PDA

View Full Version : Maxi update and 5th grade presents

Pete Jordan
12-05-2006, 8:47 PM
I talked to Trevor at General today and he said that the parts for the Maxi have been ordered and he will ship them when he gets them. (Nice fella)
Apparently he will be sending me a new computer board to replace the one that stops and displays the work "safe". I will post when the repair has been made. I still like the machine and when it stops I figure it is time for a break.
I know, I know. I shouldn't have bought a machine the first year it came out. I'm just a sucker for a pretty face.

The tops are presents for my 5th graders that I teach. I am trying to do a few a day and I give them out as reward/Christmas presents to the kids trying their best. I am not spending much time on finishing since they will hit the floor a hundred times before they go home. The kids do seem to really like them though.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Pete - I wish you luck on your lathe! The tops look pretty good and sound like they are a hit with the kids - whatever you can do to motivate them!

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Pete glad to hear you are getting the lathe fixed. Top look great. My C-man has been working great since Palmgren sent me the new head. At least this one had a model and serial number which the other one didn't.:eek: :mad:

John Hart
12-06-2006, 6:17 AM
Cool Tops Pete! I gotta make some of those.:)

Gary DeWitt
12-06-2006, 11:17 AM
You must have the patience of Job, to teach 5th grade! Rewarding though, I'm sure.

The tops make a quick and fun gift, "unique" since they have fallen out of popularity. There are two other styles you might want to try, the one with the separate handle and string, which will spin for nearly forever, and the "Duncan" style with only the separate string to spin it. These take a little practice, but I'm sure your students are up to it.
Our turning club has a yearly competition to see who can make the best looking, and longest spinning in each of the first two categories.
Fun for the holidays!