PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak platter NE

Joash Boyton
12-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi, just a quick thread, I have made a sheoak platter, I purposely left the natural edge on, but now it looks broken sort of. I like it, but others don't. What are your opinioons? SHould I cut it back to the burnt line, or leave it as is?

Sanded to 600G, and then finished with a satin finish. 13"x4".

I'll try and get a profile shot. Is there not enough background contrast? Should I re take the shots?

Anyway, all criticism accepted.

Joash

Jonathon Spafford
12-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I love the edge with the burn line coming next to it, but the edge does look broken. Could you cut away down to the burn line and create anothe burn line the same distance away from the edge to recreate a similar edge. Other than the break, the shape is beautiful!!!

Gary DeWitt
12-05-2006, 2:28 AM
In my humble opinion, if there was more NE eslewhere on the piece, it would look more intentional, and people would tend to "get it" and like it more. As it is, it does look broken rather than artistic.
As far as the photos, for this forum they're certainly adequate, but for selling the platter, as on your web site or in a printed brochure, a more contrasting background would look better.
I've looked at your site, and like your turnings quite a bit.

Joash Boyton
12-05-2006, 2:41 AM
Hi guys, thanks for that. I think I'll try and sell it, and see what happens, modern people have such a funny sense of good work. I took a turners nightmare in to a gallery the other day, full of splits, etc: They all fell in love with it straight away. I will try it, and if it does'nt sell, I'll knock off the dge.

Thanks, I try and do something different each time.

Joash

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-05-2006, 8:32 AM
I'd might try to burn the edge with a torch then sand the flat down to clean wood to make the NE look more bark like. Worth a shot on a piece of scrap to see the effect.

Chris LaPine
12-05-2006, 8:02 PM
Another option would be to square the bowl partially on the edge to create an artistic look while still preserving some of the character of the natural edge.
Chris

Jack Riley
12-06-2006, 8:59 AM
I think that I would burn the edge of the damaged area and then display it in a verticle plate holder, damaged side down. After all, it is very nice display piece.