PDA

View Full Version : Bow ties & dovetails & puppy dog tails

Al Navas
12-05-2006, 2:31 PM
This project started as a pilot for another project. The design developed as I went, in close consultation with LOML. She made suggestions that improved the overall appearance a whole bunch!

The main idea was to play the thin inlay color against the much larger bow ties, and have both play against the base. I believe we achieved the objective. However, I put it up here for this tough audience. Please feel free to comment.

This little treasure box is going to a very special client in New York City: My favorite aunt. It will be stuffed with chocolates and other special goodies for Christmas.

It is made of plain-sawn sycamore, with walnut for the base and all the inlays. Both trees came from our property. There is some evidence of quarter-sawn sycamore on some of the boards - I wish I had had all of QS for this little box.

The finishing schedule was as follows, using Target Coatings' waterborne materials - only wax will be applied to the inside walls:

1. HSF5100 grain filler, to ensure a smooth surface on the walnut. Two applications.
2. Two coats of blonde shellac (Oxford UltraSeal-WB)
3. Six coats of lacquer (Oxford Ultima Spray Lacquer)
4. Renaissance wax (next week)

The Brusso hardware consists of two 10-mm barrel hinges, and one 1/2-inch lid stay mortised into the left-hand side of the box.

The box is resting in the house right now, with temps in the high 60s (normally I keep the shop around 60°F to 63° in the winter). In about five days I will apply Renaissance wax, and then will ship it to NYC. Hopefully it will arrive in time for Christmas.

Thanks for looking!

Don Bullock
12-05-2006, 4:09 PM
Beautiful work!!!

Jim Becker
12-05-2006, 4:10 PM
Al, that's really kewel!! And a great gift, too...

Mike Parzych
12-05-2006, 4:48 PM
That's just stunning - in concept and execution. I just gotta remember to try that dark/light contrast!!!

Al Navas
12-05-2006, 6:02 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, Don, Jim, and Mike.

It is truly enjoyable to be able to do a project like this one without sticking to anything that may be pre-set. Just let it flow! :D

Now, I must start the actual project I had in mind when I started this little box. I hope I don't have to get any lumber for it, but really do need some QS sycamore.