PDA

View Full Version : First HFs

Jack Riley
12-05-2006, 6:18 PM
http://i112photobucket.com/albums/Since this is my first post of an actual completed item, I gather from other new people that some form of introduction is appropriate. I am retired from the Marines medically with my own set of built-in hardware and as an old geologist. My wife of 42 years and I live on a small farm in NE Alabama. We have two fine sons and two wonderful DILs and one granddaughter that melts my heart.

I first turned in an 8th grade shop class and loved it! I always told my wife that when I retired I would learn how to do it right. My Oneway lathe arrived in March and I turned a few pieces but due to continuing medical problems I've had to wait until I'm improved to start back. Hopefully soon!

I attempted my first and second HF in the summer from a piece of Bradford Pear that I picked up at the county wood dump. I know the taller piece is too wide on the bottom but other than that I felt ok with them, or at least my wife likes them. The first piece is 5-3/8h x 4-3/8w. Both pieces have a 1" opening and 3/16 walls. The shorter piece is 4-3/8w x 3-7/8h. I used three coats of Watco natural and then after several weeks of curing, buffed them out with all three wheels. I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 6:30 PM
Jack,

Welcome to SMC. I'm an old Alabama boy myself. Worked on Redstone Arsenal for 17-1/2 years and was raised in North Alabama. All my relatives live in Bammy.

BTW, you don't have to use Photobucket to post a picture. When composing a post, scroll down and click on "Manage Attachments", navigate to a location on your pc where the pic is and upload it. That way, your pic will always be a part of SMC...even when Photobucket is down for some reason.

Once again, Welcome to SMC!!!!

Jack Riley
12-05-2006, 6:39 PM
Thanks Dennis! Let me know if you're ever close to Boaz.

Jack

John Hart
12-05-2006, 7:23 PM
Welcome Jack!! Great to have the Marines guardin' the place!:)

Nice looking pieces both! I would agree that the bottom may be a tad wide...however, it does have its own unique character that is attractive. I'm especially fond of the other one though. That's a very holdable piece for sure. great job on the openings too!:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2006, 7:41 PM
Jack, Welcome to the Creek!! Nice looking hollow forms. I agree that the first one could be a little narrower on the bottom but hey - that's a judgement call. Both forms have a great finish! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2006, 7:45 PM
All right, Jack! Good looking stuff. I like the shorter one best.

Only recommendation I have is to find a different color for your backdrop. The contrast is so dramatic that I find it rather distracting. Gray and black seem to be very popular.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2006, 8:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jack! Both of your HF are nice and I really like the shorter one!.......BTW.......Thanks for your service to our country.....and that from an 8 year Navy vet!

Mark Pruitt
12-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Welcome, Jack! I'm a Birmingham boy, lived there 44 years until a better job brought me to Virginia. Nice turnings! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Welcome Jack to SMC. Those are some mighty fine looking HF. Nice job.

Tom Sherman
12-06-2006, 6:14 PM
Welcome to the funny farm Jack, those are some fine turnings Looking forward to seeing more.

A marine myself 69 to 76
Semper Fi

Christopher K. Hartley
12-06-2006, 6:51 PM
SHOWOFF!

Really, nice job there. Keep it up Jack!:)

Travis Stinson
12-06-2006, 7:22 PM
Welcome aboard Jack. VERY nice 1st HFs! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :cool:

Mark Cothren
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Welcome Jack! Great start! Keep 'em coming.

Keith Burns
12-08-2006, 8:34 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jack ! Nice start, keep them coming:) :)

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2006, 8:42 AM
Welcome to the Creek! Great work, Hope you get better and are able to start turning again.