PDA

View Full Version : My First Snowblowing

John Hart
12-05-2006, 6:58 PM
Well...since we moved out into the snowbelt, I've been planning on getting a snowblower. With over 600 feet of driveway and a parking lot, I figured that shoveling was just out of the question. I saved my pennies since June and finally made the plunge. This is an MTD 9HP machine. I bought it last night and got it all assembled, and the weather was kind enough to provide me with a little practice snow. Did the whole thing in about 30 minutes this morning before work. I know it'll take longer with more snow....but this 4" gave me a chance to get my sealegs.:)

Carl Eyman
12-05-2006, 7:46 PM
The snow I saw there could have been handled by a broom. Wait till you get 12" with 4" falling per hour. Then see how well you like your snow blower - - or how well you like snow for that matter. Oh, I'm glad I lived in Ct WI, and MA while I was young.

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 7:47 PM
Wow John!!!! I don't think I've ever seen 4" of snow....except when I was overseas in Italy and doing my first snow skiing. And I always thought a Snow Plow was a machine to plant and grow your own snow. :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2006, 7:53 PM
Got the Deluxe model with the headlight huh!:rolleyes:

Congrats John. You'll need it for that lake effect snow. I can still remember the winter of '76-77 in Solon, Ohio. We stayed from November 15th-June 9th in the same motel just past Sea World. We drove to the factory in Solon every day. There was a period that we couldn't see the factories some 150 feet from the road for the snow piles. Those truck mounted snowplows and snowblowers sure stacked it high!

John Hart
12-05-2006, 7:59 PM
The snow I saw there could have been handled by a broom. Wait till you get 12" with 4" falling per hour. Then see how well you like your snow blower - - or how well you like snow for that matter. Oh, I'm glad I lived in Ct WI, and MA while I was young.

Yer right Carl. It wasn't much compared to what's comin'. But I never used one of these things so I had to learn how to drive it. I'm ready for the big stuff now. The weather guy says 12" tomorrow night...so Thursday morning oughta be the first real test.:)

John Hart
12-05-2006, 8:03 PM
Got the Deluxe model with the headlight huh!:rolleyes:

Congrats John. You'll need it for that lake effect snow. I can still remember the winter of '76-77 in Solon, Ohio. We stayed from November 15th-June 9th in the same motel just past Sea World. We drove to the factory in Solon every day. There was a period that we couldn't see the factories some 150 feet from the road for the snow piles. Those truck mounted snowplows and snowblowers sure stacked it high!

It's funny....I thought the headlight was kind of a goofy trinket...but then I thought....Most of the time, I'm going to be using this at night or the wee hours of the morning. Then I checked all the reviews. The biggest complaint was about the same model that didn't have the light. Major pain working in the dark I reckon.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2006, 8:07 PM
You know John...........you could probably use that for cleaning out your horse stables too!

John Hart
12-05-2006, 8:13 PM
You know John...........you could probably use that for cleaning out your horse stables too!

Good thought Ken...good thought. Especially when it snows in there!....Cuz there ain't gonna be no HORSES!!!!:p :D

Laurie Brown
12-05-2006, 8:14 PM
I used to live in Rochester, NY. Talk about lake effect snow! That's why I left and moved south. Here in Roanoke we haven't had any snow yet this year! I love it! :)

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2006, 8:16 PM
I got one of them blower things, too.

Works great on getting rid of curls after a big roughing session.

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 8:23 PM
Good thought Ken...good thought. Especially when it snows in there!....Cuz there ain't gonna be no HORSES!!!!:p :D

Boy....I know one daughter of yours ain't gonna be happy until she has a horsiee in stall #1. :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2006, 8:37 PM
Dennis........I don't she'll be happy until she hears Daddy yell.............Come on Down!.........Would you like door #1, #2 or #3 and she had to make a decision on which HORSEY she's going to ride that day......

John Hart
12-05-2006, 8:55 PM
Y'all have your fun....but I know my girls...and they would love a horse...or two...or three...IF Daddy did all the shoveling!

:rolleyes: Hmmm...now lets figure the odds of that happening. Yep...just as I thought....a big ZERO.:)

John Hart
12-05-2006, 9:12 PM
I used to live in Rochester, NY. Talk about lake effect snow! That's why I left and moved south. Here in Roanoke we haven't had any snow yet this year! I love it! :)

Laurie...I know there's a bunch of people out there that just don't like the stuff....But I ain't one of 'em.:) Winter is nearly my favorite season...and I get depressed when the snow goes away. Don't know why.

