PDA

View Full Version : A big Oops

Todd Solomon
12-06-2006, 1:55 AM
I was pleased with how accurately I had cut my hinge mortises, when to my horror, I realized I cut them on the wrong surface. Uh oh. The mortises were supposed to be cut on the edge of the door, but I cut them in the inside face of the stile.

What would you do? A couple of options:
1. Route a rabbet the entire length of the door, then install a strip of walnut, hoping that it'll blend in. Luckily, this is the inside surface of the door, not as noticeable as the outside.
2. Bust the door apart. Salvage the crotch walnut panel, and make a new frame from scratch. The bummer is that I don't have any more wood from this tree, so it probably wouldn't match very well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've got a lot of hours in this spice cabinet, it's nearly complete, and I'm hoping to come up with a quality solution.

Todd

Greg Funk
12-06-2006, 3:21 AM
I think I would just patch the local are rather than running a strip all the way down the door. If you rout a strip all the way you will be more likely to notice the patch looking down at the top of the door. A local patch would only be seen if you opened the door more than 90 degrees.

Greg

Alan Turner
12-06-2006, 6:07 AM
I'm with Greg on this, but mainly weighed in just to note that the wood you have used is exceptional!

Byron Trantham
12-06-2006, 6:57 AM
Don't you hate it when you do that!?:D I'm with the guys on this one. I would fill the mortise.

Steve Wargo
12-06-2006, 7:36 AM
Another reason for patching the surface of error and not the whole strip is, to eliminate the chance of causing dischord in the top and bottom edges of the door. If the door was inset, it may be a better option, but with it being overlaid, I'd just patch the areas of mistake. I've done that before too, but usually I drill the hole for Euro hinges on the wrong surface. That really sucks.

Don Bullock
12-06-2006, 7:58 AM
First, hat's a nice looking cabinet with excellent wood.

Second, I'd go with the small patch as well. Perhaps you could make it look like you planned it that way.

I just hate when I do things like that, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment of a beautiful job.

Mitchell Andrus
12-06-2006, 8:16 AM
If you can't hide it, decorate it. Cut patches that are ornamental in nature, a little hand carving may be in order here. They'll be seen as a little surprise on the inside of the cabinet.

Jim Becker
12-06-2006, 9:16 AM
I agree with Mr. Wargo. Fix the error since it's on the inside, but localize it to avoid issues with the "view" of the top of the door when it is visible.

Paul Canaris
12-06-2006, 9:28 AM
If you can't hide it, decorate it. Cut patches that are ornamental in nature, a little hand carving may be in order here. They'll be seen as a little surprise on the inside of the cabinet.

I agree with Mitchell. Some of my most interesting work has resulted from a desperate need to hide mistakes; I am a proponent of the "hide mistakes in full view" approach.

David Epperson
12-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Another reason for patching the surface of error and not the whole strip is, to eliminate the chance of causing dischord in the top and bottom edges of the door. If the door was inset, it may be a better option, but with it being overlaid, I'd just patch the areas of mistake. I've done that before too, but usually I drill the hole for Euro hinges on the wrong surface. That really sucks.

Might just be me. I'm new to the whole wood working thing, but it looks like the door was to be inset and the mismounted hinge placement forces it to look overlaid. But I probably didn't understand correctly. If it were mine I'd probably cut the same profile all the way around the inside of the door and remount the hinges as originally intended. The "mistake" would then be hidden in the new "detail".

Neil Lamens
12-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Todd-

First off welcome to the club, I believe this is where we really improve our skills.

I can't remember the names but 2 people mention decoration. Also I'm looking at this as being inset not overlay.

Some how you've got to arrive at "shibui".

How about rabetting all the way around the outside of the door interior and inlay a piece of mahogany, a real rich piece of walnut, maybe contrast with some tiger maple I saw in a clock posted today. Let's not think to disguise it, lets figure out how to make it a part of your work, after all the OOPS already is a part of your work.

After you've laid in the outside edge frame, maybe on the inside glue line, drop in an 1/8th inch inlay banding mitred at the corners.

When somebody opens up the door, another emotion will be fealt from your piece.

Maybe that will kick us in another direction.

Todd let us see what you decided on down the road. Thanks for posting.

Eric Mims
12-06-2006, 11:22 AM
If it were me I'd probably just cut some solid brass and epoxy it on the 2 spots. Say it's a new type of sandwich hinge connector.

Greg Funk
12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Think of this as an opportunity to improve your inlay skills....

Further to my previous comment I would make the patches triangular. You could make a couple of simple router guides to cut the door and the patch. I think an angled piece blends in a little better than a butt joint. A couple of maple insets might look quite nice.

Greg

Ted Miller
12-06-2006, 1:30 PM
Todd, If this is the only cabinet then I would go for the inlay, hell you may do it and like it so much it will be your trade mark from now on...

Larry Browning
12-06-2006, 1:50 PM
Todd,
No matter what you do to fix the door, you will always know what happened. And if you are anything like me, when you are showing your masterpiece to a visitor you will explain to them what you did. If you have a creative fix for this, like the several things that have already been suggested, it will actually add to the quality of craftsmanship you have achieved with it and make the piece even more special to you and whomever gets to use it. So, I say celebrate this mistake, but also learn from it so that this door will always be a one of a kind.

Neil Lamens
12-06-2006, 3:22 PM
Todd,
No matter what you do to fix the door, you will always know what happened. And if you are anything like me, when you are showing your masterpiece to a visitor you will explain to them what you did. If you have a creative fix for this, like the several things that have already been suggested, it will actually add to the quality of craftsmanship you have achieved with it and make the piece even more special to you and whomever gets to use it. So, I say celebrate this mistake, but also learn from it so that this door will always be a one of a kind.

Hi Larry:

Nicely stated!!!......and you brought it home by making Todds project a one-of-a-kind.

Kings to you Larry...(from the Count of Monte Cristo)

Neil

Roger Myers
12-06-2006, 3:58 PM
Todd,
I think that the approach outlined by Neil would be the most suitable... inlay a band all around all of the inside. A secondary inlay like he describes would serve to dress it up, and I think that this when completed would look like it belongs.

Todd Solomon
12-06-2006, 4:49 PM
All I can say is wow. What a great group- Lots of words of encouragement and creative solutions.

I really like the idea of the band inlay, that will go all the way around the perimeter. I've got to think about what would go with the piece, and not distract too much from the 18th century roots, or the crotch figure in the panel. Maybe a simple wenge band? A friend of mine did a kitchen in koa, and used wenge accents.

So I've got some thinking to do. Again, thanks! I sure am glad that I decided to join this group.

Todd

Jerry Olexa
12-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Beautiful wood!!

Joe Foggia
12-06-2006, 11:41 PM
If the door stock is thick enough you can carefully join around the whole door frame removing the thickness of the mortise. That should save the door. Otherwise I would build a new door. Good Luck. Don't beat yourself up on this one. We all have been there. Joe

Todd Solomon
12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
If the door stock is thick enough you can carefully join around the whole door frame removing the thickness of the mortise. That should save the door. Otherwise I would build a new door. Good Luck. Don't beat yourself up on this one. We all have been there. Joe

Thanks for the idea, Joe. I was thinking about that too, or possibly route a shape on it. I also have the 6 drilled holes, which I could try to fill.

After a little initial panic, I'm not too worried about it. I think I can salvage it. If the inlay solution doesn't look good enough, I'll just build a new door.

Happy Holidays.

Todd