PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Maple and Walnut Mantle Clock

Don Fuss
12-05-2006, 9:53 PM
This is my first time venturing out of the turning forum. I'm one of those spinny guys who never gets anything done unless it's on the lathe, so I incorporated a little bit of turning on this one. I plan to make some Christmas gifts out of these, and now that I know how to easily do split turnings I can do more ornamental columns on the next ones.

Thanks for looking!

Jim Becker
12-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Don, I really like the "spin" you put on this project! That's a really nice clock!! The tiger maple was perfect for the face.

chip hamblin
12-05-2006, 11:55 PM
One word:

Delightful!

Lars Thomas
12-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Don, what is your method of splitting the columns? I've had mixed success with brown paper. Oh, great looking clock. Lars

Don Fuss
12-06-2006, 6:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

Don, what is your method of splitting the columns? I've had mixed success with brown paper. Oh, great looking clock. Lars
Lars: I used the brown paper method. I did not let the glue fully cure, however. I clamped the pieces for about a half hour, turned it carefully, and it split very easily with one whack of a chisel. For larger pieces I would worry about it flying apart but with a small diameter piece like this one was, I just turned it at a slow speed and was very careful to avoid catches.

Don

John Timberlake
12-06-2006, 7:50 AM
Great looking piece. Will make a nice gift.

Don't worry about letting the glue cure completely. I have done split turning for quarter columns and let the cure for a week before turning and splitting. Came right apart with a little coaxing with a chisel in one end. Then just cleaned up with a scraper and a hand plane.

Neil Lamens
12-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey Don........you should venture out more often. The maple, the brass bezel, the face.....really nice. Somebody gets a nice gift.

David Duke
12-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Really nice work Don, that maple is eye catching.

(Watch out guys, I think this is a thinly disguised attempt by the spinny guys to get us into the Vortex!! :eek: :) :) :) )

Don Fuss
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys!

Really nice work Don, that maple is eye catching.

(Watch out guys, I think this is a thinly disguised attempt by the spinny guys to get us into the Vortex!! :eek: :) :) :) )
Uhhh....no...of course not. That's ... absurd ... :shifty eyes:

Nancy Laird
12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
One word:

Delightful!

No Chip, several words....Beautiful, gorgeous, well-done...all of these come to mind.

I think this ought to go into the auction!!:o I'd love to have it.

Nancy

Don Fuss
12-06-2006, 6:39 PM
Great looking piece. Will make a nice gift.

Don't worry about letting the glue cure completely. I have done split turning for quarter columns and let the cure for a week before turning and splitting. Came right apart with a little coaxing with a chisel in one end. Then just cleaned up with a scraper and a hand plane.

John - that's good to know. I was a little nervous turning that column with the glue still curing. Next time I'll let it cure fully if it's just as easy to split dry. Thanks!

Tom Pritchard
12-06-2006, 6:41 PM
Don, great job! I always like the look of maple and walnut together, and you have done a great job designing a clock that shows them off!

Don Bullock
12-06-2006, 7:16 PM
Beautiful use of some nice wood in an excellent design.. The contrast of the wood is super.

Paul Kinneberg
12-06-2006, 8:00 PM
Very nice Don!!

Peter Stahl
12-07-2006, 7:34 AM
Looks good Don!

Mark Valsi
12-07-2006, 9:12 AM
Nice choice of woods.

However, I think that under the clock face, there should be something !

an inlay design, or a brass commemorative placque or something. Seems a bit too much open space.

I love that maple !