PDA

View Full Version : Thimble Holders

Doug Collins
12-06-2006, 1:48 PM
Thought I'd share a neat idea that I got from my mother. She purchased a similar item on a recent trip to England. I copied the original fairly closely, then just started turning them out of whatever I had handy. With the exception of the purpleheart, the others are just from wood out of my neighbors woodpile.

The center is drilled out to hold spare sewing needles. I'm going to give them to all the girls in the family at Christmas, but they're kind of fun to just practice on.

I turned them on my Turncrafter Midi lathe and finished them with just some shellac and carnauba wax. Probably not a real durable finish, but it's quick and easy to touch up.

Hopefully I got the attachments posted ok.

Jonathon Spafford
12-06-2006, 4:14 PM
Those are really beautiful and unique! Great job!!! That is a really super idea... so did you buy the thimbles or are you going to turn those too??? I am quite sure the recipients will love those!

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2006, 4:23 PM
Doug

What a unique idea! Very nice work! I am sure everyone will be thrilled to get these as gifts!

Tom Sherman
12-06-2006, 6:35 PM
Avery unique idea, and very handy I might add.

Pat Doble
12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Cool idea and great execution on them.

Nice job.

John Hart
12-07-2006, 6:04 AM
Oh..How cool!!

Around here, there are thousands of Amish women who would love a gift like that. You just solved my dilemma of little gifts that we can give for the constant onslaught of thoughtfulness by our neighbors.

Nicely done Doug!!:)

John Timberlake
12-07-2006, 1:39 PM
Cool new idea. Never seen anything like it and you did a great job with the turning and finishing.