PDA

View Full Version : unisaw 34-761: $700 -- worth it?

Gil Liu
12-05-2006, 1:40 AM
Hi All,

There is an older Unisaw for sale near me: 1 1/2 hp, single phase, model # 34-761. The fence rides along metal tubes and is 50" or so. I currently have a Jet contractor's saw with a Powermatic Accufence and am a hobbyist working in a basement. In my mind, the cabinet (for dust collection) and larger cast-iron table are big plusses. I wish it were 3hp -- but the 1 1/2hp motor in my current saw seems to be plenty. It looks well-cared for -- little rust and alignment/table flatness is good. The manual for both the saw and the fence are available and the seller claims it cost $1600 new.

Would appreciate advice.

Gil

Jeffrey Makiel
12-05-2006, 7:00 AM
Gil,
This model brings back memories from when I purchase a Unisaw in 1990.

Delta offered a Unisaw with only a 1.5HP motor. I'm guessing they did this to create a 'hybrid' version to get some of the folks that are displeased with a contractor saw and only have 120V power. But, this is only my guess.

My saw also came with a 'tube' style fence/rail. I believed it was called a Jet-Lok fence. It was a poor fence by today's standards and I soon upgraded to an aftermarket commercial fence. I also believe it only has a rip capacity of about 25".

This saw is probably also a right tilt model like mine. If I were to do it again, I would buy a left tilt.

The motor cannot be easily swapped out. Delta uses a motor with a unique mount only available as a Delta replacement part. I suspect a 3HP motor would be near $300 to $400.

I believe that this saw was about $1300 retail street price in the early 1990s. A motor cover, dado throat plate, mobile base, and extension tables were expensive options. You need the motor cover in order to have some effective saw dust collection from the cabinet.

Given the true hybrids today, and the fact that they are built in China or Taiwan at low cost, $700 seems pricey. I'm guessing somewhere around $500 would be better. Further, I would not go by the original cost. Things have changed in the tablesaw retail market in the last 15 years, and new hybrid saws in this class are abundant between $800 and $1000 with lots of nice features.

Good Luck.

cheers, Jeff :)

Allen Bookout
12-05-2006, 8:42 AM
Seems to me that Jeffrey covered everything very well. The best two things bout my unisaw are the 3hp motor and the great fence. If it were me, since you are not desperate for a saw, I would keep shoping untill a better model comes along and it should not cost you a whole lot more if you can find a good buy.

Matt Moore
12-05-2006, 9:12 AM
IMHO, not a good deal. I have seen many 3hp Unisaws with a Beismeier or Unifence for between 700-900 that are in good working order.

Cory Newman
12-05-2006, 9:18 AM
I guess I'll be the voice of dissention. You didn't specify how old, the older Unisaws with the bullet motor were only 1 1/2 hp and are plenty of motor.

The jet lock fence leaves a little to be desired, but you probably could swap the fence from the contractor's that you have.

If it is a newer saw (unlikely with the jet lock fence) it might be a tilting arbor saw instead of a unisaw.

I bought a vintage Unisaw and put a 52" biesmeyer fence on it, and couldn't be happier. Sold my near new contractors and never looked back.

Alex Shanku
12-05-2006, 9:40 AM
Sounds more like the 10" tilting arbor saw.

Not disputing you, but I have a 10" tilting arbor saw with a 1.5hp motor. Mine came with the 52" Unifence and I only paid 200$ for it.

Better deals out there either way, imo.

Jamie Buxton
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I have that saw. I bought it new in 1979 for $1400. I use it daily, and it has given fine service. 1 1/2 hp works well; I have never stalled it in 25 years of use. It is built like a brick outhouse -- heavy-guage steel base, big cast iron table, etc.

I've upgraded the fence on mine to a Biesmeyer clone, added wheels, and added a saw-mounted outfeed table.

I can't comment on the value versus new hybrids. Of all the tools in my shop, this is the one I've never even considered replacing.

Gil Liu
12-05-2006, 12:13 PM
All,

Many thanks for your insights! I'll see if I can talk him down a bit more. It is not a tilting arbor saw; I'll check into the year-of-make as well. If I bought the saw, I probably would keep my Accufence -- seems to work fine for me.

Sincerely,
Gil

Glen Blanchard
12-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't think it is worth it. You have so many good choices nowadays and can do very well in the used market. As an example, last week I sold my 3 hp Jet left-tilt cabinet saw with 30" (X-acta commercial) Biesemeyer clone fence, mobile base and Biesemeyer snap-in splitter for $900. The kicker is that it was only 20 months old and looks as new.

My recommendation would be to keep looking.

glenn bradley
12-05-2006, 1:13 PM
That's the street price of some of the hybrids that have more power and come with a Biesemeyer fence. I'd shop around a bit more. Just MHO.