS (Southern Alberta Woodworking Society) and a woodturners group called
CALGARY WOODTURNERS GUILD. The woodturner's group is affilated with the Amercian Association of Woodturners. If you go to their website you may find a local chapter. Also try asking at some of the local equipment and wood supplies as they might know a local club. Our clubs in Calgary have some very very talented woodworkers and turners who are willing toshare their experience. A great place for novice and professinal to meet. Good luck.

Hey Barry, have a heart with us old guys, with eyes to match.;)

Tyler Howell
12-07-2006, 9:44 AM
I threw a party for a bunch of creekers. We met after the WW show in Minneapolis. Good turn out great bunch of guys.
Also signed up as a mentor. (My specialty is shopping and gloating:p ).
Had a steady string of creekers stop bye, always leaving some great ideas behind.

Scott Banbury
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Mark,

I'm in Memphis and would love to have you over to my shop sometime.
PM me if you need my number.

Scott

Dave Anderson NH
12-09-2006, 7:54 PM
Everyone here has offered some good suggestions for you. If you have the ambition, or can get together with a couple of friends who also have serious woodworking interests, see if you can start a club or guild.

Here in NH where folks are often spread out geographically, a group of about 2 dozen such folks got together on a Saturday 16 years ago and decided to form a guild of woodworkers both professional and amateur. The first newsletter was black and white on both sides of a single sheet of paper and the meetings were held in members home shops. Over the intervening years the group and the newsletter grew. The Guild of NH Woodworkers is now 500 strong, publishes a 32 page full color newsletter 5 times per year, and between the regular meetings and the 4 special interest sub-groups meets almost 30 times per year. We have over 20 local and national suppliers who grant our members discounts ranging from 10% to 40% on everything from books to tools to wood.

The point I'm making is that you can start small and see what develops. Being a super dooper woodworker and an expert isn't necessary to start a club. All it requires is some time. desire, and organizing.

Jack Dickey
12-09-2006, 9:39 PM
Most of us are kind of reclusive ??

HHMM , I'm not , wife says when I speak the dawg barks cause he dont know who it is ..

Most of us are kind of reclusive ??

Well I'm in my own little world , but , they know me here ..

Dave thats a great idea , of forming your own guild ..

Mike Leigh
12-12-2006, 7:29 PM
I tell what, I'm one newbie to woodworking that sure would like to find some local guys to share their knowledge, idea's and beer with, hopefully in the west Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Oregon area.
I've been going alone on doing some primitive woodworking, shelves, small boxes, a few bookcases and etc., but am at a complete loss with everything else. Living in an apartment with only the patio and closet shed to work with doesn't help much either. I'm not complaining, just frustrated.
My trouble is, that I'm NOT a talker, am loner mostly, so even when I go to HD, or Lowe's, or Rockler's, I'm still too shy to ask questions.
There seems to be a woodworking college?, school? or something on the east side of Ptd., but I haven't gotten to the point yet in woodworking that I would probably understand what was being taught, or do I have the extra money to spend on such a class (my wife would kill me! $$$ LOL).
Our local junior college does offer adult ed woodworking classes, but haven't gotten around to getting over there.
Well, anyway, that's my two-cents worth...
thxs for reading my ravings.

Steve Rowe
12-12-2006, 9:24 PM
Mark - a good starting point for your area would be:
http://www.midsouthwoodturners.com/
This is an AAW chapter and likely has many woodworkers who are also interested in woodturning.
Steve

Robert Mickley
12-12-2006, 11:19 PM
If your like me , I got creekers to the left of me and creekers tot the right of me, some north of me. I've met a few so far and all have been great