PDA

View Full Version : Hi all!

Dave Laukkonen
12-06-2006, 1:57 AM
So being this is my first post and all, I wanted to say hi and also get some advice. I'm pretty new to woodworking and I am wondering what my next purchase should be.

I'm debating between a scrollsaw and a bandsaw. I think I'm leaning a little more towards a scrollsaw but I wanted to hear some opinions of more experienced woodworkers. As it is right now, I make mostly small boxes (keepsake, jewelry, urns, etc.) and occassionally furniture (mostly bookshelves and chests) I'm thinking scrollsaw because of the small boxes and I thought it would be easier to work them. I'm not sure what kind of detail I could get out of a bandsaw on such a small scale. Recomendations of specific models would be helpful too. (my budget is around $300(preferably less)) I know I won't have many decent options within my budget but I hope to find something! Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2006, 2:22 AM
Dave.......Welcome to the Creek!.......Don't do scroll saw stuff so I can't help you but I'm sure other members will!

Mike Null
12-06-2006, 6:22 AM
I believe I'd go with a bandsaw. Simply because it's a much more versatile saw. For fine work you can use an 1/8" blade. It won't match a scroll saw for detail but that can be done with a fret saw.

Given the budget I'd look for a used one of about 14" with two wheels instead of three.

John Timberlake
12-06-2006, 7:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek. You'll find lots of good information here.

Only you can really answer the bandsaw vs scrollsaw question. All depends on the type of work you want to do. A bandsaw will do a lot that scroll won't do like resaw, cut blanks for turning bowls, cutting curves in large furniture pieces. The scroll saw is really for fine detail work and will do inside cuts that are surrounded by wood. If you decide on the scroll saw, the DeWalt is probably the best value for the money - easy to use and change blades and big enough for most projects.

Mitchell Andrus
12-06-2006, 8:18 AM
Bandsaw, a good one. I buy tools I'll grow into, not out of.

Lou Morrissette
12-06-2006, 8:31 AM
Dave,
Welcome to the Creek. I think I agree that a bandsaw would give you more bang for the buck. I do intarsia which involves some pretty tight inside radii and intricate cuts with a 1/8" blade on my 14" band saw. The versatility offered by a bandsaw will get you further along in woodworking.
As for a scroll saw, I also agree that the Dewalt is probably the best in a moderate price range. Good luck.

Lou

Glen Blanchard
12-06-2006, 8:34 AM
Welcome. You'll find great folks with tons of experience here.

I, like you, make mostly small stuff - boxes mainly. I own 2 bandsaws (one for resawing and one with a small blade) and no scroll saw. While you certainly don't need 2 bandsaws, I would say that you will find much more use with a bandsaw than a scroll saw.

Bob Reda
12-06-2006, 9:01 AM
Dave,
Welcome, I vote bandsaw

glenn bradley
12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
I have a scrollsaw that hasn't been plugged in for 2 years. There are definitly delicate tasks the scrollsaw will do that a bandsaw never will (through hole work). As others have stated, think about what you want to do. If you're going towards inlays and scrollwork with delicate detail, a bandsaw is overkill. However, the scrollsaw will never do what a bandsaw can do in the broader scheme. Scrollsaws are pretty task specific (think plate joiner; they do what they do). There are several nice scrollsaws in the price range you speak of.

I did a search on "scroll saw review" and found several like this that may help:
http://www.scrollsawer.com/articles/dremel-scroll-saw-review.php

David Duke
12-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to add my welcome. As far as the band saw vs scroll saw, as has been stated above only you can answer that question but since you asked................I believe that the band saw would be the best choice simply for its versatility, while you can't do through work with the right blade you can do very detailed scrolling with the BS.

Steve Kohn
12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I have a resaw bandsaw (19 inch), a detail bandsaw (10 inch), and a DeWalt scroll saw. I build everything from small boxes to large cabinets. Some would argue that I don't do well at any of the above.

I use all 3 saws. Small boxes I resaw wood to minimize waste. I do general shaping on the small bandsaw and really fine detail on the scroll saw.

If I only could get one tool it would be a good quality 14 inch bandsaw and a large collection of good blades. Blades are another subject of considerable discussion.

Dave Laukkonen
12-08-2006, 10:24 PM
well it sounds like I should go bs over a scroll then. I do smaller detail but from what it sounds like a bs should meet my needs for that area. I haven't done to much in terms of working the inner parts where a scroll would be a necessity. So how about suggestions for a good bs in the same price range? I appreciate all the replies.

John Bailey
12-09-2006, 12:50 AM
If you decide to go the bandsaw route, which I would suggest, do yourself a favour and call Iturra Design at 888-722-7078 and get their catalogue. It reads like a text on bandsaws. They recommend buying an old Delta, the older the better. That's what I did and I'm very satisfied. There are many used 14" bandsaws on the market in that price range. Delta's, Jet's, Rigid and many others. You'll get good advice here.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

By the way, welcome to the Creek.

John

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 1:13 AM
Dave,

First of all Welcome to SMC!!!!! Glad to have ya aboard.

You've already gotten lots of advice here so I won't add anything more. I used to have a scrollsaw, but I wound up using a bandsaw MUCH more than I ever did a scrollsaw. I'll get another scrollsaw....one day.:D

Kurt Forbes
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
if you are going to add any detail to your small boxes you need a scroll saw ( inlays scrolled designs inistaria ) if you are just cutting the small parts get a band saw it is more versitile in the long run. They are 2 totally different machines for 2 totally different uses.
More information would help a bit really.

I have both I use the bandsaw for almost everything I do. i rarely ever use the scroll saw.
I just cut out some christmas ornaments for my 7 year old daughter to paint the scroll saw was the way to go.
Unless you want to neander it then just a few good handsaws will fill the bill. :)
I* have girzzleys ultimate 14" bandsaw and highly recommend it.
If you are going smaller and i am shure there will be some disagreement over this but I like the 10" delta BS it seemed pretty well built. I am thinking of buting one this weekend for my step father.

Jim Becker
12-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Dave!

Brett Baldwin
12-09-2006, 9:22 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dave.

A used Delta/Rockwell is probably your best money spent as long as it is in decent shape. The parts for even decades old ones are still available and the older ones tend to be better built so don't worry too much about age.
The local classifieds and craigslist are great things to watch for these bargains but also ask around. The "I know a guy" system works pretty well. Patience will be your best ally in finding a good one. Good luck in your hunt.

Dave Laukkonen
12-11-2006, 9:07 PM
I may have an old delta waiting for me at my grandpa's shop that he is no longer physically able to use. I have to check for sure, but I think I would be his first choice as a hand-me-down. If not I did find a jet 14" locally for $399 on sale, but it was pretty bare bones. Also, is there a particular reason I should be getting a 14" over a smaller size? I don't really plan on doing much inlay(not too intricate at least) so I think I will end up with a bs either way. Does anyone here have any links to any pages/articles about resawing? Thanks again, everyone has been very helpful!

Dave Laukkonen
12-24-2006, 7:45 PM
So it turns our my grandpa's is an old craftsman and I think he'll be donating it to me soon. I also just got a dremel 1800 scroll saw for Christmas! Looks like I got the best of both worlds (well not the best, but you know what I mean). Initial impression of the dremel is that it is very well built with some nice options added on. I can't wait to fire it up!