PDA

View Full Version : Second Cherry Bowl and a ?

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2006, 5:51 PM
Bowl is 10” x 4 1/8” x 9/16”, finish is Watco then buffed.

Question for the experts out there – how do you measure the thickness of the sides of deep bowl when you are hollowing it out? I ask because I normally use my fingers or a small caliper but when making a larger bowl I can’t get my hands – or the caliper down into the corner area to accurately measure. This bowl starts out at 9/16” and the bottom center area is 9/16” but the curved area is around 3/4”. Everything felt fine while making it but it just didn’t feel right while buffing it out. Little late to be re-turning the bowl at that point – without a vacuum chuck. Any suggestions on how to measure the side thickness in a deeper bowl while turning?
51863 51864 51865 51866

Oh yeah, I would appreciate any comments on the bowl also!

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 6:21 PM
Steve,

What I do on large or deep bowls I use both of my hands. Left hand on the outside of the bowl, right hand on the inside of the bowl, Close your eyes and pay attention to the thickness your hands are now "judging". You'd be surprised at how close you can get things just by feel. With practice, you can actually get pretty good at this method. Is it dead accurate? No, but it's close enough for me to call is "good". :D

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2006, 6:32 PM
Thanks Dennis - normally I do what you suggested. This time however I was way off base. Figure there has to be a more reliable way to do things.

Ernie Nyvall
12-05-2006, 6:33 PM
Very nice bowl Steve. I have a big set of calipers that have about an 8" reach. You can also make some out of 1/4" plywood. What Dennis wrote works well too.

Ted Calver
12-05-2006, 7:51 PM
Steve,
Make a caliper out of stiff wire bent onto a pincer shape. Set the distance between the points to an inch. Insert one leg into the bowl and keep the point in contact with the wood. You can see the wall thickness relative to the outer point as you move it around inside the bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2006, 8:28 PM
Ted - Thanks! That's exactly the simple kind of idea I was looking for. Sometimes you just have to say duh!

John Hart
12-05-2006, 8:49 PM
Measure your work???!!!!:eek: You guys say the darndest things.:rolleyes:

Beautiful bowl Steve! You do nice work!:)

George Tokarev
12-06-2006, 7:44 AM
By eye, normally, then by touch. That's about the limit of what I expect anyone to do. Only another turner would measure and care about the thickness of something that looked good and had a fair curve.

Of course, another turner'd look at the bottom, too.

Where thin counts, I like these http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=43201&cat=1,43513,43550 They reach almost anywhere, read quickly, and aren't outrageously priced.

Frank Kobilsek
12-06-2006, 8:52 AM
Steve
Big calipers are a help but I find myself ending up with similar results. After awhile I got a feel for the areas that I was alway thicker than I had hoped to be. So I after I am close to finish thickness I go back and make an effort to thin up that area. Last weekend I made 9 'matching' walnut bowls for a customer. By the ninth one I was impressing myself with my consistent wall thickness and perception of the thickness. I don't like to make matching stuff but it was a good experience.
Frank

jeremy levine
12-06-2006, 9:39 AM
Thick or thin it is a very nice bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
That bowl is a beauty. Nice job.

Mark Cothren
12-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Steve, that's a great lookin' bowl!

Keith Burns
12-08-2006, 8:32 AM
Excellent bowl Steve ! Great form and finish:) :) :)

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2006, 8:48 AM
Great looking bowl Steve. The finish job look great also. I use Dennis's method on wall thickness and whenever I mess up a bowl or it cracks or something I cut it in half on the bandsaw so I can see how I am doing on wall thickness.