Laurie Brown
12-05-2006, 9:13 PM
Laurie...I know there's a bunch of people out there that just don't like the stuff....But I ain't one of 'em.:) Winter is nearly my favorite season...and I get depressed when the snow goes away. Don't know why.

Masochists all! :)

The nine feet of snow we had in the last month I lived there was really the last straw for me. Got in my car in the morning, scraped the ice off the windows, drove off into the snow. Arrived in Virginia at 8pm that evening, it was 72 degrees. Never looked back. :)

Ben Grunow
12-05-2006, 9:20 PM
I find that a little (just a little) Jamesons or blackberry brandy helps pass the tim eand keep the boiler hot too.

Whatever you do. Dont put your hands near the rotating parts. if something is jammed in them get some long pliers and a torch and whatever else you need but no hands as they can be somewhat spring loaded if the jam is bad enough and when it comes loose the blades will move slightly and might bite.

Be careful. You can always do it tomorrow.

Ben

John Hart
12-05-2006, 9:25 PM
Thanks Ben...This machine came with a clog removal tool that is attached. Looks like a long heavy duty miniature shovel of sorts. I hate getting my fingers caught in spinning things!:eek: Takes a lot of Jamesons to get over that!;)

Dave Anderson NH
12-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Gee John, I'm envious. We haven't had any snow here in southern NH yet this year and last year we only got about 3 feet all winter, almost a record low for us. Most years we get 8-12 feet over the course of the winter. I've lived with it all my life..Laurie, I grew up in Penfield outside Rochester and my parents now live in Fairport. Winter without snow is like woodworking without wood.:D

Robert Mickley
12-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey I recognize that guy!!, glad its you that lives in the snow belt, I can still see the grass here. but it won't last long

Tyler Howell
12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
8" up at the new place over the weekend.
Only a dusting here in the city.
It was awesome:D :D :D

Linda Tetreault
12-05-2006, 10:51 PM
John,

Make sure you put the dog toys in the house, last winter my husband found out you could throw a rubber bone about 50 feet with a snowblower, we keep the little dog in the house now when he snowblows!!:eek:

Linda

Keith Outten
12-06-2006, 5:53 AM

Laurie,

Welcome to Virginia :)

I spent two winters in Oswego NY working at Nine Mile Unit 2 in the mid 1980's and it was a real education in winter weather. With 326" average snowfall and temps that stayed at -30 degrees F Oswego was like visiting another planet.

John,

I bought me a new snowplow this year. We purchased a Kubota BX1500 tractor with a front end loader and rear blade. You know that I am so sad we probably won't see any snow at all this year in Eastern Virginia :(

Congratulations on your new snowplow!

John Hart
12-06-2006, 6:06 AM
Rochester...and Buffalo are unique. They sit right at the gauntlet of lake erie and those winds out of the west pick up all that moisture and just dump and dump and dump. I don't know how the cities stay functional. Dave...I hope you get your snow. I can't imagine New Hampshire without a white blanket in the winter.

8" up at the new place over the weekend.
Only a dusting here in the city.
It was awesome:D :D :D

Hey Tyler...I recognize that double-walled stainless steel chimney pipe coming up out of your roof. Are you burning wood or coal?

Make sure you put the dog toys in the house, last winter my husband found out you could throw a rubber bone about 50 feet with a snowblower, we keep the little dog in the house now when he snowblows!!:eek:

Sheesh! I didn't even think of that. Our dogs love tennis balls. They're everywhere. I better keep an eye out. Our new Labrador puppy thinks she's invincible and harrassed me during this trial run. I wonder how far the snowblower will throw a puppy?:eek:

Hey I recognize that guy!!, glad its you that lives in the snow belt, I can still see the grass here. but it won't last long

Hey there Mr. Mickley!!! Nice to see you too neighbor! How's the farm holding up? We'll have to get together again once I get settled.;)

Glenn Clabo
12-06-2006, 7:28 AM
I fought the snow thrower like crazy...DrLOML kept saying how many men over 40 die shoveling snow...then a good friends brother...a runner dropped dead while shoveling and she bought one for me. Ever since...she gets a big thank you smooch when it snows.
I'm also with ya John...I'll like winter...but we really don't get that much snow here (he says looking out the window).

