PDA

View Full Version : Problems with sandstone (OK, so it's not wood)

Alfred Clem
12-05-2006, 8:08 PM
The entry way to our home is sandstone -- large, flat, fairly smooth, laid edge to edge with a little cement grout. OK, so it's not wood -- but I figure some experts lurk out there who know what I should use to seal and preserve this stone. I just want something to preserve the color and delay erosion, sandstone being a fairly soft material. After 20 years in the Arizona sun and heat, the stone is beginning to show its age. There has been a little spalling (flaking), but few cracks can be seen. Thanks for any and all advice.

John Hemenway
12-06-2006, 8:56 AM
Alfred, you might not get much traffic here in the finishing area. You might repost in the Off Topic forum.

I'm lacking any knowledge of sealing SS. I'd suggest you contact local stone companies.

And finaly, you got any pictures of this supposed stone? :)

Owen Gregg
12-06-2006, 8:25 PM
Hi Alfred,

I work full time in a stone fabrication/tile shop. I would recommend contacting a local stone shop as well and seeing what kinds of sealers or impregnating sealers they have. From what you describe, especially the "flaky" part, makes me think it might actually be slate.. Identification of the tile will help immensely with the sealer, as there are many for the different types of stone, e.g. soapstone, granite, travertine, marble, slate, etc. Many types of stone will lighten in color over the years when exposed to sunlight, lots of that lightening can often be taken care of with a good impregnator.

Please do not go to the local Borg as the products they carry are inferior and will cause you a lot of headache.