PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Resin Glue Shelf Life

Dick Rowe
12-05-2006, 5:08 AM
I purchased two tubs of DAP plastic resin glue a year ago, and never gave much thought to shelf life figuring the powder would last indefinitely if stored properly in a low humidty area (like flour). I don't use it a lot, and have quite a bit remaining .. in fact I haven't even cracked the original seal on one of the packages.

I was recently reading somewhere about the shelf life of this glue, and the article said that after a year it would start to lose it's effectiveness and would eventually not work at all.

Figuring I may have to "use it or lose it", I went on the DAP site and the information there said that the shelf life was one year - MINIMUM.

Questions ... what is your experience with the longevity of this type of product? Is there any way to tell if the powder is no longer effective BEFORE using it on a project other than mixing up a small batch and testing it first?

Thanks.

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Dick,

I always test some before using it on a project...especially when I suspect it may be "old". One thing that appears to help is to snap the lid on very tight and then turn the container upside down. This is "supposed" to help prevent air penetration and thus aging the glue prematurely. I've had two tubs bad before and I'm pretty sure they were both over 1 year old. It would mix up ok, but after an overnight clamping, the joints could easily be pulled apart.
Hope this help. Just my experience with it.