Al Willits
12-06-2006, 8:58 AM
First snow blower we bought was fun, got to play with it for a few years before upgraditis struck and we got a bigger one.

That lasted for 5 or 6 years and life was ok, third snow blower did a fine job and each time it snowed I dutifully got out and removed the white fluffy stuff from the driveway and sidewalk.

Finally the one we have now is even bigger and better and each time it snows I get to blow the %$#@ white &*$# again and try to stack it high enough to park both vechicles and have a place for puppy to do her thing.

Then spend the next hour trying to warm up waiting for that sick *%$# who works for the city snowplowing department to drive by, and block the end of my drive way with a couple of foot of that &%#$ white #@@# stuff again....

So John, you enjoy that snowblower, but remember a few things, don't blow into the wind, also don't leave chew toys on the ground before a snow fall and make sure the garden hose got picked up this fall, that fancy snow blower will launch them into the neighbors yard...in pieces..:)

btw, plugged in extension cords make for an interesting few moments...especially if there still plugged in.

Snow...bah humbug....:D

Al

Rod Torgeson
12-06-2006, 9:51 AM
Yes I have a little bit of also. My snow removal equipment is a 4wd tractor with a bucket and a back blade. I also have an assortment of shovels. It is kind of nice being in the shop looking out at the snow. The shop is heated with a wood stove. Even on the coldest of days I can work/play out there without a jacket.

Tyler Howell
12-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey Tyler...I recognize that double-walled stainless steel chimney pipe coming up out of your roof. Are you burning wood or coal?

Here you go John!
What do you think;)

Karl Laustrup
12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes I have a little bit of also. My snow removal equipment is a 4wd tractor with a bucket and a back blade. I also have an assortment of shovels. It is kind of nice being in the shop looking out at the snow. The shop is heated with a wood stove. Even on the coldest of days I can work/play out there without a jacket.

How 'bout a few steaks on the barbie Rod? Maybe a couple shrimp too? Might even melt some of that snow. :D

Karl

Karl Laustrup
12-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Here you go John!
What do you think;)

I know what I think. Don't invite me up until that thing is full!!!!!!:D :D

Karl

Brian Elfert
12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Well...since we moved out into the snowbelt, I've been planning on getting a snowblower. With over 600 feet of driveway and a parking lot, I figured that shoveling was just out of the question. I saved my pennies since June and finally made the plunge. This is an MTD 9HP machine. I bought it last night and got it all assembled, and the weather was kind enough to provide me with a little practice snow. Did the whole thing in about 30 minutes this morning before work. I know it'll take longer with more snow....but this 4" gave me a chance to get my sealegs.:)

How the heck do you do you do a 600 foot driveway in 30 minutes?

It takes me 30 minutes to do a 200 foot driveway with only a slightly smaller snowblower.

Brian Elfert

Mike Cutler
12-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok John, admit it. You were playing with that discharge chute like an 8 yr old, and throwing snow everwhere just for fun to see how far you could thorw it. It's okay you can admit it. I threw mine almost 45' with no wind as a personal record. You need the good snow though. The powdery stuff is too fine, and the wet stuff too heavy. Good Snowball making snow is the best for distance.

I was born and raised in So Cal, but I wouldn't leave New England now. I enjoy all of the seasons.

PS. Save your self some time and aggravation and install automatic heated waterers in the paddock, pastures and stalls. If you think mucking stalls is the bad part, wait 'til ya' have to carry around a three pound sledge to break ice in water troughs and buckets. Three empty stalls, girls in the house, and no horses in your future. I don't think soooo.....:eek: ,;)

Tyler Howell
12-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I know what I think. Don't invite me up until that thing is full!!!!!!:D :D

Karl
Karl,
That is the favorite past time of all the (city slicker) visitors.
Play with the new chain saw:rolleyes::D :D .
I got 1/3 stove chord out of a buddy before he knew he was Tom Sawyer'ed:rolleyes: :p :p
PS Grand Marais is north of Split Rock Light House about an hours drive. 75 miles SW of Thunder Bay.

John Hart
12-06-2006, 12:31 PM
How the heck do you do you do a 600 foot driveway in 30 minutes?It takes me 30 minutes to do a 200 foot driveway with only a slightly smaller snowblower.

