PDA

View Full Version : I Done It Now...AND... Good

Kurt Aebi
11-06-2003, 5:14 PM
I've had my first and hopefully LAST table saw accident 2 weeks ago tomorrow. It was (as most accidents are) just plain stupidity and a short lapse of concentration. I was ripping 8 ft. 2 x 6's to use as supports for bush covers for in front of the house. I was in the shop alone as usual (I get home from work about 1 to 1-1/2 hours before the wife) and was observing the proper safety around the saw. (except that I had removed the guard a couple of days earlier - and was too lazy to put it back on just for these 9 boards!) I was using a featherboard, push-stick, outfeed table and turned the saw off after each cut before moving the ripped pieces. That was, at least, until the last board (a 2 x 8) that was going to need to go through again to make it the same as all the others. Here is where the stupidity comes in. I used the push-stick to clear out the keeper of the ripped board and without shutting off the saw reached for the part of the board that needed ripping again --- and you guessed it! Came into contact with the blade, splitting my thumb from the tip to the first knuckle sideways between the nail and "pad". At the hospital they asked me "on a scale of 1 to 10, could yourate the pain?" I said it was an 8 and on the "PO'd" scale I was at least a 12. (I know better than that - STUPID).
Anyway, they were able to sew it back together and it looks as though it is going to heal on the outside at least. There is joint & nerve damage, but at least I will be able to keep and use my thumb. I will not be out tinkering around the shop for a few more weeks, so this forum will have to do as far as occupying my free time between work and supper.
I have had my workshop for 18 years and have built our kitchen cabinets, numerous furniture items, a bunch of christmas gifts - and my wife loves to scroll cut crafty projects and I always stress safety before speed to her and make sure that I don't work when I am tired. The worst accidents I have had in all those years is splinters, cuts on chisels, cutting myself changing the saw blade, pinching my finger while adjusting the rip fence and just about any little band-aid fixable abrasion you could have. I am so ripped at myself over this, but what are you gonna do?

I hope this post will help some other woodworkers realize that no matter how accomplished you are with this hobby, accidents can and will happen, but Please, Please, Use your guards - or get useable guards and use them. I could just as easily had one of those boards kick back and smack me in the noggin as well. Please be careful out there! I know I will be extra cautious from now on.

Take care & good woodworking,
Kurt

Ken Garlock
11-06-2003, 5:44 PM
I am glad that it was not worse than it already is. Just reading your post made me cringe. :( One thing that is true, these power tools are equal opportunity cutters, they don't care if it is you or wood. Do heal quickly :)

Dennis Peacock
11-06-2003, 6:02 PM
Kurt,

Glad to here that it is NOT as bad as it could have been. TS accidents do occur when we get lazy or just too relaxed around each of the machines we are operating. Shoot....I have even been hurt just from working on the drill press...!!!!

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery..!!!!!

Dan Bussiere
11-07-2003, 1:15 PM
Kurt,
Glad to hear you will heal fairly well. I guess we all think to some degree that it won't ever happen to us. Right before you contacted the blade, you probably couldn't have been convinced that you would either. Just goes to show that even though we make every effort to remain safe and intact, we can always goof up, lose our focus for just an instant, and do the unthinkable. When we think we've heard enough about safety, someone like yourself comes along and reminds us that we all need at least one more briefing. Hope all heals well and thanks for the reminder.
Dan

Ted Shrader
11-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Kurt -

Very sorry to hear of your accident. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. No need to feel stupid - it can happen to anyone. As you point out in your post, there is never a need to be in a hurry.

We can all learn a lesson from this one.

Get well soon,
Ted

Kurt Aebi
11-10-2003, 1:22 PM
Ken, Dennis, Dan & Ted

Thanks for your thoughts, it's been 3 weeks and the stitches are out and the pin comes out next thursday. I felt good enough this weekend to go out and finish the bush covers I was working on when the accident occurred. It really felt good to be back working with my equipment. It was too cold here (Vermont) this weekend to stain them though. My next project will be an overarm blade guard/cover for that blasted table saw. I'm sure I will feel more comfortable with that style of guard than the factory guard.

Thanks again for the well wishes and Happy Woodworking to all!

Kurt