PDA

View Full Version : JET MINI LATHE - Shelf Ideas Needed

Steven DeMars
12-04-2006, 9:56 PM
Hello:

My wife and I just un-boxed our JET MINI LATHES with JET Adjustable Stands . . . .

Looking for suggestions as to customizing:

Suggestions on under lathe - table/shelf - size, design, etc . . .
Someplace to lay a tool while making adjustments, tool changes, etc .
I have seen a few in videos, but could not get a clear idea what they had done. A picture are two would be appreciated. . .

Any other ideas that will help us better set-up the Jet Mini's . . .

Any organizational ideas as to tools, chucks, jaws, etc . . .

We are thinking a coomon rolling cart for our tools, chucks, jaws, etc . .

By the way, the lathe really is the smaller investment ! ! ! ! So many neat tools and accessories :) :) . . . . .

Thanks in advance,
Steve

John Hart
12-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I've been messing around with the same thoughts. Just built a bench and I intend to incorporate drawers and shelves into it.... eventually.:rolleyes: The main concern I have is with regard to shavings. My last bench accumulated shavings so fast that I could never find anything. I think I want to figure out some sort of visor thingamajig....like a car visor...that can be lifted up to get to a shelf or drawer, but be down when I'm turning.

Yes...I'm insane.:)

Jon Shively
12-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I cut a bevel on a 1x4 and drilled eight holes (at the same bevel) and attached it to the right side of my lathe. I am right handed so is working very well. Only problem, my duplicator arrived last week (might have a bunch of small sized baseball bats to make) and the handles were in the way. But with the duplicator, won't use them so I figure not that much of a problem.

Stephen Hibbs
12-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I just use an open box I made, I think 18" x 12 x 3. It fills up with shavings, but not as much as I'd expect considering it sits in the undercarriage of the lathe. It's an easy way to go. If you put a handle on the end like I did, you can cart it around fairly easily.

Gary DeWitt
12-05-2006, 3:13 AM
I built a stand that has a cabinet full of drawers added into it to help weight it down. It was cheap to build, but like John said, it does collect chips fast! There is a thread labeled Okay... Y'all got me into this, now help me from a year ago, right around 11-25, three pages long with pics of people's lathe stands and shop setups, should help if you can find it. I would repost my reply from that thread, but this forum does not want to post the pics again for some reason. Perhaps the above title will come out as a link you can follow.

Nope, didn't work. Perhaps the moderator could help out? I can't seem to find help in the faqs as to how to quote an old thread, or how to link to it in a current reply?

Mark Pruitt
12-05-2006, 7:52 AM
There is a thread labeled Okay... Y'all got me into this, now help me from a year ago, right around 11-25, three pages long with pics of people's lathe stands and shop setups, should help if you can find it.
You mean this one?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26808

Steve Hayes
12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I have a Craftsmam roll around tool box that I have built a top for and mounted the lathe. Has 5 or 6 drawers to store all of the chucks jaws and such. I will try and get a pic for ya.

Mark Pruitt
12-05-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a Craftsmam roll around tool box that I have built a top for and mounted the lathe. Has 5 or 6 drawers to store all of the chucks jaws and such. I will try and get a pic for ya.
Steve, that sounds like a pretty easy and effective solution. How well do the locking casters keep the unit stabilized during turning operations?

Adam Bauer
12-05-2006, 12:39 PM
I've currently got my lathe on an old dryer in my garage. I guess I could turn the inside of the dryer into the tool storage.

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Hello:

My wife and I just un-boxed our JET MINI LATHES ..... Now that's what I call a pre-emptive abysseration!

Way to go Steven!

Steven DeMars
12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggetsions . .

Steve

Nancy Laird
12-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Steven, you can take a look at this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44995 - and see the lathe stand that my hubby built for my mini. Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it works for me.

Nancy

Steve Hayes
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Steven,
It's very stable when you lock them. I took some pics and will post them.

Nancy Laird
12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Now that's what I call a pre-emptive abysseration!

Way to go Steven!

Not only that, but it was surely a GLOAT in the first degree. TWO minis??? What a nice early Christmas.

Nancy