I don't know Brian. Like I said...I'm a complete newbie at this. It may have something to do with the fact that there wasn't a heck of a lot of snow. There are 6 forward speeds and #6 is so fast that I would be in a trot trying to keep up with it....so I think I was on #4 or #5 and zinging right along. The chute has a joystick control that is effortless and the turning controls are pretty phenomenal too. I wasn't the least bit tired at the end of it.

Ok John, admit it. You were playing with that discharge chute like an 8 yr old, and throwing snow everwhere just for fun to see how far you could thorw it. It's okay you can admit it.

Ok..I admit it. I was having a ball!!:D But this was powdery....didn't get a lot of distance and a whole bunch in my face!

Horses???:eek: Neigh...neigh..;) :p

Robert Mickley
12-06-2006, 4:28 PM
Hey there Mr. Mickley!!! Nice to see you too neighbor! How's the farm holding up? We'll have to get together again once I get settled.;)

The farm is holding up just fine, the mill is coming home this weekend if things go right, so yeah come on down I'm starting to collect a whack of logs and need a couple good off bearers :D IF your really bored I can saw some beams and we could try our hands at post and beam construction!!

Laurie Brown
12-06-2006, 4:49 PM
The farm is holding up just fine, the mill is coming home this weekend if things go right, so yeah come on down I'm starting to collect a whack of logs and need a couple good off bearers :D IF your really bored I can saw some beams and we could try our hands at post and beam construction!!

Ooo, doesn't THAT sound like fun? :)

Karl Laustrup
12-06-2006, 4:57 PM
Karl,
That is the favorite past time of all the (city slicker) visitors.
Play with the new chain saw:rolleyes::D :D .
I got 1/3 stove chord out of a buddy before he knew he was Tom Sawyer'ed:rolleyes: :p :p
PS Grand Marais is north of Split Rock Light House about an hours drive. 75 miles SW of Thunder Bay.

OK. Now I've got a handle on your location. Beautiful country up that way. Definately gonna have to get up that way again now.

You let me know when them city slickers get all that "fun" stuff done. :D

Karl

John Hart
12-06-2006, 6:07 PM

That's the kind of guy he is!!! One major party animal.:D

Robert Mickley
12-06-2006, 6:13 PM

I always have fun, especially when it involves two thing
Power
Tools :D

Tom Pritchard
12-06-2006, 6:59 PM
John, I feel your joy! I live in Rochester, NY, and I LOVE WINTER! I have been shoveling and snowblowing since I was a kid, and I still get excited every time I see snow falling! I even take time off from work to drive around and play it it.

I have a neighbor who will snowblow my driveway if he gets home before me, and I'm always disappointed when he gets it before I get a chance!

I always like to see people leave here for warmer climates so that they aren't hogging all MY snow!!!:D

Congrats on the new blower! You will be glad that you have the 9 HP and the light.

Jim DeLaney
12-06-2006, 7:22 PM
John,
Looks like you'll get to use that blower tomorrow!

They're predicting (guessing) 4~6" here tonight, and 6~12" up your way, with more to come again tomorrow.

Hope you bought plenty of gas for your new toy!

Ron Journeau
12-06-2006, 7:36 PM
Just gotta hear ya the first time it doesn't start, or when you cut a shear bolt and it's 15 below with a good wind...ah memories

John Hart
12-06-2006, 9:23 PM
John, I feel your joy! I live in Rochester, NY, and I LOVE WINTER! I have been shoveling and snowblowing since I was a kid, and I still get excited every time I see snow falling! I even take time off from work to drive around and play it it. ....

All Right!!!! An Ally!!! :D Glad to know I'm not the only one who loves it! Thanks Tom.:) :)

Looks like you'll get to use that blower tomorrow!

They're predicting (guessing) 4~6" here tonight, and 6~12" up your way, with more to come again tomorrow.

Hope you bought plenty of gas for your new toy!

Yup...We're all excited about this clipper coming across the lake right now. We're going to get pummelled.:) Lot's of gas...plenty of coal for the coal burner..and the girls are crossing their fingers that school will be cancelled in the morning.:rolleyes:

Just gotta hear ya the first time it doesn't start, or when you cut a shear bolt and it's 15 below with a good wind...ah memories

The machine came with two spare shear pins and a handy little compartment for them. I guess this is a common occurance eh?:)

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2006, 9:26 PM
John - put a pair of needle nose pliers in that compartment too. This is one of those been there without that things.

