PDA

View Full Version : box joints question

greg sofranko
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
very new to making box joints and this forum.
i've made some test runs with my new box joint jig. i planed some scrap pine down to a half inch and made the cuts half inch x half inch - spaced half inch apart. they fit together nicely but fairly tight. i keep trying to figure how to make the joint a bit looser for gluing and assembly. i'm using a dewalt dado blade set.
should i move my jig closer to the blade or put spacers in the blade after the jig is set up? can't figure it out.
feel free to email if you like.
thanks,
greg

glenn bradley
12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
A slightly wider dado cut will make the slots wider and the pins narrower. remember that the adjustment will be multiplied by two. That is, 1/128th wider dado equals 1/64th total increase in "looseness".

ROBERT ELLIS
12-05-2006, 2:40 PM
A slight rap with a hammer on the jig itself will usually tighten of loosen the joint. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't remember what the instruction sheet that came with my Freud Box Joint Blade set said which direction to move the jig in/out to correct the problem. Might try trial and error, and once you correct the problem, permanently mark your jig accordingly.Robert

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-05-2006, 6:07 PM
Box joints want to be fairly snug.
Not hammer tight but snug.
I apply glue - wait a bit to let the glue settle in - then shove 'em together.

Ralph Okonieski
12-05-2006, 7:12 PM
Greg,

Does the Freud box joint blade really cut flat bottom joints? Or is it just pretty close to flat? Just curious, am thinking about buying their blade. Thanks.

Jim Becker
12-05-2006, 7:17 PM
Ralph, I don't have the Freud box-joint blade set, but my understanding is that it cuts dead flat without the "wings" that many a dado cutter set will leave in the same situation.

Brian Knodel
12-05-2006, 7:34 PM
Ralf … Jim is right, they do cut flat and smooth. What Jim and some others calls “wings” I have heard them called “devils ears” in any event they are gone with the Freud box cutter blades.

Brian

ROBERT ELLIS
12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Greg,

Does the Freud box joint blade really cut flat bottom joints? Or is it just pretty close to flat? Just curious, am thinking about buying their blade. Thanks.
Ralph,

I own a set and they make a perfect box joint. They come with complete instructions. I had never made a box joint, so when I made my first box it came out perfect. If you ever need to make any adjustments you simply move the jig in/out just a hair. I made my jig patterned after 3 plans I had seen in Wood, FWW, and another source. By making the jig capable of slight adjustment, the making of box joints don't get much simpler.

Robert