John Hart
12-06-2006, 9:37 PM
John - put a pair of needle nose pliers in that compartment too. This is one of those been there without that things.

Gotcha. I'm headed out there now. I'll stow them away before I forget. It's going to be a fun morning.:)

Jim DeLaney
12-07-2006, 1:36 PM
So John,
Was there enough snow to bother with this morning?

We only got about two inches here, although they say we'll get some more tonight.

What we got was dry enough that I used the leaf blower to clean off the deck and sidewalk. Haven't even bothered with the driveway. Maybe if we get three or four more inches...

Adam Bauer
12-07-2006, 2:35 PM
Man do I miss the snow. I grew up in mid-state New York and actually enjoyed shoveling snow. Now i live in Texas and if there is even a hint that we might get a light dusting schools start closing, people call in sick and the news people get ready for their "hard hitting coverage of the winter blast!!"

Laurie Brown
12-07-2006, 2:41 PM
That is the funniest thing about moving south. Up in Rochester going to school or work in 2 or 3 feet of snow was commonplace. Here in Roanoke, if they get less than an inch it's a major storm and schools close, people leave work early, etc. I shrug and say What's the big deal? It's less than a foot, isn't it? :)

John Hart
12-07-2006, 3:09 PM
So John,
Was there enough snow to bother with this morning?.....

Nope...All we had this morning before I went to work was a dusting of a couple inches...but the brunt of the storm was hitting as I was headed to work. I'm told that I'm looking at 7" waiting for me after work and then an additional 6-8 tonight..so that oughta be a half way decent test of the machine.

Oh...and I found a tennis ball in the driveway under the snow this morning. Dang Dogs!!!:rolleyes:

Al Willits
12-07-2006, 4:48 PM
Seems I mentioned chew toys and such...:)
Welcome to the snowblowers club, btw if you hate your neighbor, chew toys ain't all you can launch into their yard...:)

Sear pin eating seems to a way of life for some blowers, used to use grade 8, 1/4" bolts in the last couple of ones I had, especially after they were out of warrt.
Latest one seems to be doing ok, (8hp) but if it gets to start eating them, it'll get the bolts also, its off warrt now too.

btw, you snow happy guys are more than welcome to mine, its prutty but it ain't fun no more.
Al

John Hart
12-08-2006, 7:59 AM
This morning went pretty good. I expected a bunch of snow overnight so I got up at 5:00 just in case. A little coffee...a little SMC...then I headed out. Seems that most of the work was done by the wind, but I had some decent sized drifts to deal with.

Our driveway is a giant T, where there's 200 feet worth of "stem" and then 100-150 feet of a cross, then a parking lot. Plus, the cross continues on to the neighbors who are 300 feet away. It went so well that I decide to plow to the neighbors property since they use that drive quite a bit to tend to their deer and birds and stuff.

In all, it took 45 minutes....so I think that's a pretty good indicator.

Yes....it was cold.;) 16 degrees and 15 mph winds = 4 wind chill. 'Course, it's 86 in the house because I haven't learned how to properly regulate the coal burner. I'm cookin' now.:eek:

Robert Mickley
12-08-2006, 8:35 AM
Yes....it was cold.;) 16 degrees and 15 mph winds = 4 wind chill. 'Course, it's 86 in the house because I haven't learned how to properly regulate the coal burner. I'm cookin' now.:eek:

So the next project is an outdoor boiler right?

You can always come plow mine if you get bored :D

Keel McDonald
12-08-2006, 8:46 AM
That is the funniest thing about moving south. Up in Rochester going to school or work in 2 or 3 feet of snow was commonplace. Here in Roanoke, if they get less than an inch it's a major storm and schools close, people leave work early, etc. I shrug and say What's the big deal? It's less than a foot, isn't it? :)

Funny you should mention that. I've lived here (TN) most all my life. A guy I go to church with just moved here a year or two ago from upstate NY. The first time it snowed here (about 1-2") he laughed at the schools being closed. That very day he was out driving and wound up having to be towed out of a ditch. That's the thing about TN, it doesn't take much with the hills, curves, etc, to get yourself in a mess. Needless to say, he doesn't laugh anymore when schools are called off.